News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV working fine; trouble adding Sipgate

Started by SnerdlyBosco, January 14, 2012, 09:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnerdlyBosco

Set up Obi110 with Google Voice as Service Provider 1. Worked first time; works perfectly.

Trying to set up Sipgate as Service Provider 2 (for incoming calls).

Continuing error is "Register failed: no response from server. (server=204.155.28.10:5060; retrying)"

I have set:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
SIP Provider 2:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> Name : (SIP Provider 2 Name)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : (SIP Provider 2 Proxy Server Hostname)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (SIP Provider 2 username -- the 1234567a0 one)
Voice Services -> SP2 Servier -> AuthPassword : (SIP Provider 2 password -- the AB1CDE one)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : (SIP Provider 2 CallerID)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : (SP1 Service or SP2 Service)

I have also enabled STUN and have tried STUN port 10000 and 3478

Is there something I'm missing? Anything else I might try?

RonR

Starting with all settings on SP2/ITSP B at Default, these are the only settings required to register and make/receive calls with Sipgate:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : sipgate.com
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (sip username)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword : (sip password)

A STUN server is a good addition.  I use:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> STUNEnable : (checked)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> STUNServer : stun.ideasip.com
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> X_STUNServerPort : (Default)

My Sipgate account works perfectly with these settings.

RonR

If you're still having difficulty getting Sipgate to register, temporarily bypass your router by connecting the OBi directly to the modem.  Do this with both units powered off.  After making the direct connection, power the modem up first and allow it to attain sync before powering up the OBi.

SnerdlyBosco

Hrmmmm... No problem doing that, but how will I know what the Obi is experiencing? I'll have no internet on a computer so no way to run Obitalk...

RonR

Quote from: SnerdlyBosco on January 14, 2012, 07:11:34 PM
No problem doing that, but how will I know what the Obi is experiencing? I'll have no internet on a computer so no way to run Obitalk...

The goal is to see if you can you make and receive calls using Sipgate without the router in the loop.  If you can, then your router is probably the culprit.  If not, the router is likely not the problem.

If Sipgate still fails, make sure you can still call the echo test at **9 222 222 222 while the OBi is connected directly to the modem.

SnerdlyBosco

Okay, I hooked the Obi110 directly to the DSL modem, bypassing the router. Waited for modem to sync up before turning Obi on. Waited for solid green phone light on Obi. Attached phone did not ring when Sipgate number called. Phone DID ring when GV number called. Call out DID succeed on GV service. Obi Echo test DID succeed.

But then it gets weird.

When I connected Obi back to router and logged into ObiTalk, the Service Provider 2 (SipGate) WAS registered.

I tried placing a call to the Sipgate number and got a stuttering ring on the phone (physical ring, not ringback). Attempted to answer, but only got dialtone (Google Voice's on SP1, I am assuming). The ringback tones in the calling phone continued.

Ever since that first call, ObiTalk shows "Register failed..." for SP2.

Would seem to verify that Sipgate credentials are correct and that the Obi is working. Any other ideas to troubleshoot? Does the stuttering ring suggest anything?

RonR

Quote from: SnerdlyBosco on January 15, 2012, 12:20:19 PM
When I connected Obi back to router and logged into ObiTalk, the Service Provider 2 (SipGate) WAS registered.
Ever since that first call, ObiTalk shows "Register failed..." for SP2.

Just keep in mind that the OBiTALK Web Portal is not always up-to-date and is not always accurate.  The only things that really matter with an OBi are the configuration settings in the OBi itself and the status that the OBi itself is reporting.  Relying on OBiTALK Web Portal settings and status when troubleshooting a problem can add confusion resulting in wrong conclusions.

Quote from: SnerdlyBosco on January 15, 2012, 12:20:19 PM
Does the stuttering ring suggest anything?

It suggests you have unread voicemail at Google Voice.

SnerdlyBosco

The stuttering ring I refer to is the physical ringer on the physical phone attached by wire to the Obi. When I placed the call to my Sipgate number, the physical ringer on the physical phone gave an incomplete ring. Where the phone's normal ring is two or more seconds per blast, when Sipgate made it ring, it was only one second and not ringing all the way through that second -- sort of "stuttering."

Does a flawed physical ring on an incoming Sipgate call indicate that I have unread Google Voicemail?

