News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound CID Spoofing is it possible?

Started by Loughary, February 26, 2011, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loughary

Does the OBi110 have the ability to spoof outbound CID?  What I was hoping to do is add my name to my outbound CID when placing calls.  Right now it just displays my number with "UNKNOWN NAME" I thought I read somewhere that some ATA devices can spoof the email...if not not a big deal.

FYI..I'm using a normal SIP Service provider.

Thanks.

RonR

Are you setting?:

Voice Servies -> SPx Service -> CallerIDName : [caller name]

Loughary

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2011, 01:04:08 PM
Are you setting?:

Voice Servies -> SPx Service -> CallerIDName : [caller name]

@RonR...yes I've added the caller name there doesn't seem to help...I'm assuming this data has to be sent from SIP service provider?

Thanks.

RonR

You might want to read the 'Calling-line identification' section of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

To get a caller's name in addition to the CallerID (phone number) on calls that go through the PSTN, the phone service provider has to maintain (or subscribe to) a database that provides the name.  VoIP-to-VoIP often passes the name provided in the ATA, but that information isn't passed through the PSTN (only the number).

OBi-Guru

CID number can be spoof-ed on the OBi device but not the CID name, and this is only if the ITSP cooperates (i.e. let it pass).

Your SIP ITSP can enable your CID name after they have it registered with Verisign.

Loughary

What does "X_SpoofCallerID" do in the OBi settings?

RonR

Quote from: OBi-Guru on February 26, 2011, 01:39:41 PM
CID number can be spoof-ed on the OBi device but not the CID name, and this is only if the ITSP cooperates (i.e. let it pass).
And very few ITSP's cooperate.

RonR

Quote from: Loughary on February 26, 2011, 01:41:41 PM
You might want to download the OBi Device Administration Guide (OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf).  X_SpoofCallerID is documented on page 56.  As previously noted, very few ITSP's honor this field in the FROM header and simply ignore it.

VaHam

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
Quote from: Loughary on February 26, 2011, 01:41:41 PM
You might want to download the OBi Device Administration Guide (OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf).  X_SpoofCallerID is documented on page 56.  As previously noted, very few ITSP's honor this field in the FROM header and simply ignore it.

I read page 56 and it says X_SpoofCallerID can be used but doesn't provide any example of how to implement it.  In fact I have searched the documentation extensively and cannot locate a single example of how to do it.

I do have a provider setup in SP2 which allows spoofing and I would like to have calls which go out on SP2 show my SP1 (Google Voice) cid instead of the SP2's DID.

Can someone please provide an simple example?

RonR

From page 58/59 of the latest version of the OBi Device Administration Guide:

Allow outbound Caller ID spoofing. If set to Yes, device will attempt to set the caller-id name and userid field in the FROM header to that of a remote caller in the case of a bridged call (from another trunk, such as PSTN Line or another SP Service).  Otherwise, device always its own account information to form the FROM header.
Note that most service provider will not allow originating a call if the FROM header field does not match the account credentials. Enable this option only if you are sure that the service provider allows it. For example, an IP PBX may allow it.

X_SpoofCallerID is simply an enable checkbox.  It applies to bridged calls (a call originated by the OBi that is then connected to an incoming call).  If X_SpoofCallerID is disabled (default), the OBi will use your CallerID info when originating the outgoing call.  If X_SpoofCallerID is enabled (checked), the OBi will attempt to use the CallerID info from the incoming call that it intends to bridge with.

VaHam

Quote from: RonR on April 08, 2011, 02:01:32 PM
From page 58/59 of the latest version of the OBi Device Administration Guide:

Allow outbound Caller ID spoofing. If set to Yes, device will attempt to set the caller-id name and userid field in the FROM header to that of a remote caller in the case of a bridged call (from another trunk, such as PSTN Line or another SP Service).  Otherwise, device always its own account information to form the FROM header.
Note that most service provider will not allow originating a call if the FROM header field does not match the account credentials. Enable this option only if you are sure that the service provider allows it. For example, an IP PBX may allow it.

X_SpoofCallerID is simply an enable checkbox.  It applies to bridged calls (a call originated by the OBi that is then connected to an incoming call).  If X_SpoofCallerID is disabled (default), the OBi will use your CallerID info when originating the outgoing call.  If X_SpoofCallerID is enabled (checked), the OBi will attempt to use the CallerID info from the incoming call that it intends to bridge with.

Yes I read the document but this still provides no example of how to use it as I described.  The source is the attached phone not from an incoming call; and I do not see any example of defining spoofed cid.

I am guessing it is done by modifying the OutboundCallRoute of the Phone port in it's dial string but there is no example of the syntax anywhere that I can find.  There are examples of w/o spoofing but none with. 

Again I assume it is the {(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} rule which needs to be modified just not sure of the cid syntax needed here.

VaHam

Well at least I don't feel so stupid!  Apparently no one else knows how to do this either!

lhm.

Some work around ways.

Change your VSP username/clientid to your GV#.
Voip.ms provides true spoofing for PSTN out. (ie:Send from the White House# cname shows United States. :o
Use listyourself.net.

Edit: To set in Voip.ms > Account settings> General> CallerID Number.

