News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID

Started by curt31, December 19, 2011, 08:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curt31

Hello just set up a Google Voice and ObiTalk account will the Obi110 support caller id with name and number for incoming and outgoing calls and were do you configure it, still a little confused on this but I'm getting there. Thanks

Tom

RonR

Incoming Google Voice calls will present the caller's phone number but no name to the OBi.

Outgoing Google Voice calls will present your Google Voice number and cannot be changed.

curt31

Quote from: RonR on December 19, 2011, 08:47:45 PM
Incoming Google Voice calls will present the caller's phone number but no name to the OBi.

Outgoing Google Voice calls will present your Google Voice number and cannot be changed.

Hmmmm thanks! is this the way all these units work seems like I heard Magic Jack and Nettalk  displayed both. Thanks

Tom

RonR

Quote from: curt31 on December 19, 2011, 08:57:50 PM
is this the way all these units work seems like I heard Magic Jack and Nettalk  displayed both.

I'm not familiar with what Magic Jack and Nettalk offer.

The OBi will display CallerID name along with number if the service provider delivers it.  Google Voice doesn't.  Keep in mind that Google Voice is free and Magic Jack/Nettalk are not.

bitstopjoe

My Uniden phone WILL display a name with my OBi because I have the name and number in my phones phonebook. If someone not in my phone book calls me then yes only the number is shown. I then just add that person to my phonebook and the next time they call I get the name as well as their number.
I am not sure if all phones will work this way. I just know my Uniden does and it is a work around for me.

Joe Sica

curt31

Quote from: bitstopjoe on December 20, 2011, 06:52:34 AM
My Uniden phone WILL display a name with my OBi because I have the name and number in my phones phonebook. If someone not in my phone book calls me then yes only the number is shown. I then just add that person to my phonebook and the next time they call I get the name as well as thir number.
I am not sure if all phones will work this way. I just know my Uniden does and it is a work around for me.

Joe Sica

Say thanks so much Joe  for your honesty! well maybe I'll try both nettalk has a 50 dollar special until the end of today Tuesday and the Obi110 is also 50 bucks on Amazon just wish that you didn't have to add the number I know it's free but only through 2012 and actually at 50 for the Duo for the cost of the unit and one free year of service they are basically the same.

Tom

bitstopjoe

Just be aware Net Talk has recently cut their 5000 monthly call limit to 3000 min a month. This includes outgoing AND incoming. So if you make a decent amount of calls, heck not even a decent amout if you spend time on hold with a tech support call) you need to factor that in prior to your purchase...They INSTANTLY terminate your account, even 1 min over. Poof gone, no warnings at all. So be aware...

Joe Sica

curt31

Quote from: bitstopjoe on December 20, 2011, 04:10:23 PM
Just be aware Net Talk has recently cut their 5000 monthly call limit to 3000 min a month. This includes outgoing AND incoming. So if you make a decent amount of calls, heck not even a decent amout if you spend time on hold with a tech support call) you need to factor that in prior to your purchase...They INSTANTLY terminate your account, even 1 min over. Poof gone, no warnings at all. So be aware...

Joe Sica

Yep I cancelled my first order over this 3000 minute limit! But found out that Obi doesn't support caller id name and number for incoming calls. So I decided to try the thirty day free trial for Nettalk. Also called and found out that the 3000 minutes is for OUTBOUND calls only talked to a supervisor concerning this and was assured that it has noting to do with INBOUND calls, they said you can't control who calls you which makes since. If not for that I was ready to order the Obi110. Well for 50 bucks I get a year of phone service so I really can't beat that will still keep an eye on Obi if this doesn't work out. Thanks!!!

Tom

RonR

Quote from: curt31 on December 21, 2011, 12:05:42 PM
But found out that Obi doesn't support caller id name and number for incoming calls.

The OBi does support CallerID Name and Number if the service provider you use on the OBi provides that information.  Google Voice provides CallerID Number but not Name.  Many VoIP services provide both and the OBi will display both if used with such a provider.

bitstopjoe

Not sure I would trust a saleman Tom, because the last I heard Net Talk counts incoming and outgoing towards your 3000 min limit per month.
Unless when they reduced it from 5000 to 3000 they changed their policy on counting incoming towards that limit..
Maybe take a look on the Net Talk forum and see what's what.

Joe Sica

curt31

Quote from: RonR on December 21, 2011, 12:10:31 PM
But found out that Obi doesn't support caller id name and number for incoming calls.

