News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Speed Dial & Transfer & such

Started by Maine_Yankee, January 01, 2023, 03:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine_Yankee

So I'm trying to setup {_and_use_} speed dials.

I have set up two 202's, over Callcentric, for friends. They have summer/winter homes. All 3 of their DID's appear on both 202's, and that part is fine. After way too much futzing around, CC & I have set it up so each has its correct 911 address, and if the vacant location has its data feed suspended off-season, the other continues to work. They love it.

Usually spouses are together at A, or at B, but sometimes it is one at each location. I got the idea to set up CC speeddials at each location with their Obi's numbers so they could call each other. FAIL. After a iteration or two, CC Support pointed out their speeddial prefix was also Obi's; the Obi was eating the "*75" and they never saw it. Duh! Looking at: <https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/misc/OBiFeatureStarCodes.pdf>, it says
"*75 Speed Dial Read-Back (Enter SD No.)"

I can set the speed dials in the Obi's, that's easy, done.

But then I started looking for exactly how you invoke a speed dial on the Obi's. It seemingly too obvious to ever say explicitly. From:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16271.msg100960#msg100960
I'm guessing that say 66# will dial Obi speeddial 66 which is **9 314 159 265 etc. True??? Another post in that thread talked about terminating the saved string with a #. ??

Next question. CC does not offer extension transfers unless you add an IVR. But I see Obi's *98 Blind Transfer mentioned. Is it possible to set up speeddial buttons to do a blind transfer, either to the other Obi 9-digit, or the CC 177 etc number. [Next NYE will be the end of Obi dialing, and the dashboard, I believe.]

Since speeddials are dashboard-wide, not device, I'll need two of them, one each way.

Lastly, the off-season OBI is now off-line. When it is brought back up, do I need to manually force an update from the Obi setup page?

azrobert

Change StarCode 22 to *76.......
Now the OBi will not intercept "*75".
How are you going to use *75 to call an OBi number?

The OBi default has a 9 second delay after dialing a speed dial number.
This is done to give a person with a medical emergency enough time to dial 911.
After dialing 9, they have 9 seconds to dial 1 and another 9 seconds to dial the second 1.
If there was a short delay, the OBi might interpret the 9 as a speed dial.
This can be changed by using OBi Expert to modify the OBi config..

Dialing 66# will execute speed dial 66 without any delay.

If you define a speed dial with 18005551212, there will be another 2 second delay
Defining it this way the number is processed by the Phone Port DigitMap
The default DigitMap has a 2 second delay for 10-11 digit numbers.
Defining the speed dial as 18005551212# will eliminate the second delay.

There will be no delay if the speed dial is defined as sp1(18005551212)
The number will be immediately routed to SP1, bypassing the DigitMap processing.

Speed dials are actually on a device level. When defined on OBiTalk the speed dial config will be downloaded to ALL devices. You can log into each OBi using its IP address and define the same speed dial number differently on devices. You would need to disable auto provisioning on both devices.

I also think OBi dialing will end in December, so you should use CC extensions to call the other OBi.

You can't define a speed dial as a star code.

What are the 3 DIDs? Are these CC outbound numbers?
Do you have 3 CC extensions defined on each OBi?

The OBi config will not change after a power off/on, so no need for a forced download.

Maine_Yankee

Quote from: azrobert on January 02, 2023, 06:00:35 AMChange StarCode 22 to *76.......
Now the OBi will not intercept "*75".

How are you going to use *75 to call an OBi number?

Not sure where to change Starcodes. Not done significant fiddling in Obi-land before.

I should be able to use an Obi speeddial of 66 to be " **9 314 159 265 " -- true?

QuoteThe OBi default has a 9 second delay after dialing a speed dial number.
This is done to give a person with a medical emergency enough time to dial 911.
After dialing 9, they have 9 seconds to dial 1 and another 9 seconds to dial the second 1.
If there was a short delay, the OBi might interpret the 9 as a speed dial.
This can be changed by using OBi Expert to modify the OBi config..

Dialing 66# will execute speed dial 66 without any delay.

So, there is NO prefix needed for speedials; just numbers; that makes sense. Thanks.

QuoteIf you define a speed dial with 18005551212, there will be another 2 second delay
Defining it this way the number is processed by the Phone Port DigitMap
The default DigitMap has a 2 second delay for 10-11 digit numbers.
Defining the speed dial as 18005551212# will eliminate the second delay.

Thanks.

QuoteThere will be no delay if the speed dial is defined as sp1(18005551212)
The number will be immediately routed to SP1, bypassing the DigitMap processing.
OK, that would work dialing out a POTS call, but I want to call an Obi # or a CC 1777 # and would need something other than SP1 I think. ?maybe not for 1777?

QuoteSpeed dials are actually on a device level. When defined on OBiTalk the speed dial config will be downloaded to ALL devices. You can log into each OBi using its IP address and define the same speed dial number differently on devices. You would need to disable auto provisioning on both devices.

The Obi's are behind resi NATs so I am hard-pressed to log into them from 500 miles away. My question is: the one Obi is offline at present. I change its settings in the Obi server. When it is back on-line, will it immediately upload its new settings from Obitalk, or do I have encourage that update somehow?

QuoteI also think OBi dialing will end in December, so you should use CC extensions to call the other OBi.

Yes, sob... So I really should be focused on CC extensions. Especially since they are not working for me today but **9 222 222 222 is...?

QuoteYou can't define a speed dial as a star code.

What are the 3 DIDs? Are these CC outbound numbers?
Do you have 3 CC extensions defined on each OBi?

The OBi config will not change after a power off/on, so no need for a forced download.

