News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV: Backing Off:Authentication error

Started by Sceva, December 04, 2011, 12:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceva

I have an OBI110 with GV as sp1 and callcentric as sp2. Everything works fine when I am connected to the internet with the local cable company.  I also have dsl internet with the phone company which I would like to move the OBI110 to.  When I switch the OBI110 to the dsl modem, GV never connects (callcentric connects fine, OBiTalk sees the device - everything else seems to be working).  

It always says 'Backing Off (xxxs):Authentication error'.  I know all the settings are ok because if I switch the ethernet cable back to the cable modem it connects immediately.

The dsl modem is an Actiontec DSL Gateway thru Qwest (Centurylink).  I tried a few weeks ago with the same results, and have just gotten back to trying again.

Could Qwest be blocking some ports?  Is there a log file I can look at?  Any other ideas? Thanks.

Some more details: just updated to firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2651), no change. 
At first I used the OBiTalk site to configure the settings, but at that time (about 4 weeks ago) there was some issue with the settings wizard, and since I have been making all changes thru the admin page of the 110.

Stewart

I doubt that Qwest is blocking any ports.  IMO, it's more likely that the modem is configured as a router (if you entered your DSL user name and password into the modem, it is) and is causing trouble.

Assuming GT701 (if not, post modem model), manual is here http://www.actiontec.com/products/manuals/GT701DSLModem.pdf .

Try setting Firewall Security Level to Basic (see page 46).

It no luck, try setting modem for Transparent Bridging (see page 35).  With bridging, you will then have to set up your router for PPPoE and enter the DSL user name and password there.  There is some risk that you will lose Internet access or lose control of the modem, if something goes wrong with the setup.  Should that happen, see page 6 for how to reset the modem to factory settings.  Of course, you will then have to set it up again.

If you still have trouble, please post exact make/model/version of modem and router.

Sceva

The modem is a GT701-WG. The firewall was/is turned off.  I did notice a firmware update for it so I installed it, but no change.  It is configured as a router.

I set the modem to Trans. Bridging, plugged in a router and configured the pppoe settings.  I got internet access but still got the backing off message. I have tried leaving it connected for awhile, powering down for 10 minutes, configured it thru OBITalk, but no change.

I plugged it back into the cable modem router (same router as above) and it works fine.  Argh! 

I just saw where to submit a support ticket to OBi, so I will do that and let you know what I find.

Thanks.

Stewart

In the OBi Network Settings, try setting DNSServer1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNSServer2 to 4.2.2.2 .

Sceva

Sceva

When the device is booting up the status' are:
Resolving DNS
Connecting to 209.85.225.125
Backing Off (885s):Authentication error

Stewart

209.85.225.125 is a legitimate Google address, so it's IMO unlikely that it's a DNS issue, unless GV is using a SRV record (sorry, I don't know).  Other possiblities are Qwest blocking the port, which also seems unlikely, or Qwest having a proxy on the port (related to some other service but messing up GV).  Surprisingly, I don't see other posts with this issue.

It would be interesting to see a Wireshark trace for the failing case, especially since you have a working case for comparison.  Do you have a way for your PC to "see" the OBi traffic?  Possibilities include a dumb hub, a managed switch, or a PC with two NICs.  For example, you might connect the PC to the (cable or DSL) Internet through your router via Wi-Fi, then share the connection to the PC's Ethernet port, where you would connect the OBi.  (You would likely need a crossover cable or intervening switch, though it may work with a straight cable, if you have GbE.)

Sceva

Does GV on the OBi use a different port than Google chat or Google voice from the computer?  Because I can use chat and Voice without a problem from a computer using both the cable modem and the dsl router.

What are the port number(s)?

Stewart

Sorry, I know almost nothing about XMPP.  According to RFC 6120, it uses TCP ports 5222 and 5269.  I believe that there is some non-standard stuff in Gmail and it may be different in this regard.

Sceva

Thanks so much for your help Stewart.  I may try the Wireshark later if I have time.  I am afraid it will take a couple of hours to get it set up and figure out how to trace.  I am already getting frustrated...

But since google voice and chat works from my computer it appears the ports are open.

Sceva

I haven't had time to work on it today, but I did notice I lost internet connection several times today on the cable modem - more reason to get the dsl working! 

I made a support ticket with OBi but haven't heard anything - it has been over 48 hours.  Is there support usually this slow?  Or should I call for better service?

rynfmurphy

did you by chance ever get this fixed?  Starting on the 4th as well I started to have this same problem where my OBi110 would no longer connect to my GV account - saying 'backing off, authentication error'.  I've even tried changing my password, confirming that I can make a call from the gmail web interface, and completely resetting my obi110 (and even trying it on a brand new obi100), and I still get the same issue. 

Sceva

I am going to work on it again this afternoon and will let you know what happens.  Are you using Qwest/Centurylink?

Sceva

I had a couple of things come up yesterday and did not get to this, but I am happy to report that it is working today!

Here are the exact steps I took:

• The 110 was connected to a router that was connected to the cable modem and everything was working.
  • I removed power from the 110 and waited 30 seconds.
  • I removed the 110's ethernet cable from the router and plugged it into the dsl modem, which was powered on.
  • I connected my computer to the dsl modem wirelessly.
  • Powered up the 110, waited a few seconds, and it connected!!

I don't know what changed.  The only thing I did differently was waiting 30 seconds on the power cycle.

Since the dsl modem only has 1 ethernet port, I reconfigured my router to act as a switch, plugged it into the modem, and the 110 into the router, along with my computer, and it connected again.

So everything is working as it should, but I have no clue as to the reason it did not work for the previous 2 weeks....

Thanks to everyone for their help.

rynfmurphy

for those of you who may have a similar issue, turns out my problem was google's 2-step verification was stopping the obi110 from authenticating (as per obisupport's response to my helpdesk ticket).  All I had to do was generate a one off password for my obi110 to use for logging in:

Quote- Disable 2-step authentication if you are enabled it.
or here is way to make it work:
http://www.obihai.com/googlevoiceFAQ.html#10

Sceva

Sad to say it is backing off again this morning.  I do not have 2 step authorization set up.

Rick

Quote from: Sceva on December 11, 2011, 12:44:27 PM
I had a couple of things come up yesterday and did not get to this, but I am happy to report that it is working today!

Here are the exact steps I took:

• The 110 was connected to a router that was connected to the cable modem and everything was working.
  • I removed power from the 110 and waited 30 seconds.
  • I removed the 110's ethernet cable from the router and plugged it into the dsl modem, which was powered on.
  • I connected my computer to the dsl modem wirelessly.
  • Powered up the 110, waited a few seconds, and it connected!!

I don't know what changed.  The only thing I did differently was waiting 30 seconds on the power cycle.

Since the dsl modem only has 1 ethernet port, I reconfigured my router to act as a switch, plugged it into the modem, and the 110 into the router, along with my computer, and it connected again.

So everything is working as it should, but I have no clue as to the reason it did not work for the previous 2 weeks....

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Powering the OBi off and then on, or rebooting it, was likely what did it. 

Sceva

Yes, it seems to work if I unplug power for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in.