News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Speed dialing eludes me

Started by LeeG, June 24, 2013, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeG

I'm a new Obi110 owner and I can't figure out setting up speed dialing for the life of me. I'm technical and I've read everything I can find and still no go.

I use Google Voice and I want to do something simple initially. I want to speed dial GV voicemail on SD 3. So, on the OBiTalk portal I've tried various things, such as

My vmail # - 2223333
or SP1(2223333)
or 999222333
or **12223333

Usually, I get a "can't complete the call" msg. When I query Obi, using *753, I get "the value is not available".  When I do *751 or *722 I get values. So, to test I copied the value from SD2 into SD3. Same result.

I'd like to think I'm not stupid, but I sure feel like it at the moment. Any help greatly appreciated.

Shale

If your GV is the default line to dial out on, you can just put the 11 digits of your GV phone number, starting with the 1. So in the number is 1202-555-1234 put 12025551234.

The inital 1 is probably optional.

You could also put **112025551234 if GV is on SP1.

LeeG

Yes, GV is the default (and only) line to dial out on. I tried both suggestions and got the same result. When I try the speed dial I get "we can't complete your call". When I try *753 to query SD 3, I get "the number is not available.

I am saving the numbers when I enter them - they're there when I log back in, but its like they're really not getting saved to the device or something. I'm not sure what physically happens when I save from the portal.

The fact that I can copy a known good working number from SD 1 or 2 tells me its not the number, or its format. Its something else I don't understand. 

As I type this, I'm thinking of a potential issue. I have two routers bridged together by Ethernet, as I needed extra ports. The Obi110 is connected to the bridged router.  I don't know how the portal communicates back to the OBi110. Maybe it can't. If that's the case, I'm not sure how everything else, including the setup would have worked. Just a thought.

Shale

On your OBi Dashboard at "My OBi Endpoints" there should be a green icon in the Status column if you are connected.

LeeG

Ok, the bridged router was the issue. It showed I was connected from the OBITalk dashboard, but there must have been a routing issue. I moved the Obi to a port on the primary router and I was able to setup a speed dial.

MiaB

Help. First experience with VOIP phone setup. Configured speed dial in Obitalk portal but when I dial one number that I specified to be speed dialed, for example 9 (I dial 9#), I get the message "the number you have dialed could not be recognized."

Shale

In your local OBi web interface, I would look at Status>Call History to see what is being dialed.