There are 3 DID's that appear on both Obi's; 3 extensions on each with Call Treatments in the CC account. So I should be able to make Obi speeddials to the other location's 1777.

Left unresolved is a way to transfer a call answered at A to B.  CC can't unless I move to an IVR so I was hoping Obi had a way.

Summary:

One approach is to change Obi's *75 starcode; then CC can do speeddial. The other is to let the Obi's do the speedcalling.

In either case, using 1777 vs Obi 3x3 is better given the upcoming end of the Obi server/switch.

====
update:
OK, found Star Codes under Expert. Looks like I can just delete Code22 or change it into an unused code.

Taoman

Quote from: Maine_Yankee on January 02, 2023, 10:23:51 AM====
update:
OK, found Star Codes under Expert. Looks like I can just delete Code22 or change it into an unused code.

Correct. Then you can use the Callcentric *75xx speed dials.

azrobert

I'm assuming the following:

SP1 defined as 1777xxxxxxx               (main account defaults to extension 100)
SP2 defined as 1777xxxxxxx101         (extension 101)
SP3 defined as 1777xxxxxxx102         (extension 102)

You can call a CC extension using the 1777 number or the 3 digit extension.

Define 2 speed dial numbers:
SpeedDial# 11 to call summer home:
sp2(102)

SpeedDial#12 to call winter home:                       
sp3(101)

At winter home dial 11 to call summer home.
At summer home dial 12 to call winter home.

To transfer an active call from the winter home to summer home.
Press flash
You will hear dial tone
Dial 11
Hang-up immediately or wait for an answer then hang-up.
After call is answered, you can press flash for a 3-way.

To transfer a call from the summer home, do the same except dial 12.

There is a minor problem with the above. When you dial 11 to call the summer home, CC will try to call SP3 on both devices. The phone won't ring at the winter home because it's off-hook, but you might hear the call waiting tone. Do following to fix this.

On the winter OBI:
Voice Services/SP3 Service/X_InboundCallRoute:
{101:},{ph}

On the summer OBI:
Voice Services/SP2 Service/X_InboundCallRoute:
{102:},{ph}

Maine_Yankee

Quote from: Taoman on January 02, 2023, 11:15:35 AMCorrect. Then you can use the Callcentric *75xx speed dials.

I've not succeeded in changing the contents of a code. I must be missing something obvious; while I can uncheck both columns for 75, thus far it won't take changes, checked or not.

Maine_Yankee

Quote from: azrobert on January 02, 2023, 02:10:24 PMI'm assuming the following:

SP1 defined as 1777xxxxxxx              (main account defaults to extension 100)
SP2 defined as 1777xxxxxxx101        (extension 101)
SP3 defined as 1777xxxxxxx102        (extension 102)

You can call a CC extension using the 1777 number or the 3 digit extension.

Ahh, I'd forgotten about using the three digit extension.

I wonder if I can add my own 1777 number on a third speeddial for tech support calls. I'll try.

QuoteDefine 2 speed dial numbers:
SpeedDial# 11 to call summer home:
sp2(102)

SpeedDial#12 to call winter home:                       
sp3(101)

At winter home dial 11 to call summer home.
At summer home dial 12 to call winter home.

To transfer an active call from the winter home to summer home.
Press flash
You will hear dial tone
Dial 11
Hang-up immediately or wait for an answer then hang-up.
After call is answered, you can press flash for a 3-way.

To transfer a call from the summer home, do the same except dial 12.

There is a minor problem with the above. When you dial 11 to call the summer home, CC will try to call SP3 on both devices. The phone won't ring at the winter home because it's off-hook, but you might hear the call waiting tone. Do following to fix this.

But summer/winter homes have separate CC accounts and thus separate 177 extensions. They both ring on DID's courtesy of CC's Call Treatments. So will the calling phone still ring?

QuoteOn the winter OBI:

On the summer OBI:

azrobert

Quote from: Maine_Yankee on January 03, 2023, 02:27:07 PMBut summer/winter homes have separate CC accounts and thus separate 177 extensions. They both ring on DID's courtesy of CC's Call Treatments. So will the calling phone still ring?

QuoteOn the winter OBI:

On the summer OBI:

Try it without the above code. The worst that can happen is a call waiting tone.

Taoman

Quote from: Maine_Yankee on January 03, 2023, 01:03:49 PMwhile I can uncheck both columns for 75, thus far it won't take changes, checked or not.

Not sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying even after unchecking both boxes you can't edit the Value field or do you mean you can't save your changes?

StarCodes.JPG

Maine_Yankee

Quote from: Taoman on January 03, 2023, 06:17:21 PMNot sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying even after unchecking both boxes you can't edit the Value field or do you mean you can't save your changes?

StarCodes.JPG

It does not let me change the contents of the box.

azrobert

OBi uses *751 thru *759
Callcentric uses *7501 thru *7509

You should be able to use the 1st 9 *75 numbers without any star code profile changes.

Did you configure routing for *75 on the OBi?

If not:
What SP do you want to route *75?
Is that SP the Primary Line?

Edit:

You can also define a speed dial:
sp2(*7510)

Maine_Yankee

Quote from: azrobert on January 03, 2023, 07:55:53 PMOBi uses *751 thru *759
Callcentric uses *7501 thru *7509

You should be able to use the 1st 9 *75 numbers without any star code profile changes.

Well, when you dialed *750 or *751, you get reorder. That's why I came here.
I got Code22 unchecked, but the clients have not had time to test this.

QuoteDid you configure routing for *75 on the OBi?

If not:
What SP do you want to route *75?
Is that SP the Primary Line?

I am hoping with *75 no longer intercepting calls into Callcentric, I can put the desired 1777 numbers there. That future-proofs the feature from the EOL of Obi's dashboard too.