News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Autoaswer Option

Started by OldGeek, January 18, 2012, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGeek

I could not find an option to auto answer the phone line.  If it is already in there can someone please direct me as to where I can find it.  If auto answer is not there could that option be added.  This would be a handy option to listen to a scanner or for hands free answering of a speaker phone.  Please consider an auto answer option.

RonR

Isn't this a feature that would have to be implemented in a speakerphone or other device that's plugged into an OBi PHONE Port?  How can an OBi make an external device like a speakerphone go off-hook?

Think about how an answering machine works.  It sees the line ringing and answers.  An OBi can't force it to answer if it doesn't do so on its own.

OldGeek

An auto answer speaker phone would work for one application, if you can find one for under $100.  I was considering using a device that would connect to the audio and not have to build ring detect, pulling loop current and sense call termination.

The OBI has very clear signaling on the loop.  Off hook and call setup (dialing) is at one polarity and the call content is at another polarity (they changed the default for this in the latest release).  Once the call is answered a simple diode and resistor will keep the line open until the call has terminated.

Stewart

Possibly, your diode and series resistor would pull enough current during ringing to trip the ring, so you wouldn't need any ring control logic.

Or, use a Linksys ATA in Streaming Audio Server mode.