News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

E911 Caller ID - Google Voice + CallCentric

Started by CyGuy, March 07, 2012, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyGuy

Hi All,

I just setup my Obi110 with Google Voice (SP1)  + CallCentric E911 (SP2). I checked the E911 box so outgoings 911 calls would automatically be routed to the VOIP serive rather than the land line port. Google voice my primary for all other outgoing/incoming calls.

1st Question
- When I check the box 'Use This Service For Emergency 911 Calls' - does that mean I do not need to make any manual changes to the OutboundCallRoute Value?

2nd Question -  When I dial 911, since it uses CallCentric, will 911 dispatch see my CallCentric Caller ID? If this is the case, I'd like to make it so they see my Google Voice Number by default. This is important because if I am disconnected, 911 needs the right number to call back. Ideally, I'd want 911 to ring my GV number, in addition to my correct address.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rick

Quote from: CyGuy on March 07, 2012, 12:29:27 PM
Hi All,

I just setup my Obi110 with Google Voice (SP1)  + CallCentric E911 (SP2). I checked the E911 box so outgoings 911 calls would automatically be routed to the VOIP serive rather than the land line port. Google voice my primary for all other outgoing/incoming calls.

1st Question
- When I check the box 'Use This Service For Emergency 911 Calls' - does that mean I do not need to make any manual changes to the OutboundCallRoute Value?

2nd Question -  When I dial 911, since it uses CallCentric, will 911 dispatch see my CallCentric Caller ID? If this is the case, I'd like to make it so they see my Google Voice Number by default. This is important because if I am disconnected, 911 needs the right number to call back. Ideally, I'd want 911 to ring my GV number, in addition to my correct address.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, you don't need to do anything else.

Once Callcentric tells you that E911 is setup, call the non-emergency number of your dispatch and ask them if you can do a 911 test.  They usually prefer non-rush hours.  When you call 911, Callcentric will make the call on a unique number, and provide dispatch with the name and address info that you typed in to Callcentric.  The number displayed will be a special unique number (not your GV number and it cannot be).  If dispatch calls this number, it will ring via Callcentric to your OBi box via Callcentric being setup on SP2.  I have tested this and this is how it works.  I know the number because the dispatcher told it to me.  I questioned Callcentric and here is what they said:

The way we implement 911 is by using a hidden DID (phone number) (in your case it is the 1914xxxxxxx number) that is associated with your account, this DID is not visible at all on the client side and cannot be called to reach you,the only time it is accessible is after you call 911. Also, since the number is not visible by you or your call treatments the calls will ring through even if you have a call treatment enabled. Please ensure that you read our information regarding 911 (http://www.callcentric.com/911/).

One reason that we implement 911 in this way is because we have a large number of clients who do not even have DID's on their accounts, if they call 911 then 911 needs a number to be able to reach them at, this way we have one central and simple way of implementing 911, the lease complicated the better and also that way there is less room for error so that 911 should always work.

Another reason we do this is because a portion of our customers have multiple DID's on their account and in general people are switching products around, etc. this way you have one number that is always used for 911 on your account regardless of the other products that you have, so if you want to move the DID to another account of yours then it won't affect your 911 service, note that this also saves money because otherwise we would have to re-provision your 911 any time you made such a change. Another example is if you are forwarding your DID to another location and someone at your house has an emergency and uses your Callcentric account to call 911 if the emergency response center needs to call you back then they call back the DID that is hidden and therefore will always ring where your device or softphone is physically registered.

Additionally, since we use a hidden DID, the 911 operator wouldn't see your caller ID, they would see the hidden DID and the address you have on your account.

CyGuy

Thank you Rick, completely answered my questions!

dudlee

Thank you CyGuy and Rick. CyGuy, I have always wondered about these specific questions.  Rick, thanks, a great explanation.

ErickTheRed

Thank you!  Wish there was a vote up feature.

Dust

Great info, this should be a sticky!!   ;D