News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need Help Setting up obihai 200.

Started by SteveInPA, April 19, 2023, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInPA

hi all, I just joined the forum today.  I have a OBi200 and i just moved and needed to change my network settings.  I am setting a new static IP with all the correct information, but it is not working.  I can login to the unit (locally) but does not want to talk to the OBi severs, I've been spending 2 and a half hours on this, and this is getting me frustrated.  I cant even do the echo test number, says that I don't have a "Service Provider" which is true since unit was factory reset but when setting to DHCP works fine, but I don't want DHCP I want a static Ip and I have grandstream which works fine, obviously something is going on with the obi. any help is appreciated.  this is my first forum post so I apologize if there are spellings errors etc.

drgeoff

If it works fine when set to DHCP but does not when you configure static IP parameters, then either the parameters are inappropriate for your network or you are not configuring correctly.

You have not given any details of your network or the static values you are entering.

SteveInPA

Hi, sorry for the late response.  I do have the correct information for my network, I thought I could just enter in a Ramdom static IP address?  Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway is 192.168.1.1.  1ST dns sever is 192.168.1.1 for the second one I am using googles dns sever which is 8.8.8.8 thanks hopefully I can get this working, strange thing is that I was able to configure my grandstream to have a static ip and worked fine with no other issues.  The IP address that I am setting In the OBI, is not being used with anything else if that's a concern..  Still needs work hopefully we can get this working

MSRobi

Quote from: SteveInPA on April 21, 2023, 05:05:52 AM...I thought I could just enter in a Ramdom static IP address?

Using a random static IP address is most likely your problem.  Routers all have different user interfaces for setting a static IP address. If you are at a page where you are setting up a static IP address, use the current IP address of your Obi if the Obi does have a dynamic IP address assigned to it (you can see what devices are attached to your network usually on a page called "Attached Devices").  This is assuming that you don't care what the static IP address is, just that it is static.

Using a specific static IP address can be tricky, but it usually involves rebooting the router with the device turned off, then turning on the device after the router has rebooted.  And my experience is that doesn't always work either and you have to fuss with it.

drgeoff

Do you know for certain that the router is at 192.168.1.1?

Temporarily revert to DHCP and check you can reach the echo test on **9 222 222 222.  Hang up, take the phone off-hook and dial ***0. Then key 22# and the Gateway IP (your router's) will be read out to you.