News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obitalk service from different countries

Started by arsan, April 23, 2023, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arsan

I have multiple devices  in two different countries (USA/Taiwan).   They used to be table to talk to each other (via **8 xxx yyy zzz for example).  Yet "recently" they are no longer able to reach other - there is now (404 not found error).

Truthfully I don't use this quite regularly such that I haven't actually know when it is broken.

I have tested that devices can reach reach other when they are on the same side of the Pacific, only those trying to cross the ocean that are blocked.   All devices can reach **8 222 222 222 for loopback/echo service without problem.

Is this feature being removed?   

drgeoff

arsan

Yes **9 is what I meant.  Not sure why I spelled incorrectly.  The problem is that obitalk status returning 404 from server.

drgeoff

Can you reach the echo test **9 222 222 222 ?  That was working OK for me between typing these two sentences.

arsan

Yes - each device can reach **9 222 222 222 successfully, echo works fine.   Each can reach via **9 number - if it is trying to reach the device in the same locale.

Only when device tries to reach one that is in different location (USA to Taiwan and vice versa).   The call gets 404 error.

arsan

So that message (https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=19351.msg111900#msg111900) confirms the lost of feature.   They also closer to when the change occurred.

My use case wasn't actually bother about making free calls from one side.   I have an obi212 that can take incoming land line calls from Taiwan and forward to VG1.   That allows me to receive incoming landline calls anywhere.

With obitalk trunk group no longer able to see each other - I moved the forwarding to SP1 (which is GV).   Unfortunately doing this I no longer see caller id of the original caller.

I'd wish that one day that this feature (obitalk devices reaching each other across national boundary) will return.

drgeoff

Just a few minutes ago I have successfully rung an OBi100 in Japan from an OBi110 in the UK using the Obitalk service.

And I recall a call in the reverse direction working between the two without problem when that was last attempted in November 2022.