News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Favorite OBi Tricks

Started by NerdUno, February 27, 2011, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NerdUno

We think we've found the perfect setup for our new OBi. The device itself is registered with Google Voice which lets you make and receive calls from your home or office. Now add Google Voice to your favorite iPhone or Nexus phone and register it with the same Google Voice account. Be sure to register your cellphone as a destination in your Google Voice account. Now, whenever you make a call from your desk or your cellphone, the call will go out with your Google Voice number as the CallerID. And, when folks call you back, both your cellphone and your desktop phone connected to the OBi will ring which lets you answer the calls wherever you happen to be.

biomesh

My favorite tricks so far:

- using digit maps and converting star codes that are easy for me to remember those that the VOIP provider uses.  I.e. convert *255 (blk) to *27 or *732 (rec) to *28.

- being able to use single stage dialing from Obiapp to call from my computer's softphone and also forking incoming calls from my Obi110 to my softphone with the Obiapp.

AmigaDude

Good point NerdUno -

I've been doing this (w/o the Obi) for the past year on my Blackberry.  ;)
What might be worth highlighting though, is that under GV settings you MUST select your Mobile# and Google Chat to get the simultaneous ringing.  In addition, you SHOULD logout of Google Chat on Gmail to prevent conflicts.  Finally, I don't know how it works on iPhone / Nexus but on the BB you have to make a conscious choice to make a GV call else it goes out as a usual mobile call

It is very handy though!!

dirk101

All right here's my setup.

My goal was to have my business phone ring on my iPhone. I wanted the incoming calls to come in over voip as I don't have very good service inside my building. When I made an outgoing call I wanted my land line phone number and name to show up. I wasn't trying for free but I wanted it to be reasonable for me.

I tried Skype, Talkatone for google voice and the Obion app. All of them had severe limitations Skype had good quality but the interface didn't work for me. Also it was so locked in I couldn't even turn off the voicemail. Talkatone had a lot of promise but I just couldn't get good call quality. The obion app.... well you know the story there.
After some research I ended up with Bria for the iphone for $9.00 and voip.ms as my provider. I chose voip.ms because it was one of the obi110 preconfigured providers and they had a server near me. The rates were reasonable as well.

The obi110 is perfect for this combo. I set up sub accounts with extension numbers at voip.ms. One for the obi and one for the iphone.  The land line rings and hands it over to SP1 which in turn connects it to the iphone as an extension. This is important as calls between extensions are free. The caller id name and number are passed along as well. So all my incoming business calls are free.

I set up my sub account with the iphone to display my business phone number and I think Bria handles my company name because there's a field in setup for "display name". So when I make a call my caller id from my business shows up.

So here are my obi settings:

Under physical interfaces/ Line/ Line Port/Inboundcallroute I have {ph,SP1(101@yourserver.voip.ms)}  101 being my extension number for the iphone.
Under ITSP Profile A SIP  I have X_SpoofCallerID checked.

On the voip.ms sub account for the obi i have the caller id field blank which allows the obi to pass along the caller id from the inbound call.

So far this is working out really well except I still have to figure out the call waiting with Bria. When a new call comes in on the land line I get an audible notification on the iphone but there is no way to switch to the call. the only way I can answer it is to hang up with the other call.

If I get it figured out I edit the post.

Derek

jimates

If you try to use the same softphone number on multiple endpoints, only the last one to sign into the Obitalk server will work. Also if you try to use multiple Obi's with the same Google Voice account, only the last one to register on Google's server will receive calls.

This process will allow you to have multiple endpoints with the same default gateway. That allows you to direct dial from multiple endpoints through the same Obi. By adjusting your InboundCallRoute for the Obitalk Service you can direct different softphones to different SP Services, you do not have to use the line that is set as default for the Obi's outgoing calls.

I set up a new Obitalk account and added a Obi110 to it. I then set the Obi110 as the default gateway for the Obitalk softphone. I set up a google account on Sp2. Then I removed the Obi110 from the account.

