News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why is my Obi110 unit constantly recycling???

Started by otherwhirl, January 20, 2012, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherwhirl

So i took Ron's advise and recommending steps to fixing the issue of my Obi110 unit from recycling (see below)

Well... it's not only not working.it's now recycling even more frequently.

Why is my unit constantly recycling in the first place?

Help!  :(

Quoteotherwhirl

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: OBi110 (new unit) power cycles
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:27:32 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
Hi,

I notice my Obi 110 (about 4months old) also randomly (I think, not sure if this is server-side related or not)

Should I follow your recommendation as well?

Quote from: RonR on January 19, 2012, 10:40:01 PM
With the Ethernet cable unplugged (so the OBi doesn't repeatedly reboot), try this:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

Report to moderator   76.102.125.206
RonR
OBi110 Beta Testers

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:32 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: otherwhirl on Today at 04:27:32 AM

There's no risk as you can reverse it by using a value of 0 in step 4.
   Report to moderator   Logged
otherwhirl

Why is my Obi110 constantly recycling itself???  ???

So I took Ron's advise to another user and followed a serious of recommended steps to fix my issues with the unit?

However, nothing has changed. In fact, if I'm not sure if it hasn't gotten worst!

help!  :(                                        

« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:19:19 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
Quote from: RonR on Today at 08:45:32 AM
Quote from: otherwhirl on Today at 04:27:32 AM

There's no risk as you can reverse it by using a value of 0 in step 4.

Gonna try shortly.

Why does this happen in the first place?  I have noticed this quite frequently. Heck even in the past 24hrs it has happened at least 5-10 times (that i've counted...)

RFord

I don't get, why did you start a new thread on this same issue, only to copy and paste the old thread?

otherwhirl

Hoping to get an answer... (which I have not) and solution

Quote from: RFord on January 20, 2012, 03:58:31 PM
I don't get, why did you start a new thread on this same issue, only to copy and paste the old thread?

RonR

Quote from: otherwhirl on January 20, 2012, 03:42:32 PM
it's now recycling even more frequently.

You can undo the change by repeating the steps and using a value of 0 rather than 1 in step 4.

Resetting the OBi to factory defaults will also undo the change.

This change simply configured the Ethernet port for 100 mb/s full duplex operation instead of the default 10 mb/s half-duplex operation.

otherwhirl

Quote from: RonR on January 20, 2012, 06:46:32 PM
Quote from: otherwhirl on January 20, 2012, 03:42:32 PM
it's now recycling even more frequently.

You can undo the change by repeating the steps and using a value of 0 rather than 1 in step 4.

Resetting the OBi to factory defaults will also undo the change.

This change simply configured the Ethernet port for 100 mb/s full duplex operation instead of the default 10 mb/s half-duplex operation.

ok Ron,

will do. but how will that stop the recycling altogther? will it?

RonR

You indicated that changing the OBi Ethernet port from the default 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full-duplex made your problem worse.  I simply explained how to put it back.

There have been cases where some networks didn't like the OBi running 10 mb/s half-duplex and changing to 100 mb/s full-duplex alleviated their problems.  Apparently this change did not improve things for you.  I don't have any further ideas at this time.

otherwhirl

So basically you're saying i'm just stuck with a problem to deal with on my own?

Quote from: RonR on January 20, 2012, 09:24:37 PM
You indicated that changing the OBi Ethernet port from the default 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full-duplex made your problem worse.  I simply explained how to put it back.

There have been cases where some networks didn't like the OBi running 10 mb/s half-duplex and changing to 100 mb/s full-duplex alleviated their problems.  Apparently this change did not improve things for you.  I don't have any further ideas at this time.

Stewart

Is anything logged in syslog, just prior to the reboot?  Or, is any information logged about the reboot cause?

otherwhirl

Quote from: Stewart on January 21, 2012, 01:56:59 AM
Is anything logged in syslog, just prior to the reboot?  Or, is any information logged about the reboot cause?

Hey Stewart thanks for responding.

Please forgive me , as I am not to keen on much of the VOIP terminology.

Where would I access the "syslog" data? " is any information logged about the reboot cause?" Again, I am uncertain about where exactly I would access this information you are referring to.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Stewart

In the OBi, set System Management -> Device Admin -> Syslog -> Server to the local IP address of your PC.  On the PC, run a syslog server or Wireshark to capture the data.  If you don't have one or don't know what that means, Google it.  There are several free syslog daemons for Windows.

ProfTech

See the Post "KERNEL ERROR-SYSTEM REBOOTED". This rebooting seems to be related to Obitalk provisioning. If you disable it in the Obi temporarily it should stop the rebooting. We'll have to wait and see if Obihai posts anything regarding this.

obi-support2

This problem was caused by an error on our server when generating device profiles.
It is now fixed (it may take some time for the fix to propagate to all affected units).
If you still see this problem happening to your unit, please email us at support@obihai.com

This problem only happens to units provisioned by OBITALK.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

nmssystems1

in the past i have seen this problem before .. it is just worse now since the server upgrade a few days ago..

what i did to get past it is to delete all the obi devices out of the obitalk profile then create a new email then add my devices in there all at once instead of over time..this seems to do better with there portal server..

in ether case i think the profile is fubar at this point just start over on the new obitalk server..from the new server..they upgraded a few days ago..

ether way guys it is still better than no obi portal and config each obi on its own with the web interface.. for each device..

just my idea.. now if i could figure out a way to send the inital measage to the obi server server and not have the user at each remote site dial the **5 code i would be in heven..

then i could rebuild my profile with any user interaction..

thanks