News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Refurb Obi2182 can't connect to 'echo test' number

Started by Bird222, May 04, 2024, 04:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird222

When I dial **9222222222 I get 3 tones instead of the attendant.  I have another 2182 that does work (if it's connected to the internet).  The phone seems fine otherwise.  I can access the config page not problem. I have tried different firmwares, factory resets and it's the same thing.  Help!

drgeoff

That number never reaches the "attendant", but that doesn't address your actual problem.

Dial ***1 and note the IP address of the phone.  Point a browser at that and login with username 'admin' and default password 'admin' if you have not changed it.

Click on 'Status' and scroll down to 'OBiTALK Service Status'.  What is shown against 'Status' ?

Is the other 2182 working OK if plugged unto to that ethernet cable or on same Wi-Fi network?

Bird222

Quote from: drgeoff on May 05, 2024, 09:19:39 AMThat number never reaches the "attendant", but that doesn't address your actual problem.

Dial ***1 and note the IP address of the phone.  Point a browser at that and login with username 'admin' and default password 'admin' if you have not changed it.

Click on 'Status' and scroll down to 'OBiTALK Service Status'.  What is shown against 'Status' ?

Is the other 2182 working OK if plugged unto to that ethernet cable or on same Wi-Fi network?

Additional info.  I have 4 of these phone two of them could perform the 'echo test', two couldn't.  The two that couldn't kept saying 'backing off' for the ObiTALK service status.  The two that worked would say 'normal'.  I use STUBBY for DNS on my router so I decided to turn that off and use the ISP DNS.  After I did one of the non-working phones started working but the other one wouldn't.  It just keeps saying 'backing off'.

Observations:
1. The two original working phones worked with STUBBY.  Haven't tried them without it.
2. The one phone works only with STUBBY inactive.  I have tried it multiple times with STUBBY and without and OBiTalk only works with this phone using the normal ISP DNS.

Question, if somebody has my totally non-working phone saved in their Obitalk dashboard would that keep me from accessing the network?  I can't figure out why that last phone won't connect no matter what.

drgeoff

Quote from: Bird222 on May 05, 2024, 12:34:45 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 05, 2024, 09:19:39 AMThat number never reaches the "attendant", but that doesn't address your actual problem.

Additional info.  I have 4 of these phone two of them could perform the 'echo test', two couldn't.  The two that couldn't kept saying 'backing off' for the ObiTALK service status.  The two that worked would say 'normal'.  I use STUBBY for DNS on my router so I decided to turn that off and use the ISP DNS.  After I did one of the non-working phones started working but the other one wouldn't.  It just keeps saying 'backing off'.

Observations:
1. The two original working phones worked with STUBBY.  Haven't tried them without it.
2. The one phone works only with STUBBY inactive.  I have tried it multiple times with STUBBY and without and OBiTalk only works with this phone using the normal ISP DNS.

Question, if somebody has my totally non-working phone saved in their Obitalk dashboard would that keep me from accessing the network?  I can't figure out why that last phone won't connect no matter what.

An OBi can only be on one dashboard at a time.  If a 2182 is on your dashboard it cannot also be on someone else's dashboard.

Are you trying all four 2182s on the same router?  Not same router model.  The same one physical router.

Bird222

Quote from: drgeoff on May 05, 2024, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: Bird222 on May 05, 2024, 12:34:45 PM

Observations:

An OBi can only be on one dashboard at a time.  If a 2182 is on your dashboard it cannot also be on someone else's dashboard.

Are you trying all four 2182s on the same router?  Not same router model.  The same one physical router.

Same physical router.  Tested other two 'working phones'.

Phone A: Works with and without stubby.
Phone B: Works with stubby but not without it.
Phone C: Works without stubby but not with it.
Phone D: Doesn't work at all with or without stubby.

Insanity!

Why are the DNS settings making a difference here (except phone D which doesn't work at all)?

drgeoff

What happens if you use OpenDNS?  208.67.222.222

Bird222

Quote from: drgeoff on May 05, 2024, 03:36:09 PMWhat happens if you use OpenDNS?  208.67.222.222

Yeah, it's a DNS issue.  Phone B I was able to find some public DNS's that worked in addition to stubby.  To be clear stubby is using cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).   Phone C does indeed fail when I manually enter 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.  Phone D still doesn't work at all no matter which DNS servers I use.  I may try that opendns server but I'm betting it will fail.  I'm thinking that one somebody might have it in their Obitalk dashboard.  What's kinda weird about Phone C is that GV works fine using cloudflare but Obitalk doesn't work.  Phone C is the only one I have configured to work with GV (or any service for that matter).

drgeoff

I already wrote that it is not possible for an OBi to be on more than one dashboard.

Bird222

At this point I'm wondering what each of the phones are requesting that isn't on certain DNS servers when they are all the same model of phone?  I would think they would all be making the same exact requests to connect to ObiTalk but obviously not.