I set up another new Obitalk account and added the same Obi110 to it. Then I set the Obi110 as the default gateway for the Obitalk softphone in the 2nd account. I set up 2 google voice accounts on SP1 & SP2. SP1 as default line.

My new Obitalk Service InboundCallRoute looked like this {(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290xxxxxx):aa},{ph}

10 digit dialing from the Android app for the 2nd Obitalk # worked great, and calls go out on SP1

I then edited the Obitalk Service InboundCallRoute. I added a rule for the Obitalk softphone # from the 1st Obitalk account, to use SP2.

{(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290yyyyyy)>(xx.):SP2},{(290xxxxxx|290yyyyyy):ph},{ph}

10 diigit dialing from the iPhone app for the 1st Obitalk number works great also, and calls go out on SP2

So my kids now have one Obi110 with 2 google voice accounts. And 2 Obion apps, both with direct dialing through the same gateway, but different Google Voice accounts.

Now, if they would just fix the caller id pass through for the Obitalk Service.
NOTE: caller id fix is supposed to come with firmware 1.3, soon.

Note: I also edited the "aa" to "ph" in the call route so all calls from the 2 apps ring the phone instead of the auto attendant.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on May 28, 2011, 10:45:13 PM

The {(290xxxxxx|290yyyyyy):ph} is totally rudundant and serves no purpose:

jimates

Quote from: RonR on May 29, 2011, 12:17:45 AM
Quote from: jimates on May 28, 2011, 10:45:13 PM

The {(290xxxxxx|290yyyyyy):ph} is totally rudundant and serves no purpose:

I fully understand there can be some redundancy, but I started with the callroute provided after the addition of the endpoint.
{(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290xxxxxx):aa},{ph}

Also, some times I have intentional redundancy because it makes it easier to see the changes. But mostly, it greatly helps to remove the additions at a later time. I can just change the PH back to AA without having to remember what the original rule was.

Most people would probably want to leave the AA in place, but I do not need any incoming going to the AA should they missdial.

mdSeuss

I use an Obi110 for "traditional" things like GV on SP1 and my home Asterisk box on SP2. 

I also have a traditional POTS line from Verizon (necessary for the first year at our new location because the power company had leaky power lines that wreaked havoc with the cable signal and stability of our cable modem).

The Obi110 lets me plug that boring old copper line into my favorite Asterisk script that basically just screens for string matches on callerid name or callerid number.

My LINE port on the Obi110 has InboundCallRoute set to:  {SP2(screen)}

This causes an INVITE to be sent to Asterisk when the POTS line rings.  Asterisk fires up an AGI script 'screen.agi' (since I can hack Perl more easily than Asterisk extensions).  Since the Obi110 smartly waits for callerid to be delivered before sending the INVITE, my AGI script can receive callerid name and number.  The AGI script is simply just a series of Perl regexp to look for things like 'mortgage' and 'survey' and 'debt' and 'warranty' and some specific numbers. 

If the name or number are NOT matched, the script simply rings an Asterisk extension for 30 seconds and then sends the call to Asterisk voicemail (so I don't have to use Verizon's clumsy system).

If the name or number MATCH an entry, the call is immediately answered after the first ring and routed to my "Telemarketer Entertainment Script"  (which can be heard by calling 703-376-3245 which goes directly to the script and doesn't ring any phones).    The end result being that my wife only hears one ring and knows that we have intercepted an unwanted call. 

Of course this can be done with any analog interface card or other more complex network/analog interface ATAs but it is MUCH easier with the ObiTalk configuration wizards (and InboundCallRoute on LINE is the ONLY parameter I had to adjust outside of ObiTalk control).

Not knowing how much room the platform has for things like this but perhaps this could be a future enhancement for ObiTalk .... allowing regexp matching on callerid for customized routing destinations.  With all the telemarketing laws in place, it only means that the good companies obey the Do-Not-Call laws.  The ones that ignore them are generally fly-by-night and pretty darn rude and aggressive.  This new breed of telemarketer deserves a new breed of defense systems.

You could build a REAL and effective "telezapper" with an Obi110 by parsing callerid.  (The original telezapper was mostly a marketing gimmick that really didn't work).

