News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Offline Indication

Started by MurrayB, January 17, 2012, 05:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MurrayB

On the ObiTalk web portal my Obi 110 in a remote location shows offline this morning. I refreshed the screen and logged off and on multiple times. I am able to call it via Obi Network and PSTN and access my answering machine. I searched the forum and found many posts earlier last year that this is a known issue but no post indicating resolution. Has this not been fixed and I should ignore it? Can I make configuration changes and will it recognize speed dial settings and be able to relay star codes like call forwarding changes in this state? Is this something that I should just ignore (I hope)? I will be at that location later this week and will unplug the unit and have it reboot.

Thanks!

RonR

The OBi100/110 is a standalone device.  The only role the OBiTALK Web Portal plays is remote configuration.  The OBiTALK Web Portal doesn't relay star codes or interact with calls or facilitate anything other than remote configuration changes.

If you're having problems accessing the OBi via the OBiTALK Web Portal, you might consider setting:

System Management -> Device Admin -> Web Server -> Port : 8080

and forwarding port 8080 in your router to the OBi.

Then you can access the OBi remotely using the OBi's public (not LAN) IP address:8080 and not need to use the OBiTALK Web Portal.  If your public IP address is dynamic and changes periodically, you should consider a free DynDNS account which will assign a hostname that's always current.  Most routers support DynDNS updating.

MurrayB

Hello RonR

I was hoping to hear from you. I understand about the remote configuration via the portal. Am I correct in assuming that any speed dials I put on the web portal will not download to the Obi? I would have to add them locally? Your other comments are past me for the moment  but may end up being very helpful. I am going to attempt to change the older Westell DSL router that was supplied by Verizon with an Actiontec that I recently purchased (the first unit I received from Amazon was defective) later this week. I can't foresee off the top of my head why the absence of the web portal would be debilitating in my situation. I am just pleased that I do not have a defective Obi.

Thanks a heap I will post progress.

MurrayB

RonR

Quote from: MurrayB on January 17, 2012, 02:57:33 PM
I understand about the remote configuration via the portal. Am I correct in assuming that any speed dials I put on the web portal will not download to the Obi? I would have to add them locally?

If the OBiTALK Web Portal is not seeing the OBi, I would assume that remote configuration is not possible.  You could try making some changes in the blind and see if they take as evidenced by the OBi's changed behavior.

If the OBiTALK Web Portal and your OBi are not communicating, then your only choice is to access the OBi directly.  That's easy if you're sitting next to the OBi. of course, but requires the change to port 8080 and the router forwarding I previously described if you're not.

I'm not a fan of OBiTALK Web Portal and don't use it, but even if I were and did, I'd have the alternative access in place just to prevent your current dilemma.

MurrayB

RonR:

I got the feeling from your posts that you were not a fan of the web portal.

This morning I was surprised to see green and it shows connected. I also have an older modem without a router on hand. Would I eliminate this connection issue if I took the Obi off a router and connected it to its own modem?

Thanks!

RonR

Quote from: MurrayB on January 18, 2012, 04:24:47 AM
I also have an older modem without a router on hand. Would I eliminate this connection issue if I took the Obi off a router and connected it to its own modem?

Your ISP probably doesn't allow you to run two modems concurrently on one account.