News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obitalk.com vs remote control

Started by Juste, January 16, 2012, 08:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juste

Hi,

I am sure the question must have been answered many times but I am still looking for a clearer explanation.

What options should I enable/disable to be able to configure the device from www.obitalk.com without having to double check on web interface whether changes reached the device ?

Thanks,

jimates

Auto provisioning has to be enabled (default setting) at the device in order for it to be managed from the portal.

I guess there is no guarantee, but I have never had my settings from the portal NOT delivered to the device.

Juste

Thanks for replying.

Indeed, there seems to be no guarantee that it always works this way.

I still have surprises from time to time and have to double check both interfaces to make sure the changes have been enabled.

RonR

Juste,

If you don't need the ability to configure your OBi remotely, there's no particular advantage to using the OBiTALK Web Portal over configuring your OBi directly.  It takes much more effort to manage the OBi through the OBiTALK Web Portal and adds uncertainty, limitations, and dependencies, so I never understand the appeal to use it.

Juste

RonR

Being able to remotely configure the device is exactly what I need.
Otherwise, I would see no particular interest in limiting myself to OBiTALK.
OTOH, seeing all my devices on the same page may also be convenient.

RonR

Quote from: Juste on January 18, 2012, 08:38:26 PM
I still have surprises from time to time and have to double check both interfaces to make sure the changes have been enabled.

If the device(s) are not local to you, how are double-checking the OBi interface(s) to make sure the changes made it there?

Juste

I have remote control to one of my distant devices and only OBiTALK access to the second one. Both have the same configuration. I can double check the behaviour of the first one and compare what really changes/gets overwritten.
When I see that the device does not react to the changes, I realize that some settings did not get overwritten.

RonR

I couldn't live with that uncertainty.

I prefer to change the OBi web interface port to 8080, forward port 8080 to the OBi, and access it directly so I know exactly what is happening.

Juste

I have to deal with that.

People in those places would be bothered if I tried to ask for their help. Fortunately, I do not have to change settings every day. Once I set up the configuration I want, it works properly and can be forgotten.

Felix

RonR -

and I use vi to edit files. I am not saying it's the same thing (comparing vi to editing device directly); only that you have started using OBi device long before the rest of us; when ObiNet panel wasn't even available... so you got used to it.
I manage 4 devices remotely, with 3 not available directly - and I've never seen setting not pushed to the device (it does take up to a minute to push and reboot the device; it's a minor inconvenience)

lk96

Quote from: RonR on January 18, 2012, 10:05:54 PM
I couldn't live with that uncertainty.

I prefer to change the OBi web interface port to 8080, forward port 8080 to the OBi, and access it directly so I know exactly what is happening.

What kind of security or attack prevention measures Obi has? Besides the password doesn't seem
to have any. Is that correct?

I would also preferred the direct management (as opposed to Obitalk) but I'm not too comfortable
exposing an unprotected web management interface directly to the net.

The alternative of course is to utilize an ssh tunnel into a home server and then use that
through VNC (or other remote desktop sharing SW) to tweak the Obi.