News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 End of Life?

Started by Restituo, January 19, 2024, 04:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restituo

01/19/2024: I've been using the OBi200 for few years through Obitalk. Unfortunately my GVoice number has expired and was reclaimed few months ago. I have just tried to add another GVoice number to my OBi I have but getting:
"Unable to add phone of OBi200 type. Phone must be an OBi phone that supports consumer portal".
There is EOL announcement, which seems to indicate the end of support, but the announcement also says the calling service will continue to work. Also, most help etc.  links with poly.com as part of the links seem to have stopped working.
Anyone knows what's going on?

Taoman

Quote from: Restituo on January 19, 2024, 04:15:41 PMI have just tried to add another GVoice number to my OBi I have but getting:
"Unable to add phone of OBi200 type. Phone must be an OBi phone that supports consumer portal".

Did you try and add a GV line to your OBi that was already added to the OBiTALK web portal? If so, that definitely won't work.

Your best bet is to delete your OBi from the OBiTALK portal and then re-add it and check the box to add a GV line during that process (assuming it works).

I can't promise anything but a couple weeks ago as a test I tried adding an OBi200 to the portal and it worked along with Google Voice. I don't know if that process will still work or if Poly has closed that loophole.

drgeoff

From the EOL notice.

"OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices may continue to work after the end of service date, but they will not be able to get added to the Google Voice service after December 18, 2023. OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually)."

Restituo

QuoteYour best bet is to delete your OBi from the OBiTALK portal and then re-add it and check the box to add a GV line during that process (assuming it works).

I can't promise anything but a couple weeks ago as a test I tried adding an OBi200 to the portal and it worked along with Google Voice. I don't know if that process will still work or if Poly has closed that loophole.
I can't seem to find the delete button once I click on device in dashboard. If Poly has disable provisioning, is it possible ALL device actions are disabled?

On slightly different topic: I came across your post (at least I think its your post) here:
https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1929201-Removing-your-OBi-device-from-OBiTALK-dashboard
It appears there is a way to flash custom FW on OBi device and get around OBi provisioning all together. There is FW available for download from https://www.obifirmware.com/
Do you know if anyone was able to do so? I'm an Engineer with EE background and can find my way through moderate complexity programming and setup processes. I would like to give it a shot.

Taoman

Quote from: Restituo on January 20, 2024, 12:23:40 PMI can't seem to find the delete button once I click on device in dashboard. If Poly has disable provisioning, is it possible ALL device actions are disabled?
No. When you click on the blue "gear" icon on the far right of the screen you're saying you don't see the big blue icon that says "Delete Device?"

OBiDelete.JPG

Quote from: RestituoDo you know if anyone was able to do so? I'm an Engineer with EE background and can find my way through moderate complexity programming and setup processes. I would like to give it a shot.

I haven't tried it but I have read that other people have been successful. You'll need directions from Naf who hacked the firmware. But I would try deleting your OBi from the dashboard and re-adding it before I would ever attempt this. It's not a trivial undertaking.*

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792784-Obihai-OBi20x-30x-OBi1000-OBi50x-OBi2000-firmware-mods

*Just tried adding an OBi200 again. Didn't work. Got same message as you. So that loophole has been closed.
QuoteUnable to add phone of OBi200 type. Phone must be an OBi phone that supports consumer portal

Restituo

QuoteWhen you click on the blue "gear" icon on the far right of the screen you're saying you don't see the big blue icon that says "Delete Device?"