News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Short code for non trusted callers/not in circle of trust.

Started by Andrew1234, February 05, 2012, 08:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew1234

Hi,

I have my cell phone in my circle of trust. When I call my home/obi box number I get the obi attendant, I then push 1 or 2 to do what I need to do.

Is there anyway to do the above without having a number in the trusted caller list? For example if I were in a hotel. If I could do the above without the ringer ringing at home that would be great.

Thanks,

RonR

Designating numbers as trusted callers simply makes an InboundCallRoute rule in the OBi that routes those callers to the Auto Attendant.  The only option is to route designated callers (based on CallerID) or all callers to the Auto Attendant.

Stewart

Here are two ways for a call from a previously unknown number to reach the AA, while still having normal calls ring your home phone.

One method is to get another DID, setting the OBi to route all its calls to the AA.  In many countries, free DIDs are available, or you may be able to leverage existing SIPBroker, iNum, Localphone or Rebtel access numbers.

The other way is to call through a gateway that sends a caller ID known in advance, that the OBi could recognize and route to AA.  Depending on calling country, GV or Rebtel may be suitable.

With either of the above, it would be possible for a stranger to stumble upon your setup, so you would have to protect the AA with a PIN.  Unfortunately, you would need to use the PIN, even when calling from your cell phone, though you could program the cell phone contact entry to send it automatically.

If you provide some additional details, we may find a better way for you to call, possibly not involving the OBi.

What services are presently configured on your OBi?
What countries/cities will you be visiting?
What free calls, if any, are available from the hotel room phone (toll-free, local, national, etc.)?
How do incoming calls to your room work (DID, IVR with DTMF, must speak with operator)?
Does your cell phone work there?  Local SIM?  Free incoming calls?
Have Internet access?  Good enough to use VoIP?
What countries will you be calling?  How were you planning to route those destinations on your OBi?

jimates

You could set up another service on sp2, if you aren't using it. Then you can set your Obi to connect your cell number to the AA instead of ringing the phone port when you call the sp2 number. You can still call out using sp1 if you need to for caller id purposes.

Calling the sp1 number would remain the same. You should remove your number from the COT and set the individual inbound call routes for what I described.