News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 - release date? will it support two separate voip lines?

Started by aldo, January 27, 2012, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

First, I think we can all agree that people on this forum have no need for router functionality in ATA. At least I have not heard anybody saying "I am using it".

So, we all come up with more or less made-up situations when it could be useful. I did the same myself a few months back.

Just like Rick I am tech support for my 80-year old father and his retirement home neighbors. And I can say that one out of 10 used (or could use) router on ATA, and even that one no longer uses after grandchildren gave him a Blu-Ray player on their golden wedding anniversary.

By the way, DSL companies (at least AT&T and Verizon) install modems with built-in routers; and as annoying as it is - it is very difficult to set up another router, without much value in return!

TimDan

Quote from: carl on March 13, 2012, 06:56:06 PM
... I could not care less about the router...

Looking at MichiganTelephone's blog, the most interesting thing about the router is:

"QoS optimized for the VoIP application by default."  ["QoS" stands for "quality of service".]

IOW, it puts a high priority on voice packets and keeps their delay low when other
traffic is competing for bandwidth.  This would avoid drop-outs and other breaks in
voice that plague all heavily-loaded networks that share streaming media bandwidth
data file transfers.  This would probably be of most value to a small business wherein
one PC is sending files while a VoIP conversation is taking place, or in a home while
someone is downloading a video or movie during a VoIP contact.  If you look at the
specs of the typical business router costing many hundreds of dollars, you will see
control of QoS on a port-by-port or other basis as a feature.

*TimDan*