News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiBT paired to iPad for wifi calling via cell/mobile

Started by Groover, March 30, 2023, 02:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groover

I recently discovered that it's possible to get an ipad to make and receive mobile/cell calls over wifi from the iphone using the facetime app on the ipad.

This made me think, given the short range of the ObiBT, it would be great if I could have my ipad permanently connected to the ObiBT for making and receiving mobile calls through my obi212.

So I tried this, and I have the iPad paired to the Obi, but it shows No network available in the status:

Connected to "iPad Air" (No network available)

As a result I am unable to make outgoing calls via BT using **81 xxx (this works when it's my iPhone directly paired to the obi), however incoming calls to my mobile are working, it rings on the ipad, and the obi rings too. Even called ID is passed through to the analogue phone!

So, it appears that the obi is checking to see that the paired device has a sim service for calls, and only allowing outgoing calls if in service which is rather annoying.

I also have an old X-Link BTTN device and I am able to pair this to the ipad and make outgoing calls via the ipad, so it must be something in the Obi blocking the outgoing call. If this is indeed the case, does anyone know if there is a setting I can change to override this check?

It would be good to get the obiBT working with the iPad as the call quality is so much better than the X-link :)

Many thanks!