News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issues registering new device to OBiTALK

Started by MrMister, June 18, 2023, 06:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMister

I've been having issues adding a second device to my OBi Dashboard.

During setup the Echo Phone Test works just fine.  On the next page I dial the code and get a confirmation that the number I dialed was sent to the server.  ...And that's it.  The setup then usually times out.  On a rare occasion I'll get a message that says, "No activation session found!"  But usually it's the "Failed to connect to your device" message with the Try Again button at the bottom.

Power and phone lights are green and solid on my device.  Internet connection light blinks green every once in awhile (which if I recall is normal for a new device that's not yet configured, and it will turn solid green once the configuration is complete).  I am able to access the device's configuration page via its IP address.

I've run across a few old threads that usually blame the issue on OBi server problems, but I don't see any recent topics on the matter to confirm if that's what's happening.

I did find one thread that suggested disabling SIP ALG on my router, but that did not help.

Looking to see if anyone knows what's going on or has any solutions.  Sitting on my couch retrying the setup every three minutes for hours on end until it maybe works isn't really an option for me.

Taoman

You can try this which has worked for me in the past.

After it times out and you get the error message "Failed to connect to your device" just let it sit there as is rather than hitting "Try again."

In the past after letting it sit for maybe 45 minutes I came back to my computer and it had made the connection successfully and added my OBi to the dashboard. Not saying it will work for you but it has worked for me in the past at least a couple times.

What device specifically are you trying to add?

MrMister

Quote from: Taoman on June 18, 2023, 09:01:07 AMIn the past after letting it sit for maybe 45 minutes I came back to my computer and it had made the connection successfully and added my OBi to the dashboard. Not saying it will work for you but it has worked for me in the past at least a couple times.
I think I've unintentionally done this while messing with this the last couple days.  But I'll deliberately do it a few times now and see what happens.

Quote from: Taoman on June 18, 2023, 09:01:07 AMWhat device specifically are you trying to add?
I'm trying to add an OBi110.  My understanding is that they are still usable, just no longer receiving firmware updates. 

One thread said the 110 could be configured manually, but the firmware version on mine is too new to do that.  (I'm a bit puzzled why features would be removed with an update, but that's an entirely different discussion.)  If there's a way to downgrade the firmware to allow the manual configuration, I'd happily do that.

Taoman

Quote from: MrMister on June 18, 2023, 10:27:55 AMI'm trying to add an OBi110.  My understanding is that they are still usable, just no longer receiving firmware updates. 

One thread said the 110 could be configured manually, but the firmware version on mine is too new to do that.  (I'm a bit puzzled why features would be removed with an update, but that's an entirely different discussion.)  If there's a way to downgrade the firmware to allow the manual configuration, I'd happily do that.

You cannot, under any circumstances, add an OBi110 to the OBi dashboard. It has been EOL for years.

I have an OBi110 with the latest firmware and I can configure it manually just fine. Where did you get the idea that the version of firmware affects the ability to configure a device manually?

Edit: It's been so long perhaps I'm wrong about the firmware level on the OBi110. I just noticed I'm running a hacked version of the latest OBi110 firmware that adds a globalsign cert. I can't remember if this cert was/is required.*
What issues are you having when trying to manually configure your OBi110?

*drgeoff: You still have an OBi110 running, don't you? How are you configuring it? What firmware version is on it?

MrMister

This is the thread I was looking at before: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11072.0

I also feel like a few other threads said you couldn't manually configure beyond firmware version 2824.  My device is hardware version 2.8 with software version 1.3.0 (Build: 2886). 

After doing a reset of the OBi110, I tried to follow the manual configuration directions in that thread, but still receive a "no service configured" error when trying to place a call.  Maybe the issue is on Google's end?  The thread mentions allowing access for less secure apps in Google settings, but I know that option was removed last year.

Taoman

Quote from: MrMister on June 18, 2023, 11:14:12 AMMaybe the issue is on Google's end?  The thread mentions allowing access for less secure apps in Google settings, but I know that option was removed last year.

Would have been really nice if you had said in your first post you were trying to configure Google Voice on an OBi110.

It can't be done! Google Voice has not been supported on the OBi1xx series for years.

MrMister

Ah, sorry about that.  It didn't even occur to me that using Google Voice would be the problem.

Are there other free services that will still work with this device?

Taoman

Quote from: MrMister on June 18, 2023, 12:23:48 PMAre there other free services that will still work with this device?

Only free one I'm aware of is in Canada and I think you need to be a Canadian.

If you can afford $1/month and you have a Windows computer (that would need to be powered on for outgoing calls) there is a way to utilize your OBi110 and your Google Voice number.
It would involve getting a Callcentric $1/month DID [that you would configure on your OBI] to forward to from Google Voice and running an autohotkey script on your Windows computer for outbound calls.
You would still make and receive GV calls on your OBi connected handset.

drgeoff

Looks like the discussion has moved on but for info:

1.  I confirm that GV has not been possible on OBi100 or OBi110 for several years.

2.  I have an OBi100 and OBi110, both with the official 2886 firmware.  The last that Obihai released.

3.  I configure the 110 locally.

4.  The 100 is thousands of miles away and I was configuring it via Expert mode on my dashboard on the portal.  At some unknown point in the past year or two that stopped working.  It appears that since then I can view the configuration and status but not make changes.

5.  I occasionally use the Obitalk network to make calls (**9 prefix) between the two Obis mentioned and to/from other OBi ATAs and an OBi1032 phone I have for experiments.  The Obitalk network stil supports the 100 and 110.

5.  My understanding is that it is no longer possible to add a 100 or 110 to a dashboard.  I have not confirmed this as I am not taking the risk of deliberately removing one and attempting to add it back.

Shunpiker

Sad that the original devices were abandoned. My 110 is the only one that still works with my old analog phone locally. In subsequent years, an Obi200, then an Obi202 and finally just now the Polycom200 have all bit the dirt and give nothing but static despite reset attempts. Would have thought someone knowledgeable in such things would have hacked the 100 or 110 by now to continue working with GV...

Lavarock7

Quote from: Shunpiker on August 24, 2023, 01:20:24 PMSad that the original devices were abandoned. My 110 is the only one that still works with my old analog phone locally. In subsequent years, an Obi200, then an Obi202 and finally just now the Polycom200 have all bit the dirt and give nothing but static despite reset attempts. Would have thought someone knowledgeable in such things would have hacked the 100 or 110 by now to continue working with GV...

CommunityPhone.org says only 1/3 of American households still have a landline. Most of them I assume do not use a VOIP service also. Thus, landlines are a dying breed along with payphones.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com