News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What happened??? Resolving DNS - Obi won't work at all - help please!

Started by amynewbie, January 19, 2012, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amynewbie

I've used the Obi with Google Voice for the last six months.  Today I did two things... I configured a Callcentric account to give me 911 access (but didn't touch the Google Voice settings--I swear) and I got the latest software update for the Obi by pressing ***6.  I saw that I had a yellow exclamation point and needed the update.  *However* I did then lose my mind and pickup the phone handset about two minutes later before I remembered that I probably shouldn't do that right now.  That was more than half an hour ago, and it's been cycling through red and green lights ever since, not working.  On the Obitalk dashboard it says "Resolving DNS".  What did I do, and how on earth do I fix it???  Thanks to anyone who can help!!

amynewbie

Now on the d ashboard it says...  Connecting to 209.85.145.125...  but it's still cycling over and over.

RonR

If power-cycling the OBi doesn't stop the repeated rebooting, try using a paper-clip through the hole in the bottom that has a circle around it.  Hold the reset button down for at least 30 seconds before releasing it.  If the OBi stops repeatedly rebooting, it should be back at factory defaults and ready to be reconfigured.

If the rebooting continues, does it stop if you unplug the Ethernet cable?  If so, try this:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

slicemaster

I'm having some serious issues with DNS myself on my obi device... I have my settings all manually configured.
And my DNS servers are fine... 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (These are Google's public DNS servers so these are not the problem). anyways I have callwithus configured and my obi will not resolve the server addresses via dns. this just up and happened like a day or so ago. until then everything was tip top no issues. now the only way to get my obi to work correctly is to enter in the ip address of sip.callwithus.com which is not ideal. this is definitely a bug of sorts.

hope the bug gets fixed soon!

p.s. I have the latest firmware...

RonR

slicemaster,

The problem is with Google's DNS servers, not the OBi:

D:\Work>nslookup sip.callwuthus.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find sip.callwuthus.com: Non-existent domain

slicemaster

C:\>nslookup sip.callwithus.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    sip.callwithus.com
Address:  204.74.213.5

looks like it resolved to me...

RonR

slicemaster

So has anyone else been having issues like this? I know its not a network issue because I have other sip devices that have no problem resolving the name correctly. I also know its not a configuration issue as it was working fine for weeks then bam it just decides to stop working... I've tried all the no brainer stuff, ie power cycling the obi, resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring, and even updating my obi and router firmware....still the same result. When I look at the line statuus it shows that the obi is trying and retrying to register to 0.0.0.0:5060 obiously an issue...but when I change the reg server and proxy to ip address for server rather than sip.callwithus.com works no problem....

Kale

I had the same exact issue starting yesterday.  I found the problem in my local obi admin page (entering ip address in browser to get to admin - you can get the obi's ip address by dialing ***1 i think) - and I found that under System Management > Network Settings > Default Gateway was changed from the original setting I had put in.  The very last digit was changed to a 0 some how and it shouldn't have been.  Mine should have been 192.168.1.1 (routers ip address).  Maybe this is the problem you and others are having?