News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 200 No dial tone

Started by akenis, April 21, 2023, 08:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akenis

Pulled this Obi200 out of a box so I can send a fax.  Don't even have a phone to test it.  Fax didn't send.  Obi 200 still in my dashboard.  Did firmware update.  Google voice account confirmed connected.

From reading here, account doesn't even matter.  Should still get dial tone from Obi.  My only way to test that is to unhook the fax machine.  No dial tone.

Here's port status both on/off hook:

State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   55 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   --

State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT   13 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   5 V
LastCallerInfo   --

Indicator lights seem to be working as they should.  Phone line blinks when I off hook the fax machine.  Trying to find a phone!

Thanks.

akenis

NVM...

Those are good numbers.  Turns out my fax machine wouldn't sound the dial tone for some reason.

Asked third neighbor for an old phone.  Everyone threw them away!  But she had one under her bed.  Unfortunately it was one of those wireless things, and rechargeable batteries were toast.  Figured I could swap the cells with regular AAA as long as I don't try and recharge the handset.  Remember the days when we went out to buy brand specific batteries for these dinosaurs.

Went through set up without a hitch.  So who thinks this thing will keep working past the end of the year with GV number?

Taoman

Quote from: akenis on April 21, 2023, 11:46:07 AMSo who thinks this thing will keep working past the end of the year with GV number?

As long as your OBi device is configured properly and working with your GV number it should continue to work until Google makes a change on their end. If and when Google makes a change on their end that would require a change in the OBi firmware then we're toast.

At that point I would recommend getting a $1/month Callcentric DID for unlimited incoming calls that you would forward to from GV. Then for outgoing use a cheap VoIP provider like Localphone or use azrobert's autohotkey script. Both work well.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=19427.msg112105#msg112105

mooneyjack

Quote from: akenis on April 21, 2023, 08:01:45 AMPulled this Obi200 out of a box so I can send a fax.  Don't even have a phone to test it.  Fax didn't send.  Obi 200 still in my dashboard.  Did firmware update.  Google voice account confirmed connected.

From reading here, account doesn't even matter.  Should still get dial tone from Obi.  My only way to test that is to unhook the fax machine.  No dial tone.

Here's port status both on/off hook:

State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   55 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   --

State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT   13 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   5 V
LastCallerInfo   --

Indicator lights seem to be working as they should.  Phone line blinks when I off hook the fax machine.  Trying to find a phone!

Thanks.

I still don't do firmware update, I don't know what will happen after upgrading.

drgeoff