News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice and **1

Started by BK63, January 23, 2012, 09:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63

Just wondering is there a string I can set some place in the obi 100 to enter the **1 for me?  Not a problem using the phone but my house alarm has a dialer and won't do this.  Since I have to hit a key sequence and then a * and then the number when programming, the dialer won't do more stars.  Just wondering if anybody came across this?  Thanks

RonR

Can you make the alarm dialer send : 999 + <actual number>

If so, and assuming your PrimaryLine is SP2:

Service Providers -> ITSP Porfile B -> General -> DigitMap:

(<999:**1>xx.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

BK63

I believe google talk is setup for sp1.  I can make the dialer dial any numbers I want.  I just can't get the stars in there.  As for the rest of your message I'm kind of new to this if you can explain a little more.  I need the dummies book on this thing, all new to me.  Thanks.

RonR

The only reason you (or your alarm dialer) would use **1 to dial a number is if SP1 is not your PrimaryLine.  If SP1 is your PrimaryLine and you want calls to use SP1, then no **1 is needed.

If your PrimaryLine is not SP1 and you want calls to use SP1, then it is necessary to use **1.

To make the change I suggested, you can either use the OBiTALK Web Portal OBi Expert which documented in this post:

OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

or you can make the changes directly to the OBi by logging into the IP address returned by dialing ***1.

If you make the changes directly, you must also set the following:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Stewart

What services are set up on your OBi?  What service is your Primary Line (the one you get if you don't dial a special prefix)?  Are you trying to get your alarm system to use a different service for its "backup" number?  

Does your alarm system have cellular backup?  If not, depending on VoIP is probably not a good idea; see my comments in this thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25200984-Is-Voipo.com-compatible-with-a-Brinks-alarms-system .

BK63

I was under the impression, that to use the obi with google voice, that I had to dial **1 to access google voice.  I must have read it some place, because when I do that I'm able to dial out.  I have not even tried it any other way yet.  Under the device configuration, it says google voice is SP1 and connected.  If I don't have to actually dial that **1 my problem is probably solved.  Also I don't understand what the soft phone is?  Sorry for the dumb questions this whole thing is new to me and I just stumbled on this device and decided to buy one and give it a try.

BK63

Ok I can dial straight out now but alarm dialer still does not call my cell as programmed.  I can see the obi lights flickering like it's trying to do something.  Any other suggestions?

RonR

Look in the OBi Call History and see what was actually dialed and what/where the OBi sent it.

BK63

The call log shows when I dial from the phone to my cell it shows my cell number and connected.  When the alarm dials my cell, it shows the cell number but not connected.  Seems it's dialing but for whatever reason it's not going through.  This worked with a regular phone line.  I have to wonder what is causing it not to work now.

RonR

If the correct number is shown in the right-hand column under Google Voice, that's the number that was sent to Google Voice.  It shouldn't matter whether it was dialed into the PHONE Port by a telephone set or an alarm dialer.  The OBi communicates with Google Voice the same way regardless of how the dialing to the PHONE Port was accomplsihed.