News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

**8 Dialing failure

Started by Aswath, January 07, 2012, 06:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aswath

I have connected Obi110 to GV and PSTN. When I dial **8 to access PSTN line, there is a noticeable delay after completing the dialing, then I hear a ringback, then a click sound. Then sometimes, the call completes to the dialed phone and sometimes the call fails. Is something wrong in my setup?

Stewart

Instead of using **8, dial # and wait for dial tone from the PSTN line.  Then, dial the destination number.

If the above is undesirable, see whether increasing DialDelay for the LINE port from 500 to 1000 helps.  If not, look at Call History and report whether failed calls show the correct number being sent to the PSTN line.

RonR

Quote from: Aswath on January 07, 2012, 06:07:52 AM
I have connected Obi110 to GV and PSTN. When I dial **8 to access PSTN line, there is a noticeable delay after completing the dialing, then I hear a ringback, then a click sound. Then sometimes, the call completes to the dialed phone and sometimes the call fails. Is something wrong in my setup?

What is the contents of:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap

and what is the format of the numbers you need to dial through the line port.

Aswath

Quote from: RonR on January 07, 2012, 11:55:23 AM
Quote from: Aswath on January 07, 2012, 06:07:52 AM

What is the contents of:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap

and what is the format of the numbers you need to dial through the line port.

the contents of Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap is (xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

and the format NANP.

Aswath

Quote from: Stewart on January 07, 2012, 06:21:53 AM
Instead of using **8, dial # and wait for dial tone from the PSTN line.  Then, dial the destination number.

If the above is undesirable, see whether increasing DialDelay for the LINE port from 500 to 1000 helps.  If not, look at Call History and report whether failed calls show the correct number being sent to the PSTN line.

I will try that. Meanwhile, my q is, I just plugged a new device with everything default and PSTN is VZ POTS. That is why it is puzzling to me why I am encountering this problem.

RonR

Quote from: Aswath on January 07, 2012, 09:33:12 PM
the contents of Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap is (xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

The S4 is forcing an additional 4 second delay instead of 2 seconds when the intended number is 7 digits.

The xx. rule is adding an additional 2 second delay when you dial an 11-digit number.

You can try removing both and see if you're happier with the timing.

I would suggest the following as an alternative:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx)

When the OBi actually starts dialing, it takes 4.9 seconds to output an 11-digit number to the PSTN Line.

Aswath

Quote from: RonR on January 07, 2012, 09:50:57 PM
Quote from: Aswath on January 07, 2012, 09:33:12 PM

The S4 is forcing an additional 4 second delay instead of 2 seconds when the intended number is 7 digits.

The xx. rule is adding an additional 2 second delay when you dial an 11-digit number.

You can try removing both and see if you're happier with the timing.

I would suggest the following as an alternative:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx)

When the OBi actually starts dialing, it takes 4.9 seconds to output an 11-digit number to the PSTN Line.

There is no change in the behavior even after changing the digit map. Thanks for your suggestion though.

RonR

Quote from: Aswath on January 08, 2012, 03:55:00 PM
There is no change in the behavior even after changing the digit map. Thanks for your suggestion though.

The DigitMap change would simply make dialing begin faster.

When you say calls sometimes fail to complete, what are the symptoms of a failed call?  Always just silence, a busy, or what?

When you look at the Call History for a failed call, did the correct number go out the LINE Port (the right side of the log entry)?

Aswath

Quote from: Stewart on January 07, 2012, 06:21:53 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Both of them work, but I prefer the method of first dialing #. Even though increasing the dial delay works, the call completion takes a bit longer; it can be mitigated by dialing # at the end of the digits. But dialing # and waiting for the second dial tone takes me to the more familiar POTS user experience.

So my q to the Obihai dev team is why not they wait for dial tone on POTS line when they see **8 and then pulse out the rest of the digits?

Thanks once again.