News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which configuration tool should use?

Started by bren, January 15, 2012, 08:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren

Typing the OBI box IP in browser bring me into the OBIHai configuration tool. I configured PSTN  digitmap and other configuration parameters. After rebooting the box, I entered the "OBI Expert Configuration" from the online device management on OBItalk website: https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/config/419091/basic and found out the configurations from previous tool did not show up in this configuration tool.
Which tool should I use? Which will have effects to the box?
Thanks for your help.

RonR

You MUST use either the OBiTALK Web Portal *OR* configure the OBi directly using its IP address, but NOT both.

You will have access to more configuration items and more status working with the OBi directly.

Felix

With huge respect to Ron - almost all settings are available through OBi Expert configuration menu; and if you are new to OBi, you are most likely not experience any difference.

So, if your device is on the LAN, then it probably doesn't matter; but if you are planning to administer it remotely - I found expert configuration menu to be a huge convenience!

Note, however, that the documentation is outdated, and barely mentions expert config. But if you follow the instructions for configuring the device, you will see pretty much the same options as well

jimates

bren,

From the start, any setting made from the Obitalk portal will show up when you log into the device directly. However, unless you turn off provisioning in the device, any changes made in the device will be overwritten by the settings that were made from the Obitalk portal.

Logging into the device itself will give you access to some items not available from the portal (status, call log etc.). I find no reason to not manage the device from the portal unless you experience some problems. Even then it is mostly beneficial just to check and make sure your settings are getting there.

Again, I have never made a change from the portal that was not applied to the device.

If you elect to manage the device itself you must turn off provisioning, and be sure to back up your settings. Any changes made at the device are not stored at Obihai. If you ever find that you cannot access it locally you will need that backup to apply those settings from the portal or everything will be overwritten by the last settings made from the portal.