I could even see a network based solution (enabled by Obi technology) that allowed folks to "opt-in" on database(s) of calls to block (or route to a purpose built script that still gives them a chance to leave a message).  Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away ... but ...

RonR

Quote from: mdSeuss on July 04, 2011, 07:37:20 AM

I use an Obi110 for "traditional" things like GV on SP1 and my home Asterisk box on SP2. 

I also have a traditional POTS line from Verizon (necessary for the first year at our new location because the power company had leaky power lines that wreaked havoc with the cable signal and stability of our cable modem).

The Obi110 lets me plug that boring old copper line into my favorite Asterisk script that basically just screens for string matches on callerid name or callerid number.

My LINE port on the Obi110 has InboundCallRoute set to:  {SP2(screen)}

This causes an INVITE to be sent to Asterisk when the POTS line rings.  Asterisk fires up an AGI script 'screen.agi' (since I can hack Perl more easily than Asterisk extensions).  Since the Obi110 smartly waits for callerid to be delivered before sending the INVITE, my AGI script can receive callerid name and number.  The AGI script is simply just a series of Perl regexp to look for things like 'mortgage' and 'survey' and 'debt' and 'warranty' and some specific numbers. 

If the name or number are NOT matched, the script simply rings an Asterisk extension for 30 seconds and then sends the call to Asterisk voicemail (so I don't have to use Verizon's clumsy system).

If the name or number MATCH an entry, the call is immediately answered after the first ring and routed to my "Telemarketer Entertainment Script"  (which can be heard by calling 703-376-3245 which goes directly to the script and doesn't ring any phones).    The end result being that my wife only hears one ring and knows that we have intercepted an unwanted call. 

Of course this can be done with any analog interface card or other more complex network/analog interface ATAs but it is MUCH easier with the ObiTalk configuration wizards (and InboundCallRoute on LINE is the ONLY parameter I had to adjust outside of ObiTalk control).

mdSeuss,

Be aware that due to a bug in the OBi firmware, you cannot use *78 (Do Not Disturb) to silence incoming calls destined for the OBi's phone, nor can you use *72 (Call Forward All) to forward incoming calls destined for the OBi's phone.  If either of these features is used, all InboundCallRoute processing stops on the SP1, SP2, and LINE Port trunks, breaking your interface to Asterisk and any other techniques utilizing similar InboundCallRoute processing on these trunks.  Even though correcting the problem is extremely simple, I've been informed by Obihai they will not be fixing this bug.

Further discussion can be found here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1073.msg6879#msg6879

ProfTech

This is sort of an old thread but I wanted to clarify that *78 can be used as long as the keystrokes are forwarded to your service provider and they support *78. I use this with CallCentric because I wanted to get verbal confirmation that Do Not Disturb was turned on & off. When I tried enabling it on the Obi itself, all I got was a short "stutter" dial tone as confirmation. I don't know what other negative effects it may have had as I never tried to use it.

RonR

ProfTech,

Using *78 would not be a problem if it's simply sent on to CallCentric and not acted upon by the OBi itself.

It's when the OBi's Do Not Disturb is activated (the normal use of *78) that all rules fail on the InboundCallRoutes of the SP1, SP2, and LINE Port trunks.  The same failures occur if Call Forward All (*72) is activated on the OBi.

jmsnyc

Any tricks to use Google Chat and still be able to receive incoming calls?

Can we just use another IM client like Pigeon?

DrJay

As you've discovered, the OBi takes over Google Talk as one of your forwarding phones so you can't answer calls to your GV number on your computer. But you can still place outgoing calls using the Call Phone link in Gmail.

igroup

Free outgoing cellphone calls in ATT network!

Sounds funny, but is true. Got ATT at home, got ATT cellphones - I'm in minimum family minutes plan, and it includes free ATT network (this includes landlines). When I need to make a call, I call my PSTN Line at Home, OBI picks up, then I choose one of the GV (SP1 or SP2) and make the call (using one stage dialing). And yes, it's free (Cell ATT to Home ATT = Free / GV to any USA and Canada = Free => OBI and GV works GREAT!)

