News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

A Problem with incoming calls

Started by RudyG, February 01, 2012, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RudyG

Hello.

I have an Obi110 configured with Google Voice. And quite often when someone is calling me the phone will ring once and then no more.  ??? Speaking to people that this happened to, I'm told that they get a lady's voice on the phone telling them something or other. The call never gets identified through caller id.

I would dearly love to fix this issue what ever it might be, as it happens most often when my boss calls me. ::) And he gets very frustrated when that happens. >:(

Thanks to all in advance.
Rudy

Stewart

Is your GV account (Settings, Phones tab) set to forward to anything besides Google Chat?  If so, the other path may under some circumstances be taking your call, e.g. a cell phone that is not reachable.

If you log into the OBi and look at Call History, what is shown for the failing calls?

Quote from: RudyG on February 01, 2012, 10:37:01 PM
I'm told that they get a lady's voice on the phone telling them something or other.
Well, you might not want to hassle your boss about it, but surely one of the other callers can give you some useful details, unless it's in a language that they can't understand.

Quote from: RudyG on February 01, 2012, 10:37:01 PM
The call never gets identified through caller id.
If it gets disconnected before ~6 seconds, caller ID won't display on your phone, but you should see it on your GV History, and probably also in the OBi Call History.

RudyG

Quote from: Stewart on February 01, 2012, 10:57:58 PM
Is your GV account (Settings, Phones tab) set to forward to anything besides Google Chat?  If so, the other path may under some circumstances be taking your call, e.g. a cell phone that is not reachable.
I do indeed have a couple of old numbers in there that are no longer valid. I just tried to delete them both and leave only Google Chat in there but got an error message that at least one physical number must be there.
Quote from: Stewart on February 01, 2012, 10:57:58 PM
If it gets disconnected before ~6 seconds, caller ID won't display on your phone, but you should see it on your GV History, and probably also in the OBi Call History.
I definitely don't see it in my GV History as I checked several times. I have not yet checked the OBi Call History itself. But now that you made me aware of it I'll be sure to check.
Quote from: Stewart on February 01, 2012, 10:57:58 PMIf you log into the OBi and look at Call History, what is shown for the failing calls?
Here's what it shows for the failing inbound call:
Terminal ID   GoogleVoice1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number   1619XXXXXXX - (This has the actual number that called me)   
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
09:00:17   Ringing   
09:00:20   End Call   

Thanks Stewart.
Rudy

Stewart

Quote from: RudyG on February 02, 2012, 09:26:51 AMI do indeed have a couple of old numbers in there that are no longer valid. I just tried to delete them both and leave only Google Chat in there but got an error message that at least one physical number must be there.
You don't want to delete the numbers.  In GV Settings, on the Phones tab, there is a checkbox for each number.  Uncheck the ones you don't want.

If the above does not help, see if you can duplicate the problem, calling in from a mobile or other service you may have.  (If using a mobile associated with your GV account, you must turn off "Direct access to voicemail ..." in GV Advanced settings for that phone.)  If so, report details on what the caller hears.

RudyG

Thank you Stewart. I already asked my mom to write down what she hears. As soon as I know I will post it here.

Rudy