News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can you call any 855 numbers? i can't by using google voice.

Started by preppystud, December 23, 2011, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preppystud

1- 855-843-9303

such as the number for x-factor voting, i use google voice, it will just keep ringing without answering. i tried another 855 number before, it is the same thing.

is there anyway that i can call 855 numbers by using google voice, maybe thru anohter free number?

Stewart

I'm getting a busy signal calling that number (tried both Phonepower and Localphone, twice each).  I suspect that you don't get "early media" with GV, so you hear ringback tone instead.

If you have e.g. a Localphone account, you could dial via a calling card access number.  (Other calling cards would work, but the 1-855 call might not be free.)

Or, set up a speed dial for SP2(18558439303@sip.tollfreegateway.com) . (Test with a similar speed dial for another toll-free number, so you know it's working.  You need SP2 set up for SIP.
Or, set up a VGx for such a service.

preppystud

ah, i don't know what sp2, sip stand for.

i don't make 855 phone calls often, is there any simple ways to call those numbers?

Stewart

Quote from: preppystud on February 04, 2012, 06:43:15 PM
ah, i don't know what sp2, sip stand for.

i don't make 855 phone calls often, is there any simple ways to call those numbers?
If you don't call often, and it's a short call, just use your cell phone.

If you are having trouble with a specific number, please post it.  If it's the same as in your first post in this thread, I'm getting a busy signal, from services that I know work properly.

SIP is Session Initiation Protocol, which is used by most independent VoIP providers.  You may want a SIP account, to have 911 service, or to serve as a backup to GV.  If not, you can set up a fake one (search this forum for details), then use a speed dial as previously described.