News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I have ObiTalk auto answer, and respond with a tone?

Started by Jpburns, December 19, 2011, 05:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpburns

Once a year my wife and I have a holiday party. Our condo is gated, and the box at the front gate calls our home number (which is an ObiTalk device), and we answer, and press "9" to open the gate.

I was wondering, would it be possible to program the ObiTalk device to auto answer for this period, and send a tone representing pressing the "9" button, saving us the need to do so manually?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

You could set the OBi to recognize the caller ID of the gate system and route the call to the auto attendant.  You'd replace the "Welcome to OBi Attendant" prompt with something like "Welcome to our party, please enter", followed by a DTMF 9.  The AA would be set to require a PIN, but the "Enter PIN" message would be replaced with "Thank you".

You may not be able to record the prompts directly on the OBi, if it interprets the "9" as a command and gives an error.  If that's the case, create the prompts with e.g. Audacity, then convert to G726 and upload them, as detailed in my post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1648.msg11225#msg11225 .  You might want to use an audio editor anyway, so the greeting sounds more professional.

RonR

Quote from: Stewart on December 19, 2011, 06:53:43 AM
You could set the OBi to recognize the caller ID of the gate system and route the call to the auto attendant.  You'd replace the "Welcome to OBi Attendant" prompt with something like "Welcome to our party, please enter", followed by a DTMF 9.  The AA would be set to require a PIN, but the "Enter PIN" message would be replaced with "Thank you".

I don't believe this will have the desired result.

After playing the Welcome prompt ("Welcome to OBi Attendant" prompt replaced by "Welcome to our party, please enter", followed by a DTMF 9), the Auto Attendant plays the MenuTitle and Menu prompts.  Even if you replace these with silence, the Auto Attendant then waits for the caller to press 1, 2, or 3.  After 3 timeouts, the Auto Attendant will call the NumberOnNoInput number, which defaults to 0 (the PHONE Port).

Stewart

Quote from: RonR on December 19, 2011, 09:28:44 AMI don't believe this will have the desired result.
You are correct; I mistakenly thought that it would ask for the PIN first.

However, your suggestion of replacing the other prompts with silence makes sense.  Eventually ringing the Phone port is IMO a good thing; the visitor may be clueless on how to enter, or may be carrying so many gifts that they need assistance :)

BTW, normally I would test this sort of thing before posting.  However, after losing control of my OBi doing just that ...