News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using GV: incoming calls have no audio; audio on both sides overlaid with noise

Started by dernest, January 02, 2012, 01:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dernest

Good day and Happy New Year to all.

I have a problem in that regardless of which side initiates the call:
- (a) the audio on both sides is overlaid by a relatively loud noisy tone;
- (b) the remote party (the side other than that connected to the OBi) cannot be heard.
- (c) the remote party hears a strong echo of their own audio.

I'm using an OBi110 with GV on a home network gatewayed through a Buffalo router running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/21/09) std, SPI disabled.

I don't believe this is a STUN problem at all, since I can initiate calls successfully both to and from the GV number set up in the OBi, but just in case, I did try port-forwarding both the SIP and the RTP, and either one separately, and also running the OBi in the DMZ of the gateway, with no change in results.

I am arranging to have the phone tested in a neighbor's POTS circuit, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?

Thank.s

RonR

If possible, temporarily bypass your router entirely by connecting the OBi directly to your modem.  Power both the modem and OBi off after making the direct connection.  Power the modem up first and wait for it to acquire sync with your ISP before powering up the OBi.  Then make a few calls and see if the problem is still present.

You might also try making a call from the Google Voice web page to verify the problem is not on the Google Voice end.  You could also have your Google Voice account forward incoming calls to a cell phone or POTS number instead of the OBi (the Google Chat forwarding phone in your Google Voice account) to again confirm the problem is not with Google Voice.

Shammi

Hi RonR,

I am not sure if this is the right category to ask the question, I apologize if it is not.

I have been noticing a slight disturbance during first few seconds of my call. Also I started hearing my own echo for few seconds.

My setup is like this: Obihai -1 in Canada with freephoneline.ca SIP, obihai -2 in India with MTNL (Telco) and freephoneline.ca SIP. Friends and faamily in India call Indian MTNL landline number in India and it gets transfer through OBIhai-1 SIP to OBIHAI sip-2.

Thanks
Shammi

Quote from: RonR on January 02, 2012, 02:10:58 PM
If possible, temporarily bypass your router entirely by connecting the OBi directly to your modem.  Power both the modem and OBi off after making the direct connection.  Power the modem up first and wait for it to acquire sync with your ISP before powering up the OBi.  Then make a few calls and see if the problem is still present.

You might also try making a call from the Google Voice web page to verify the problem is not on the Google Voice end.  You could also have your Google Voice account forward incoming calls to a cell phone or POTS number instead of the OBi (the Google Chat forwarding phone in your Google Voice account) to again confirm the problem is not with Google Voice.