News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi <-> OBiTALK connection

Started by Huib, February 04, 2012, 03:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huib

Observations after today's maintenance:
1) After the maintenance today I'm noticing that some of my changes made in the OBiTALK portal haven't made it to my OBi.
2) When I tell my OBi's to reboot from the device's web page it takes a good minute or more before it does it. This used to be instantaneous.
3) From the OBiTALK OBi expert page - call status option: I get "Cannot retrieve requested information from the device now. Please try again later."

Does anyone have the same issues? I rebooted, reset, resynced the OBi's but that didn't help. The OBi's show up with their regular green icon in the dashboard.

Thanks for your input  :)

RonR

I'm curious why you wrestle with the OBiTALK Web Portal when you have the same configuration capabilities and status (and more) available directly with 100% reliably?

Huib

Because 2 of my 3 OBi's will live far away and a selling point was the ability to manage them remotely without having to open firewalls. Also the shared speed dials are great.

But I've got that sinking feeling that the portal is not ready for prime time :(

RonR

Forwarding a single port in a router (8080) to allow access to an OBi remotely is not exactly opening a firewall or creating a vulnerability.  The tradeoff of being totally reliant on a third party is a much more serious risk in my opinion.

Huib

Well I agree on the third party bit, but they sell you a device, a portal and OBiTALK service. The package makes it compelling. Else I could just stay with my PAP2, SipSorcery, SipGate and Google Voice.

One port is just one port but they're scanning like crazy on the net and now you hope & trust that that 3rd party didn't expose bugs in the firmware that lets hackers do whatever they want to do.

Huib

I can report that my OBi's did sync after quite a while and call status and system status work again. Let's hope I don't have to make anymore changes :)