News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV missed calls - when answered by home machine?

Started by offroad, January 13, 2012, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offroad

Testing my new Obi110 and would like to use my own answering machine.

The machine picks up on 4 rings which beats GV to the call but then the phone reports a missed call which I believe is coming from GV even though my machine answered it.  Any way around this?

Also, can I call my Obi110 from a telephone and have it dial another number for me?
Or is this only possible from Obi to Obi? 

RonR

Quote from: offroad on January 13, 2012, 11:59:51 AM
The machine picks up on 4 rings which beats GV to the call but then the phone reports a missed call which I believe is coming from GV even though my machine answered it.  Any way around this?

It sounds like you have an answering machine that is separate from your phone and they're both connected to the OBi PHONE Port.  When your answering machine takes the call, your phone simply sees the ringing stop as if it was a missed call.

Also, can I call my Obi110 from a telephone and have it dial another number for me?
Or is this only possible from Obi to Obi? 

If you're wanting to call into your Google Voice number and have the Auto Attendant answer so you can make an outgoing call, set:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {12341234567:aa},{ph}

where 12341234567 is the CallerID of the phone you wish routed to the Auto Attendant.  If you want all incoming calls answered by the Auto Attendant, use instead:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {aa}

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 13, 2012, 12:36:07 PM

It sounds like you have an answering machine that is separate from your phone and they're both connected to the OBi PHONE Port.  When your answering machine takes the call, your phone simply sees the ringing stop as if it was a missed call.

I'm using a cordless phone with an integrated answering machine and yes its connected to the OBi Phone Port.
The answering machine is set to pickup the call before GV gets it.  After leaving a message on the machine the phone displays a missed call which must be coming from GV.  Is there any way if I always want the integrated machine to record messages to stop getting the missed call indication on the phone since its already recorded by the machine?

RonR

Do you have Google Voice set to place missed calls in your inbox?  If so, I believe the OBi would signal VMWI to your phone.

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 14, 2012, 06:59:48 PM
Do you have Google Voice set to place missed calls in your inbox?  If so, I believe the OBi would signal VMWI to your phone.

Under GV Settings-Calls:

Missed Calls    
Place missed calls in the inbox
Send missed calls to my email:

These are both unchecked.

RonR

Then I think it's your cordless phone that's putting up the missed call message on its handset.  That's what my Vtech does when its answering machine takes a call.

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 14, 2012, 07:22:37 PM
Then I think it's your cordless phone that's putting up the missed call message on its handset.  That's what my Vtech does when its answering machine takes a call.

Thanks for the info.

Just noticed something weird, if I try to call an 800 number with the Obi110/GV it just rings and rings.
Am I supposed to key in something special for an 800/888/866 etc number?

RonR

Toll-free numbers (800/888/877/866) should work through Google Voice like any other number (they do here).

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 14, 2012, 08:42:37 PM
Toll-free numbers (800/888/877/866) should work through Google Voice like any other number (they do here).

I have my default area code in the  Obi so I don't have to dial it for local calls, will that cause a problem when dialing 800 numbers or any other call where I need another area code other than the one I live in?

RonR

Quote from: offroad on January 14, 2012, 08:46:36 PM
I have my default area code in the  Obi so I don't have to dial it for local calls, will that cause a problem when dialing 800 numbers or any other call where I need another area code other than the one I live in?

If the DigitMap is constructed properly, that shouldn't be a problem.  I assume you're simply adding 1aaa to 7-digit numbers.

Look in the OBi Call History and see what was actually sent to Google Voice when you dialed the 800 number that rings endlessly.  If it appears to be correct, log into your Google Voice account and call the number from the web page.  If the same thing happens there, the problem is with Google Voice and not the OBi.

offroad

The numbers look fine in Obi call history.
When I try to dial the same number from GV it says it will call me back and connect me.
The phone connected to my obi rings but when I answer the line just rings and rings just the same.

Never expected this, don't see how I can replace my home phone with Obi/GV now.
All my voice quality tests have been so good, called my brother in another state tonight, talked for an hour and it was just like a land line.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Could it be just a temporary GV issue?

RonR

Quote from: offroad on January 14, 2012, 09:05:08 PM
When I try to dial the same number from GV it says it will call me back and connect me.

Can you post the number you're calling.  PM it to me if don't want to post it publicly.

Stewart

Quote from: offroad on January 14, 2012, 08:37:11 PMJust noticed something weird, if I try to call an 800 number with the Obi110/GV it just rings and rings.
Google Voice does not support Early Media.

For a quick workaround, call 1-646-810-9280 (or find a SIPBroker PSTN number closer to you).  At the "Welcome to ..." prompt, dial e.g. *18005551212# (note leading * and trailing #).  Be patient; it may take up to 30 seconds to connect.

If that works, you can set up your OBi to route TF calls through SIPBroker (or another free TF provider) automatically.

A better solution is to get an alternate provider for your OBi, primarily so you'll have real 911 service.  You can then route TF calls through them.

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 14, 2012, 09:15:03 PM
Quote from: offroad on January 14, 2012, 09:05:08 PM

Can you post the number you're calling.  PM it to me if don't want to post it publicly.

Number sent via PM, I also tried another 800 and an 888 number I would need to dial on a regular basis and those just ring and ring as well.

offroad

Quote from: Stewart on January 14, 2012, 09:19:59 PM
Quote from: offroad on January 14, 2012, 08:37:11 PMJust noticed something weird, if I try to call an 800 number with the Obi110/GV it just rings and rings.
Google Voice does not support Early Media.

