News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSTN and VOIP Account

Started by Sunfiregt, January 25, 2012, 12:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Quote from: Wilbour on March 30, 2012, 05:17:43 PM
911 PSTN
10 DIGIT PSTN
800 # PSTN
11 DIGIT GOOGLE VOICE

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>(1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.))

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap : (<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Internatinal calls (011+) will also be routed to SP1 (Google Voice).

Wilbour

Quote from: RonR on March 30, 2012, 05:45:18 PM
Quote from: Wilbour on March 30, 2012, 05:17:43 PM
911 PSTN
10 DIGIT PSTN
800 # PSTN
11 DIGIT GOOGLE VOICE

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>(1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.))

Voice Services -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap : (<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Internatinal calls (011+) will also be routed to SP1 (Google Voice).

So this is way harder than I thought it would be. I followed the instructions (except Voice Services - I had to use Service Providers since Voice Serices did not have ITSP Profile) but my phone attached to the OBI110 defaults to the SP1 unless I **8 first. My other phones in the house do not ring for incoming GV calls and they are never use SP1 for long-distance unless I **1 first. Am I missing something?

RonR

Quote from: Wilbour on April 16, 2012, 07:35:15 AM
I followed the instructions (except Voice Services - I had to use Service Providers since Voice Serices did not have ITSP Profile) but my phone attached to the OBI110 defaults to the SP1 unless I **8 first.

'Voice Services' should have been 'Service Providers' -- that was a typo.

3- and 10-digit numbers should go out the LINE Port.  Are you sure you set?:

Only 11-digit and 011+ numbers should go out SP1.

None of this has any affect on incoming calls.  If the phone connected to the OBi rings and others don't, that's a wiring issue.  For the OBi to ring a phone, it must be connected to the OBi PHONE Port.  The OBi cannot ring a phone connected to the LINE Port.

Double-check your settings in the OBi itself by logging into the IP address returned by dialing ***1.

Wilbour

This stuff can make you feel stupid! I have my ip address and of course it asks for username and password. Would that not be "Home" the display name and "admin" the default password?

RonR

The username and password are both admin by default.

If the OBiTALK Web Portal changed the OBi's password, it would be listed there.

Wilbour

Thanks, I am in. I'll see what kind of changes were made. I followed the above recommendations but nothing works with regards to PSTN phones. They do not dial out using GV and the default number for my phone attached to the 110 is always GV.

Wilbour

We are making progress! I was using the web interface from OBI but when I accessed the unit directly the default was SP1. Now the phone on the 110 is using my telco # first.

Will keep you posted as I keep testing

RonR

If you make any changes to the OBi directly, you also have to set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite the changes you make with its settings.

Wilbour

I have followed your instructions and my phone connected to the 110 is working as intended.

10 digit dialing is telco
11 digit dialing is GV.

Am I wrong when I thought I could use other phones in the house connected to the telco line that they could access GV either automatically or by dialling **1? For the life of my I cannot use them to make outgoing calls with GV

RonR

Any telephone(s) that need to use the services of the OBi, either for placing outgoing calls through the OBi or receiving incoming calls from the OBi, must be connected to the OBi's PHONE Port.

Any telephone(s) connected to the LINE port along with the incoming PSTN Line can only place calls and receive calls through the PSTN Line.

Do NOT connect the incoming PSTN Line to the OBi's PHONE Port as this could potentially damage the OBi.

Wilbour

Thanks Ron, I totally misunderstood what the 110 could do. I was under the impression that once the telco line was connected it would allow ALL the PSTN phones to act like the one connected to the PHONE jack of the 110. So if I want a phone to ring in another part of the house I should invest in a cordless system and plug that into the PHONE jack of the 110. Not sure why I thought it could do more. Guess I was not paying close attention.

Thanks for your advice!

RonR

The alternative is to isolate your incoming PSTN Line from your house phone wiring and connect it only to the OBi's LINE Port.  Then connect the OBi's PHONE Port to your house phone wiring.  All of your house phones will then be on the OBI's PHONE Port and can use all of the services of the OBi AND the PSTN Line.

Wilbour

My solution is to rewire the main phone on the first level to run off the obi. My power bar has a built-in splitter near the 110 so that gives me two phones, one on each level. Those are the phones we use mostly for making long distance calls anyway.

RonR

Just make sure your PSTN Line is NOT connected to anything that gets connected to the OBi PHONE Port.

Stewart

From a phone connected only to your PSTN line, you can make a GV call by dialing your GV number.  At the main menu, press 2 to make a call.  This is most useful if your PSTN service has unlimited local calling and your GV number is local to you. (Your PSTN number should be one of the forwarding numbers on the GV account, but you can of course set GV to not actually forward there.)

Wilbour

Quote from: RonR on April 16, 2012, 09:25:56 PM
Just make sure your PSTN Line is NOT connected to anything that gets connected to the OBi PHONE Port.

I isolated that one other phone and have it connected to the splitter which in turn is connected to the PHONE port on the OBi. All other phones are still connected to the PSTN as usual. I would have connected all phones to this port but noticed that when there is no power to the OBi, I don't get a dialtone. Everything is working as expected with a few oddities. I cannot dial "0" to reach the PSTN customer service on the additional OBi phone (rarely do this anyway) but I am sure I can modify my digi map for this. The OBi phone waits a full ring compared to standard phone before ringing when my home # is called (no need to worry, just interesting).

Wilbour

Quote from: Stewart on April 16, 2012, 09:59:04 PM
From a phone connected only to your PSTN line, you can make a GV call by dialing your GV number.  At the main menu, press 2 to make a call.  This is most useful if your PSTN service has unlimited local calling and your GV number is local to you. (Your PSTN number should be one of the forwarding numbers on the GV account, but you can of course set GV to not actually forward there.)

Great advise but I live in Canada and cannot yet have GV forward to my home number, or cell for that matter. My GV # is for the town where my family lives in the US. That way they never have to pay to call me since the number is local. That being said I do not call my GV # from my PSTN line since it is long distance to start.

RonR

Quote from: Wilbour on April 17, 2012, 01:00:05 PM
I would have connected all phones to this port but noticed that when there is no power to the OBi, I don't get a dialtone.

The current revision of OBi hardware is missing a relay that used to be present which connected the OBi PHONE Port to the OBi LINE Port in the event of a power failure.

I cannot dial "0" to reach the PSTN customer service on the additional OBi phone (rarely do this anyway) but I am sure I can modify my digi map for this.

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : (0|[2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>(1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.))

The OBi phone waits a full ring compared to standard phone before ringing when my home # is called (no need to worry, just interesting).

If your PSTN line doesn't have CallerID or you don't care about the OBi not receiving it, set:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> RingDelay : 0