The OBi does support CallerID Name and Number if the service provider you use on the OBi provides that information.  Google Voice provides CallerID Number but not Name.  Many VoIP services provide both and the OBi will display both if used with such a provider.

Emailed ObiTalk and they confirmed that it only supports the name not the number, well I really probably wont even exceed 1000 minutes these things are so inexpensive now that I might even try both! Thanks

Tom

RonR

Quote from: curt31 on December 21, 2011, 02:59:06 PM
Emailed ObiTalk and they confirmed that it only supports the name not the number

That's absolutely rediculous!

Nobody supports incoming CallerID Name but not not CallerID Number.

I wonder where all the CallerID Numbers I see displayed on my phone are coming from?

bitstopjoe

I am pretty sure he mistyped it Ron, it is visa versa as you well know.

Could be Dsylexa, I had that once and tried to kill myself by jumping behind the bus :)

Joe Sica

RonR

Quote from: bitstopjoe on December 22, 2011, 10:47:53 AM
I am pretty sure he mistyped it Ron, it is visa versa as you well know.

The OBi supports BOTH CallerID Number and CallerID Name if the service provider delivers it.

From the OBi Device Administration Guide (page 15):

Caller ID – Name & Number

Caller ID allows you to see the number and (if available) the name of the person calling you. You can use this information to decide whether or not to answer the call. You must have a phone (or device) that supports caller ID to use this feature.

Maybe the Obihai folks need to spend a little time reading their own documentation.   :)

curt31

Quote from: RonR on December 21, 2011, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: curt31 on December 21, 2011, 02:59:06 PM
Emailed ObiTalk and they confirmed that it only supports the name not the number

That's absolutely rediculous!

Nobody supports incoming CallerID Name but not not CallerID Number.

I wonder where all the CallerID Numbers I see displayed on my phone are coming from?

You tell that to them! I'm telling you what I was told if I was using Google Talk. Will past a copy of the email. Other then that I would have bought one instead of Nettalk.

Tom

curt31

Here's a copy of the email I received, they clearly state they don't support the Name portion of the caller id.

Tom

Hi Tom:

GV does not support Calling Name.  GV supports Calling Number.

Here is a list of the star-codes for enabling some of the telephony services:

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiFeatureStarCodes.pdf

Thank you:

Obihai Technology, Inc.

RonR

Quote from: curt31 on December 23, 2011, 05:36:43 PM
Here's a copy of the email I received, they clearly state they don't support the Name portion of the caller id.

They said Google Voice does not support Calling Name.

Google Voice is a service provider.  It's true Google Voice does not deliver Calling Name, but the OBi100/110 fully supports BOTH Calling Number and Calling Name when used with a service provider that delivers it.

OBi DOES support caller id name and number for incoming calls.  Google Voice doesn't provide CallerID Name.

curt31

Quote from: RonR on December 23, 2011, 06:13:37 PM
Quote from: curt31 on December 23, 2011, 05:36:43 PM

They said Google Voice does not support Calling Name.

Google Voice is a service provider.  It's true Google Voice does not deliver Calling Name, but the OBi100/110 fully supports BOTH Calling Number and Calling Name when used with a service provider that delivers it.

OBi DOES support caller id name and number for incoming calls.  Google Voice doesn't provide CallerID Name.

Hello that's what I said I was using Google Voice and was told Obitalk does not support Caller ID with Google Talk. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the unit itself. Well finally got Nettalk up and running and the voice quality is stellar . Still don't like the 3000 minute limit and the fact that you have to dial the ares code for each call even in your own area code but found a hack for Magic Jack Plus that might work with Nettalk to.

Tom j.

Hortoristic

I understand it's a drag GV won't give me the NAME but does give me the number for caller id. 

What's really interesting is the biggest harvester of information in the world (short of some secret govt agency) - couldn't resolve the name somehow.  voip.ms charges I think 8/10 of a penny to do a name lookup - so there seems to be a technical approach.

Once we get past the free services, such as when GV isn't free anymore - it seems there are still plenty of extremely cheap alternatives.

curt31

Quote from: bitstopjoe on December 21, 2011, 02:09:29 PM
Not sure I would trust a saleman Tom, because the last I heard Net Talk counts incoming and outgoing towards your 3000 min limit per month.
Unless when they reduced it from 5000 to 3000 they changed their policy on counting incoming towards that limit..
Maybe take a look on the Net Talk forum and see what's what.

Joe Sica

Yep it's just outbound found it in the FAQ's

Tom