For a quick workaround, call 1-646-810-9280 (or find a SIPBroker PSTN number closer to you).  At the "Welcome to ..." prompt, dial e.g. *18005551212# (note leading * and trailing #).  Be patient; it may take up to 30 seconds to connect.

If that works, you can set up your OBi to route TF calls through SIPBroker (or another free TF provider) automatically.

A better solution is to get an alternate provider for your OBi, primarily so you'll have real 911 service.  You can then route TF calls through them.

The quick workaround worked and I could dial the 800 number and get connected.
How would I route calls through SIPBroker on the Obi and would I still have the wait?

If the OBi met my needs otherwise I'd planned on setting up Call Centric for 911 but would I then get charged by the minute by them when making 800 calls?

What does Early Media mean and why does this happen on what should be a free call from any phone?

Thanks

RonR

Every toll-free number I call through Google Voice that I would expect to answer at this hour (for example, 800-555-1212 and 800-347-2683) answers.

The number you PM'd me rings endlessly using Google Voice, IdeaSIP, Ribbit, Alcazar Networks, and SIP Broker.  I can't see how this can be an OBi problem.

Stewart

Set up a Callcentric account on SP2.  For these purposes, a free account will be fine.

My own OBi is far away and I don't want to risk losing control of it by testing some digit map changes, so I'll leave those up to RonR.  However, I'm fairly confident of speed dial setups, so I'll post those without testing them.

If you set e.g. Speed Dial 2 to SP2(**275*18005551212), then dialing 2# should place the call via Callcentric's "free" route.

Set Speed Dial 3 to SP2(18005551212@sip.tollfreegateway.com), then dialing 3# should place the call via Tollfreegateway.

You can compare these for setup time and voice quality. There are also several other free toll-free termination providers.

Once you are satisfied, you can modify the digit map to route 800/888/877/866/855 automatically.

Early Media refers to audio played before a call is "answered".  Common examples are announcements that a number is not in service or has been changed, that a cellular customer is out of range, etc.  The idea behind "not answering" is that the caller is not charged minutes for hearing the message.

In the case of toll-free (where it's the callee that's paying), big users have a lot of clout with the carriers and can negotiate contracts, where they don't have to pay minutes until the call is transferred to a human.  In the old (pre-1990) days, the only way to delay the start of billing was to not "answer" the call.  Although there have been better solutions for 22 years, some of these clowns are still doing that.  Bell-shaped heads often move very slowly.  Combined with the turkeys at Google who don't seem to realize that Early Media is important, the result is systems that don't work properly!  Sorry for the rant.

offroad

Quote from: RonR on January 14, 2012, 09:34:21 PM
Every toll-free number I call through Google Voice that I would expect to answer at this hour (for example, 800-555-1212 and 800-347-2683) answers.

The number you PM'd me rings endlessly using Google Voice, IdeaSIP, Ribbit, Alcazar Networks, and SIP Broker.  I can't see how this can be an OBi problem.

Yes, the numbers you list dial fine for me as well.

The one I sent you via PM is one of several I have to dial every day for work.  I just need a solution that lets my wife dial 800 numbers like normal, and one that also lets me dial these apparently "Early Media" numbers as well without being charged for the connection as sometimes I'm on them quite a bit.

I'll try setting up a Call Centric account like Stewart suggests, but may need some help as I'm a complete VoIP and OBi newbie.  So far I'm loving the price of the unit and the call quality, just need to get things like this ironed out before I drop my POTS.

Regarding Call Centric, I see an option to sign up for Free then a Pay Per Call.
I want to fix this 800 number issue and also have 911, I don't mind paying the $1.50 per month or so for 911 but don't want to pay per minute dialing 800 numbers.  Which should I sign up for?

Thanks for the help both of you are providing, it's very much appreciated.

Stewart

You need a paid account to order 911 service, to make outbound calls to PSTN numbers (including toll-free numbers if dialed directly, which cost $0.008/min.), or to order DIDs (other than iNum) from Callcentric.  If you have a paid account, 911 service is required, unless you state that you will be using Callcentric from outside the US or Canada.

There is quite a bit that you can do with a free account.  You can call 1777 numbers, SIPBroker numbers including US toll-free, iNums, and SIP URIs.  You can receive calls via SIP URI, iNum, and SIPBroker.  You can have voicemail and receive faxes.  The ability to receive via SIP URI allows you to use free (IPKall, UKDDI, etc.) or paid DIDs from other providers; having an iNum lets you get free calls via iNum gateways, indirectly via Localphone and Rebtel access numbers, or from any provider offering iNum calling.

offroad

Am I understanding correctly?

With a free account I would need to dial **2 (SP2/CallCentric) then dial a SIPBroker number, wait for its message, dial my 800 number (the one I'm having problems with) and wait to be connected.
I could also set a Speed Dial for the SIPBroker number, but would still have the same delay being connected I got when I tried your temporary workaround?

With a paid account, I'll have 911 service.
I could dial **2 (SP2/CallCentric) and just dial the 800 number with no delay's but I'll pay $0.0088 per minute.  For all normal 800 numbers since SP1/GV is primary I would just dial the number directly.
I could also dial a SIPBroker number first to avoid paying anything for the call.

Sounds like this would allow my wife to dial just like a POTS unless she runs into a number like my work 800 numbers and could dial **2 and the number if she did.

I'm currently testing the OBi110 with a GV number and would also do so for CallCentric.  If I later port my POTS number to GV do I just update my profile with CallCentric so the new number works correctly with 911?