News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GT = no local number VOIPo? or another?

Started by GaryMc, December 07, 2011, 09:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryMc

I'm ditching my local telecom service.  I have three concerns:
1: Using my analog phones spaced through out the house.  (how many phone can Obi power?)
2: keeping my local number  (free porting of my current # with VOIPo)
3:being able to use my fax machine.  (assume this works with Obi?)

Another plus would be integrating my cell to ring at my phones....blue tooth?
Anybody had good fortune doing this with VOIPo or another VOIP provider?
Google Voice is not an option as there are NO local phone numbers here.
Thanks
G

Stewart

Assuming that your broadband service is other than a DSL on the same line are your present telecom service, you could simply disconnect the line at the NID and connect your OBi or other ATA to any wall jack, feeding all the phones.  The OBi has an REN of 5.  If you have more than five phones, add up all the RENs to see whether it will work.  However, with VOIPo (and many other providers), a slightly more complex setup permits you to make and receive calls, while e.g. your wife is using the phone.  Note that VOIPo supplies an ATA with their service; unless you wanted it for other functions, you would not need an OBi.

Faxing can be problematic with any VoIP service.  Though I send and receive lots of faxes, I use a fax machine only once or twice a year, so a little unreliabilty is not an issue for me.  Please see my comments here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24887685-Why-are-fax-machines-still-so-popular-

AFAIK, the only consumer VoIP provider that includes cellular integration by Bluetooth is Ooma.  Other options include purchasing a Bluetooth adapter with an interface that emulates a phone line, or (if you have unlimited or lots of extra cellular minutes), simply forwarding your cell phone to your home number.

Quote from: GaryMc on December 07, 2011, 09:58:25 AMAnybody had good fortune Google Voice is not an option as there are NO local phone numbers here.
Please let us know in what city "here" is.

GaryMc

Stewart: What an excellent response, thank you!
"Here" is Salisbury, MD, on the eastern shore near the ocean.  All the GV numbers are near DC or Baltimore, long distance.
I DO have DSL and am not sure if it uses both pairs? I think it does because once my phone service went out, but my DSL worked at 1/2 speed.   It has been unreliable, so I just ordered Comcast.  I'm going to try both for a while before canceling one. 
I'll hook the Obi to the Comcast cable.

I saw that VOIPo comes with a phone adapter, which I will try first, before installing the Obi, and porting over my phone number. 
Really apprentice the help!

VaHam

Stewart's answer was spot on. 

If your looking at cellphone integration I have had good results with the XLINK BTTN. The XLINK has a REN of 5 (same as the OBi) so you can plug the phone out of your OBi or if you go with VOIPO their ATA into the line input of the Xlink and then plug it's phone line output into a wall jack (after disconnecting your regular phone service from the house).

If your Internet happens to goes down, then outgoing calls go to which ever of the three possible cell phones which automatically connect to the Xlink button when they are in range. in an order determined by you during setup.  Likewise any incoming calls on any of the cell phones you have setup to work with the Xlink in addition to incoming calls from voip can be answered on your house phones.