News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi to Obi calls - looking for clarity about dashboard shutdown next year

Started by chmedly, December 18, 2022, 01:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmedly

I've so far assumed that Obi to Obi calls will no longer work after the shutdown of the dashboard. But I've also read suggestion that the dashboard will still be running for provisioning devices with various providers and some functionality will remain. So I'm looking for confirmation about whether Obi to Obi calls will continue to work after Dec 2023.

* So, the Obitalk dashboard portal is the publicly available server that devices can "always" connect to. WRT Obi to Obi calling, does it simply coordinate public ip addresses/routes for peer to peer connections? Or, does it act as an actual relay for the data of the Obi to Obi calls?

It sure would be nice if we could build our own server for these functions. Perhaps there's a way to use asterisk for this with Obi devices?
..Asking for a friend. 

azrobert

You can use Callcentric's free IP Freedom account to make OBi to OBi calls. You can also route outbound calls to a provider defined on a remote OBi.

Setup Callcentric with 2 or more extensions. Register each OBi on a different extension. Call the other OBi using its extension number. Routing outbound calls is more complicated. I'll post the instructions if there is any interest.

https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/ip_freedom/

billagreste

Ive found a way to continue using Google Voice as my home landline system without obitalk.  I have not wanted to give up the free landline voip service because of the 2023 shutdown.

I am documenting it in a video and will publish to my youtube channel "Aggie Do It" hopefully by the Xmas holiday.  You'll need a $35.00 hardware component one time cost but you can transfer over Google Voice and continue voip service free without Polycom or Obitalk.

Im going to miss this service but i wont give up Google Voice as my landline.

If you are in a hurry, reach me via Youtube and ill outline how to do it, but the video will explain it all..

www.youtube.com/@aggiedoit7232