News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi+GV in Israel

Started by Felix, December 23, 2011, 12:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

I am planning to send OBi device to my aunt in Israel. I am going to set up Google Voice in the States and make sure it's working. So, two questions:

• I realize that Google doesn't "guarantee" the service to work abroad, however most people trying to use it across the globe are successful. Is anybody using it in Israel?
  • Are there any specific "telephony" settings that need to be adjusted? I was using my locked SIP device from VoicePulse a few years ago, and it was working fine. Is it safe to assume that OBi will be working just fine as well?

By the way, the exciting thing about OBi is that I can configure the device from the web, and not try to tweak the firewall on modem/router in order to get to the device. As it is typical, my aunt is not technical, and while the modem has "router" web interface, it's in Hebrew which I don't understand, and for my aunt it might as well be in Japanese.

shap

I am using this device with GV and local SIP provider in Israel with no issues and no special adjustments.

Stewart

Quote from: shap on December 23, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
I am using this device with GV and local SIP provider in Israel with no issues and no special adjustments.
IMO, it's not so simple.  Can you please elaborate?

1. Do you have a landline (or pseudo-landline such as ISP-supplied phone service) connected?  Is so, does incoming caller-ID work properly?  Did you have to change any settings to get bridged calls to disconnect promptly?

2. Are you using a locally-bought phone, rather than one brought from the US?  If so, did you have to change any settings for caller-ID, ringing, etc?

3. What about call progress tones (dial tone, ringback, busy signal, etc.)?  Did you change them to local standards (so your familty is not confused), or purposely keep them different (so it's obvious whether you are on a local or a US line)?

4. Although the OBi will accept power at any standard voltage and frequency, most phones won't.  Another problem with imported phones is that frequencies allocated to DECT, etc. can be different.  Any equipment issues in that regard?

khrisztian

I´m using an Obi 110 with GV (and US number) from Southamerica. It works as intended, just had to purchase a plug adaptor cause we don´t use the US-style one. 100-220V works worldwide.

Everything works just outside the box. Grabbed any phone equipment that had over here. The only drawback is the echo delay, maybe it´s my internet connection, or that I´m behind a router, don´t know. Although the Obi informs me of 250ms delay, I feel it´s 750ms so conversations are a little bit strange. This did not happen while making the call within google chat. (webpage). But again, that should be some stupid setting on my side I haven´t taken care of...

I didn´t change the progress tones. It´s set up to US standards (we use a different tone), but honestly, nobody cares.

Hope it helps.

shap

Quote from: Stewart on December 24, 2011, 12:01:10 AM
Quote from: shap on December 23, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
IMO, it's not so simple.  Can you please elaborate?

1. Do you have a landline (or pseudo-landline such as ISP-supplied phone service) connected?  Is so, does incoming caller-ID work properly?  Did you have to change any settings to get bridged calls to disconnect promptly?

2. Are you using a locally-bought phone, rather than one brought from the US?  If so, did you have to change any settings for caller-ID, ringing, etc?

3. What about call progress tones (dial tone, ringback, busy signal, etc.)?  Did you change them to local standards (so your familty is not confused), or purposely keep them different (so it's obvious whether you are on a local or a US line)?

4. Although the OBi will accept power at any standard voltage and frequency, most phones won't.  Another problem with imported phones is that frequencies allocated to DECT, etc. can be different.  Any equipment issues in that regard?

1. No. I have a local (012) SIP provider registered on SP1. In general, they do not provide a SIP user/password, and in this case you will just connect 012 adapter to Line port of OBI110. Caller ID will work ok.

2. I use US phone (Panasonic that I bought in US)

3. I did no change and I do not see any confusion here.

4. I never heard about any issue with what you mentioned. And I never had those issues myself. Currently using a 5Ghz phone. Previously 2.4Ghz with no issues at all. Both phones from US.

