News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie, really confused newbie - some basic questions...

Started by Robert.Thompson, January 30, 2012, 11:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

• I have an Obi 110 - what are the implications/purposes of connecting my regular phone line into the 'Line' connection' on the Obi box?
  • I have connected to my Google Voice account but I don't understand what the point is? What can be accomplished by connecting to my GV account?

That's all for now.

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on January 30, 2012, 11:37:39 AM
I have an Obi 110 - what are the implications/purposes of connecting my regular phone line into the 'Line' connection' on the Obi box?

By connecting your regular phone line to the OBi LINE Port, you can consolidate all your telephone services (POTS line, Google Voice, etc.) through one set of telephones connected to the OBi PHONE Port.  You can also forward calls from one service to the other, call into the OBi using one service and make new calls out on another service, etc.  The OBi can also facilitate access to all of your services from a smartphone or a PC.

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on January 30, 2012, 11:37:39 AM
I have connected to my Google Voice account but I don't understand what the point is? What can be accomplished by connecting to my GV account?

Google Voice is simply a telephone service provider, like your regular telephone line.  Because it's currently free, many find they don't need a regular telephone line and are able to cancel it, saving a considerable amount of money each month.

Robert.Thompson

QuoteBy connecting your regular phone line to the OBi LINE Port, you can consolidate all your telephone services (POTS line, Google Voice, etc.) through one set of telephones connected to the OBi PHONE Port.  You can also forward calls from one service to the other, call into the OBi using one service and make new calls out on another service, etc.  The OBi can also facilitate access to all of your services from a smartphone or a PC.

If my regular line is plugged in, do my out-going calls go through OBi or through my regular phone line?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on January 30, 2012, 12:06:38 PM
If my regular line is plugged in, do my out-going calls go through OBi or through my regular phone line?

All calls made from the telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port go through the OBi.  Which trunk they use by default is the question.  An unconfigured OBi defaults to using the LINE Port for outgoing calls.  You can select the default trunk to be used for outgoing calls at:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : (SP1 Service/SP2 Service/OBiTALK Service/PSTN Line)

An alternate trunk may then be selected when dialing by prefixing the number with:

**1  ->  SP1 Service
**2  ->  SP2 Service
**8  ->  LINE Port
**9  ->  OBiTALK Service

Incoming calls on any trunk rings the OBi PHONE Port by default.

Robert.Thompson

QuotePhysical Interfaces -> [quote/]

Where do I find this on ObiTalk Home?

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

It's much easier to simply set it in the OBi directly, but if you wish to use the OBiTALK Web Portal:

OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on January 30, 2012, 12:42:58 PM
It's much easier to simply set it in the OBi directly, but if you wish to use the OBiTALK Web Portal:

OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

How do I set it up 'in the Obi directly'?

Thanks for your patience,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

You log into the OBi itself using the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  The default username/password is admin/admin, but the password may have been changed if you added the OBi to the OBiTALK Web Portal Dashboard (the current password should be displayed there).

If you configure the OBi directly instead of using the OBiTALK Web Portal, you must also set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite any changes you make directly.

Robert.Thompson

I have 5 options:

SP1 service
SP2 service
OBiTalk service
PSTN Line
Trunk Group 1

To set up OBi to always use the internet on my out-going calls, I should select OBiTalk and check Default, right?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

The OBi makes calls through service providers which you configure on the OBi.

Google Voice is a service provider which you have probably configured on the SP1 Service trunk.

You could put a second Google Voice account or a SIP VoIP provider on the SP2 Service trunk.

OBi-to-OBi communications is provided by a proprietary Obihai server which is configured on the OBiTALK Service trunk.  This allows you to call other OBi's and OBiON Apps using 9-digit OBiTALK numbers.

The LINE Port (connected to your POTS telephone line) is another trunk.

It's your choice which of these is used by default for outgoing calls.

You probably want to select SP1 Service (Google Voice) as your PrimaryLine.

When configuring the OBi directly, you must uncheck the Default checkbox to be able to change the associated setting.  Checking the Default checkbox forces the associated setting back to its default value.

Robert.Thompson

Thank you, I think I have it set up correctly now.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)