News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HP/Poly/OBi Device Status as of November 2023

Started by SteveInWA, November 11, 2023, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

This is not another comprehensive guide to using consumer Google Voice on VoIP hardware.  It's just an update on hardware support.

Again:  all VoIP hardware products that work/worked with consumer Google Voice have been discontinued and are no longer for sale.  Do NOT buy any OBi devices from third-party sellers; they are likely to be either service-provider locked, defective, or even counterfeit.

The following products are either discontinued or will be soon:
  • All OBi ATAs, including the 100, 200 and 300 series
  • All OBi IP phones, including the 1000 and 2000 series

The following products only work with the paid, business version of Google Voice for Workspace domain customers, and NOT for consumer Google Voice:
  • Poly VVX x50 series IP phones with certain hardware and firmware builds
  • Poly Edge B series IP phones
  • Poly OBi 300 series, now discontinued
  • Poly ATA 400 series, which supersede / replace the 300 series

Again:  there will be no new VoIP hardware products that will work with consumer Google Voice.  If you want to use VoIP hardware, you can configure any standard ATA or IP phone to use any open-credential SIP VoIP ITSP, forward your Google Voice number to that provider's number, and, if offered, spoof your Google Voice number for outbound calls.

GVHoward

How long will the servers likely work for GV and my 7 1022 phones and 2 OBI 200 series?

drgeoff

Quote from: GVHoward on November 13, 2023, 05:56:46 AMHow long will the servers likely work for GV and my 7 1022 phones and 2 OBI 200 series?

Many posters over the years have not understood that (with one exception*) once your OBi ATA or OBiPhone has been configured for your ITSP(s) including GV, the OBihai servers play no part in making or receiving calls.  Call setup signalling and voice data flows directly between your OBi device and the ITSP.  None goes through any server or infrastructure operated by or on behalf of Obihai/Poly/HP.

*The one exception is calls using the Obitalk network.  Those made by dialling **9 followed by a 9 digit OBi number.  I expect those will not work if the relevant OBihai servers are taken out of service on or after 18 December 2023.

So the cessation date of your Obi device working with GV will be determined by GV, either deciding to "pull the plug" or making some change to GV which would require updated firmware. Which isn't going to come.

Rick1441

Quote from: drgeoff on November 13, 2023, 02:37:22 PMSo the cessation date of your Obi device working with GV will be determined by GV, either deciding to "pull the plug" or making some change to GV which would require updated firmware.

Assuming this *hasn't* happened yet:  If my Obi200 were to somehow lose its provisioning with Google Voice, is there any way to re-provision it manually, without ObiTalk?

drgeoff

Quote from: Rick1441 on December 16, 2023, 01:02:01 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 13, 2023, 02:37:22 PMSo the cessation date of your Obi device working with GV will be determined by GV, either deciding to "pull the plug" or making some change to GV which would require updated firmware.

Assuming this *hasn't* happened yet:  If my Obi200 were to somehow lose its provisioning with Google Voice, is there any way to re-provision it manually, without ObiTalk?
No.

ladyh

What about the 1022?  Mine is not connecting and should be?  I remember the phone kept rebooting and then the no connect issue.

Dmitry

drgeoff

Quote from: Dmitry on December 27, 2023, 09:10:15 AMExpert Mode disappeared from the portal
Yes, for some devices.  Gone for my 200 and 202 ATAs but still there for my 1032 phone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 13, 2023, 02:37:22 PM
Quote from: GVHoward on November 13, 2023, 05:56:46 AMHow long will the servers likely work for GV and my 7 1022 phones and 2 OBI 200 series?

*The one exception is calls using the Obitalk network.  Those made by dialling **9 followed by a 9 digit OBi number.  I expect those will not work if the relevant OBihai servers are taken out of service on or after 18 December 2023.

Actually, the OBiTALK service is hard-coded into the device firmware, and it isn't dependent on the portal at all.

I have a Poly Edge B30.  It's never been registered on the consumer OBiTALK portal (can't be), does not use the legacy OBi OS, and it can only be configured via its embedded web server.  It comes with an OBi number, and as long as a Call Appearance is configured on one of its line soft keys, I can make and receive calls to/from other OBiTALK numbers.

So, while this feature may go away someday, it's not a good indicator of anything happening in the near term.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 29, 2023, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 13, 2023, 02:37:22 PM

Actually, the OBiTALK service is hard-coded into the device firmware, and it isn't dependent on the portal at all.

I have a Poly Edge B30.  It's never been registered on the consumer OBiTALK portal (can't be), does not use the legacy OBi OS, and it can only be configured via its embedded web server.  It comes with an OBi number, and as long as a Call Appearance is configured on one of its line soft keys, I can make and receive calls to/from other OBiTALK numbers.

So, while this feature may go away someday, it's not a good indicator of anything happening in the near term.
Although Obitalk service does not require the portal/dashboard for configuration or operation I contend that calls over it do depend on HP/Poly/Obihai server(s).  See my explanation at https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=19366.msg115597#msg115597