Felix

Thank you, excellent information... One follow-up question:

Quote from: shap on December 29, 2011, 01:34:31 PM
1. No. I have a local (012) SIP provider registered on SP1. In general, they do not provide a SIP user/password, and in this case you will just connect 012 adapter to Line port of OBI110. Caller ID will work ok.
You say in general :) Can you elaborate?
I am looking at 012 site and in their Russian FAQ section I see: Q: Can I connect my home PBX to 012 phone line. A: Of course! The process is free and it takes only a few hours! (The site is in Hebrew and Russian - can't find any English). It would be ideal if I can use OBi for both GV and 012 (setting up auto attendant, etc.). Maybe they give you credentials if you ask them in Russian ;)

Besides 012, do you know / recommend any Israeli SIP provider that does provide credentials?

shap

Quote from: Felix on December 30, 2011, 01:47:21 PM
Thank you, excellent information... One follow-up question:

Quote from: shap on December 29, 2011, 01:34:31 PM
You say in general :) Can you elaborate?
I am looking at 012 site and in their Russian FAQ section I see: Q: Can I connect my home PBX to 012 phone line. A: Of course! The process is free and it takes only a few hours! (The site is in Hebrew and Russian - can't find any English). It would be ideal if I can use OBi for both GV and 012 (setting up auto attendant, etc.). Maybe they give you credentials if you ask them in Russian ;)

Besides 012, do you know / recommend any Israeli SIP provider that does provide credentials?

Well, there are 2 SIP providers in Israel - 012 (Golden Lines/Orange) and 013 (Netvision/Cellcome). for 012 you can get a program "no calls - no bill" - so if you did not used your phone you will pay 0$ and still get DID number. However, non of those providers will give you SIP username and password. Both of them will supply you with MP202 or similar VOIP adapter. So you will need to connect this adapter to Line port of Obi110.

I am using 012 and have no issues at all. I used it with there adapter and with Obi directly. If you do not have a close friends in 012, you will probably not get SIP user/password...

Stewart

Quote from: Felix on December 30, 2011, 01:47:21 PMBesides 012, do you know / recommend any Israeli SIP provider that does provide credentials?
You can use any provider to call Israel; several are less than $0.01/min. to landlines. A few offer numbers in Israel, e.g. Anveo ($8 - $9.50/mo.) and CallWithUs ($6.50/mo.).  You will likely find better prices elsewhere, try http://www.voipproviderslist.com/country/voip-israel/voip-providers-israel/ .

joeintheforum

I am using OBi 110 in Israel with GV, I am a new user and am cluless. I would like to setup so that when I dial a US number 1xxxxxxxxxx, it should use GV. It should be simple since all Israeli numbers start with a 0.
Please provide detailed instructions.
Thank You

Lavarock7

When I read about people shipping things like Obi's overseas, my first thought is, did they do what I did?

When setting up my sisters unit here, I hard-coded the IP address and forgot to set it to use DHCP when I shipped it. She plugged it in and her lan address block was not correct for my settings here at home.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

mrjoe

Felix, this post deals with Disconnect Tones for Israel while Bridging:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2521.0

Shap, how did you manage to get the SIP Settings for 012?
I've been requesting them for years now and no one will reveal them to me.

I once had a nice Technician around who gave me the settings for my Superbox but I couldn't glean the Password from inside and then had to do a Hard Reset which changed them.

LeoKing

Quote from: Lavarock7 on October 11, 2012, 01:23:15 PM
When I read about people shipping things like Obi's overseas, my first thought is, did they do what I did?

When setting up my sisters unit here, I hard-coded the IP address and forgot to set it to use DHCP when I shipped it. She plugged it in and her lan address block was not correct for my settings here at home.

I set the fixed IP addresses for my OBi110's on the router using their MAC's. This way they still use DHCP when I travel.

geva

Just mentioning it for those of you with family abroad or people who you've shipped devices to.  An interesting feature of OBi devices is the circle of trust.  You can grants others permission to use your OBi - GV could be setup on your side, and then they dial some special * code to access your line on your device.  Not interesting for me, but a cool feature.

team

Hello.
In such a case, when I first install my Obi and specify its location, Do I need To write Israel Or USA?
And If I write Israel will the google voice will work ?

giqcass

Google Voice will not know what location you put in the Obi or the Obi web interface.

I would set up Google Voice and forward it to a Callcentric number.  That will give you Caller ID.  When you set up the Callcentric account choose the free US number but don't sign up for 911.  You must use a US phone number for Google voice to forward the call.  Callcentric will let you use that US number outside of the US. Without 911 the account is completely free.

Instructions
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

Long live our new ObiLords!