QBZappy

VaHam

Quote from: VaHam on April 08, 2011, 09:37:04 PM
Quote from: RonR on April 08, 2011, 02:01:32 PM
X_SpoofCallerID is simply an enable checkbox.  It applies to bridged calls (a call originated by the OBi that is then connected to an incoming call).  If X_SpoofCallerID is disabled (default), the OBi will use your CallerID info when originating the outgoing call.  If X_SpoofCallerID is enabled (checked), the OBi will attempt to use the CallerID info from the incoming call that it intends to bridge with.

Yes I read the document but this still provides no example of how to use it as I described.  The source is the attached phone not from an incoming call; and I do not see any example of defining spoofed cid.

I am guessing it is done by modifying the OutboundCallRoute of the Phone port in it's dial string but there is no example of the syntax anywhere that I can find.  There are examples of w/o spoofing but none with.  

Again I assume it is the {(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} rule which needs to be modified just not sure of the cid syntax needed here.

CID Spoofing does not belong in the digi mapping. There is no CID syntax. The only place in the OBi you can type in some type of CID is in the
Voice Services>SP1 (2) Service>Calling Features>Parameter Name>CallerIDName = Whatever

See if that works.

I use VoipMS. Their CID spoofing works by getting the CID you setup in the ATA or PBX account when it registers with their service.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

VaHam

Quote from: QBZappy on April 11, 2011, 02:14:48 PM

CID Spoofing does not belong in the digi mapping. There is no CID syntax. The only place in the OBi you can type in some type of CID is in the
Voice Services>SP1 (2) Service>Calling Features>Parameter Name>CallerIDName = Whatever

See if that works.

I use VoipMS. Their CID spoofing works by getting the CID you setup in the ATA or PBX account when it registers with their service.

No I have tried CallerIDName and that doesn't work to change the cid.

Page 115/116 talks about cid spoofing in the OutboundCallRoute.  It shows cid as an arg of the terminal and says it is a literal string.  That is what is confusing me.  I know cid spoofing works with my provider because using the same account from my Asterisk box spoofs it just fine.  But I have tried many different combinations of syntax as described on page 115/116 of the latest Obi User Guide to no avail.

RonR

VaHam,

I assume from your posts that you're probably experimenting with an OutboundCalRoute rule something like this?:

{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2(14151234567>)}

If so, are you testing it by dialing **2 + number.  That's the only way this particular rule would match and attempt to set your CallerID.  If your VoIP provider is on SP2 and your PrimaryLine is set to SP2, dialing without **2 does go out SP2, but not via this rule.  Sorry if you already know and understand this.

I don't have a VoIP provider that permits setting CallerID, so I can't try anything here.

QBZappy

VaHam,

I think there is some confusion over what you think "spoofed caller number" means and what the Admin manual definition of it is.

In the context of the user we expect that term to mean passing our Caller ID info to the party receiving our call.

In the case of the manual (P115-116) I believe it means to pass a "spoofed" telephone number over the digimap to replace the digits which were dialed.

Good examples of spoofed caller number
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.0

{(<411:18002464411>):sp1},

In this context dialing 411 will be replaced (or spoofed) with 18002464411 over SP1

I think they could have used another term to express that concept. It has a dual meaning, which would obviouly create some confusion.

Any other takes on this.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

QBZappy,

I more inclined to think you're confused.   :)

CallerID spoofing is not the same as number substitution in a DigitMap.

From the OBi Device Administration Guide:

terminal := PHx OR AAx OR LIx(arg) OR SPx(arg) OR PPx(arg) (arg object is optional)

arg := cid > target

- spoofed-caller-number is a literal string, such as 14081112233, to be used as the caller number for making a new call on the specified trunk

More notes on the arg, cid, and target objects:
- The cid object inside an arg object is optional. If omitted, it implies no caller-ID spoofing when making the call on the specified trunk. The succeeding '>' can be omitted is cid is omitted
- The target object inside an arg object is optional. If omitted, it implies the target $2, which means to call the original called number after applying any necessary digit map transformation implied by the rule. The preceding '>' cannot be omitted if target is omitted but cid is not
- arg object is optional. If omitted, it implies the arg with the target $2 and no cid. If arg is omitted, the succeeding parentheses ( ) can be omitted also.

QBZappy

RonR,

Quote from: RonR on April 11, 2011, 10:20:06 PM

From the OBi Device Administration Guide:

- spoofed-caller-number is a literal string, such as 14081112233, to be used as the caller number for making a new call on the specified trunk

Is this not an example of above mentioned statement?
Example:
{(<411:18002464411>):sp1},

In this context dialing 411 will be replaced (or spoofed) with 18002464411 (<-literal string) over SP1 (Trunk)

QBZappy

RonR,

Quote from: RonR on April 11, 2011, 10:20:06 PM
CallerID spoofing is not the same as number substitution in a DigitMap.

I didn't say that it was.

I reread that section of the manual (P115-116) and that is the impression I get of what they are trying to convey.

However I can see how you could interpret this to mean Celler ID spoofing.
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2(14151234567>)}

Note the Admin guide uses the term "spoofed-caller-number" as opposed to spoofed caller ID. I think there it is subtle difference in meaning.