DaveTap

Quote from: Shammi on January 08, 2012, 02:39:30 PM
Hi there, does this still work? I didn't get the reason of adding google account on first obitalk account. I think you could just open an obi account and add it's soft phone number in the account you have obihai 110 hooked up. Please clarify..

I want to use a obihai pc soft phone in India with a google voice attached with it. This way I don't have to send obihai 110 to India and my family can still have a US phone number to make and receive calls to my obihai and other family members in US and Canada. Our folks in US and Canada can call to them as they would have google voice number dedicated to obi soft phone. Please let me know if it is possible. Thanks.
You don't even need the OBiApp just set up a GoogleVoice account and open gmail. On the left click "Call Phone" install the flash plug-in and you're all set to make and receive calls. I recommend Google Chrome, add the Google Voice plug-in and a little Icon upper right will display missed calls/texts. If you install GoogleTalk and invite the other family members it can call your OBIs using their Gmail Addresses, and see if they're signed into chat or  "voice only" on the OBi.

Judgeless

This setup keeps getting better.  I have 5 OBI boxes, 4 connected to my PBX. 

Line one home number
Line two old business number
Line three the Google number that calls my work cell and rings at home.  My new business number.
Line four the wife's Google number that calls her work, cell and rings at home.  Her new business number.

The fifth is a box that I can call out (using line 3 caller id) remotely that rings when line three rings.
I can also call into the PBX and dial any extension in the house.  Also when my doorbell rings it calls my cell phone.

The last thing I want to do is forward 911 to a landline that my DSL uses.  I never use the number and the line is not connected to my PBX.  I am not asking how to do this yet.  I am still working on a few other things.

I also have an icon (VB App) that I got off this forum that lets me record calls on the fly.

This is a great product. I wish more devices in the world were this configurable.

MichiganTelephone

I figured out today that you can route your Google Voice calls through Bill Simon's gateway and often get at least something useful in the Caller ID NAME display.  The method has its pros and cons:

How to use the Simon Telephonics Google Voice gateway with an Obihai device to provide Caller ID Name on incoming Google Voice calls
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

tome

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on April 15, 2012, 05:57:30 PM
I figured out today that you can route your Google Voice calls through Bill Simon's gateway and often get at least something useful in the Caller ID NAME display.  The method has its pros and cons:

How to use the Simon Telephonics Google Voice gateway with an Obihai device to provide Caller ID Name on incoming Google Voice calls

Looks like there is another way to get Caller ID with Name for free (or for e911 fee?).  I already have Callcentric e911 service on my Obi for which I pay $1.50/mo.  Callcentric currently has a free phone number offer (in the NY state area): http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

1) I got one of these numbers. 
2) Went to Google voice settings and turned off "Forward calls to:  Google chat". This did not do anything with outbound calling, that still works from my obi.
3) Added the new Callcentric number as a forwarding number in GV (on same screen as #2 - "Add another phone"
4) Verified this new added phone number and made sure it is selected for forwarding GV calls to.
5) (re)Enjoy knowing who is calling

There is no charge for the number or for incoming calls, at least as long as the offer lasts.  If you do not currently have e911 service you may have to buy that in order to get one of these number.  This was reported by someone else, so I cannot verify if that is true or not, but the terms and conditions of the free number offer do indicate that e911 service is required and separate.

Tom

Hortoristic

Tome - I got the free Callcentric number - just checking - am I removing the GV on my OBI device, and replacing it with Callcentric since all my GV calls will be forwarded to it?  I guess I'm not getting how having forwarded GV numbers to this free DID, will now ring my OBI?

Since I only have SP1 as GV and SP2 as voip.ms - I'm thinking your solution requires it's own SP slot?  So maybe get new OBI202 so I can configure SP3 with Callcentric, then have GV forward to this new Callcentric number then I'll have caller name?

QBZappy

CC is registered as a sip acct on the OBi

Call->GV (forwarded)->CC (registered)->OBi (rings)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.