RonR

Do you have a different ring pattern set on SP2 compared to SP1?:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_DefaultRing

The OBi generates the ring voltage and pattern for the PHONE Port, not the service provider.

SnerdlyBosco

Both SP1 and SP2 have Xdefaultring of "1".

Yet the incoming Sipgate ring and the incoming Google Voice ring are different. The Sipgate ring stuttered like the ringer had a bad electrical connection (that's what it sounded like, not what caused it).

RonR

Could it have been a call on the OBiTALK Service (check the Call History)?  It uses a double-ring pattern that's different.

Stewart

Quote from: SnerdlyBosco on January 15, 2012, 01:25:28 PM
Both SP1 and SP2 have Xdefaultring of "1".

Yet the incoming Sipgate ring and the incoming Google Voice ring are different.
Do they both have the same X_RingProfile (should normally be A)?

SnerdlyBosco

Stewart: SP1 has ring profile A, SP1 hs ring profile B. As far as I can tell, however, ring profile A and B are identical.

I'm not too worried about the stuttered physical ring -- just wondered if that symptom might help diagnose the problem.

Bigger issue seems to be that the line isn't registering.

Any further troubleshooting come to mind?

Stewart

Ring profiles A and B (by default) are not the same.  Compare Ring Pattern 1 for both; you'll see the A specifies 2 on, 4 off (normal US ring), while B is 0.4 on, 0.2 off, 0.4 on, 2 off.

As to the registration problem, please post modem make/model and router make/model, and any special setting in either.

SnerdlyBosco

Thanks, that ring pattern is probably what I heard. The cordless phone has its own ringtones that probably don't know what to do with a non-standard/short burst.

Modem is Embarq (carrier) EQ 660R ADSL

Router is Cisco/Linksys WRT610N V1, no special settings (that I recall)

And through all this Sipgate-not-registering thing, Google Voice continues to work flawlessly.

SnerdlyBosco

This morning, without changing any settings (all set as RonR suggests early in the thread), I pulled the power plug from the Obi and plugged it back in.

Then, I accessed setup from the unit's IP address (bypassing ObiTalk).

Sipgate (on SP2) registered. To test outgoing calls, I dialed **2 and my home number. It rang and connected upon answer. Result was one-way audio: receiving phone could hear the sending phone, but the sending phone could not hear the receiving phone.

Next, I tried a call to the Sipgate number. I received "you have reached a non-working number: announcement 14, switch 14-4152-1."

Curiouser and curiouser...

RonR

Quote from: SnerdlyBosco on January 16, 2012, 08:44:22 AM
To test outgoing calls, I dialed **2 and my home number. It rang and connected upon answer. Result was one-way audio: receiving phone could hear the sending phone, but the sending phone could not hear the receiving phone.

Next, I tried a call to the Sipgate number. I received "you have reached a non-working number: announcement 14, switch 14-4152-1."

These symptoms are often indicative of router issues.  This might be a good time to revisit bypasssing your router and seeing if Sipgate works properly with the OBi connected directly to the modem.

Temporarily disable SP1/Google Voice:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> Enable : (unchecked)

and set the PrimaryLine to SP2 Service:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP2 Service

This will allow you tell from the 3rd LED on the OBi whether you have registration on SP2/Sipgate.

Power both the modem and the OBi off.  Make the direct connection.  Power the modem on and give it plenty of time to attain sync.  Then power the OBi on and give it plenty of time to attain registration with Sipgate (the 3rd LED should light).

First verify that you can reach the echo test at **9 222 222 222.  Then try making and receiving calls with Sipgate.

SnerdlyBosco

RonR

Made the changes you suggested (Sp1 UNenable; primary line Sp2). Connected Obi to modem. Powered up as suggested.

Single green "phone" light. Solid.

Echo test successful.

Unsuccessful dialing out. Error was "The number you have dialed XXXX was rejected by your service provider. Reason was 488."

Unsuccessful dialing in. Call made from Google Voice gave ringback in receiver, but no ring on phone connected to Obi. Call made from landline gave no ringback in receiver and no ring on phone connected to Obi.

Re-checked Obi config upon reconnecting to router to confirm the above settings.

RonR

A 488 error is often a Codec problem.  You haven't changed the Codec profiles in any way have you?  My SP2 uses Codec Profile A.

SnerdlyBosco

In Voice Service > SP2 Service > X_CodecProfile is default set for "B"

Noting on that same page, AuthPassword is blank, with "device default" checked.