News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

When setting up GV on OBI, should I use a new unused gmail account?

Started by BillS, February 09, 2012, 07:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillS

Wondering if there are any issues using my every day gmail account.  Would it be better to create a new gv account and use that?

Thanks

jeff_mdimension

Not necessary.

You do need to have a google voice number attached to the gmail account.  If the gmail account happens to be your primary email account, ie, you use it to send / receive email via browser interface, the obi-110 might miss  incoming calls as the box and gmail session compete with each other.

Rick

Quote from: BillS on February 09, 2012, 07:39:51 AM
Wondering if there are any issues using my every day gmail account.  Would it be better to create a new gv account and use that?

Thanks

I would recommend it.  Many of us use Google for a lot of things - calendar, email, Google AdWords, Google AdSense.  Since all of that is accessible via your account, and since you're providing your password to OBi, I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND setting up a new Google account for the OBi device.  Just common sense to me, not that I don't trust anyone, it's just limiting the risk.

BillS

jimates

Quote from: Rick on February 09, 2012, 07:52:59 AM
Quote from: BillS on February 09, 2012, 07:39:51 AM

Thanks

I would recommend it.  Many of us use Google for a lot of things - calendar, email, Google AdWords, Google AdSense.  Since all of that is accessible via your account, and since you're providing your password to OBi, I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND setting up a new Google account for the OBi device.  Just common sense to me, not that I don't trust anyone, it's just limiting the risk.
Obihai doesn't store the password on their servers. It is only stored in your Obi device.

Rick

Quote from: jimates on February 09, 2012, 10:33:25 PM
]Obihai doesn't store the password on their servers. It is only stored in your Obi device.

True, but they have the ability to access your OBi device.  Further, one has no idea if an OBi device might some day be hacked.  As such, giving your main Google account access to the OBi device has much potential risk, and little benefit.

Also, if you setup a new account, then you can setup access for multiple users in your family (to retrieve messages, etc.) online, whereas you don't want your family reading your emails, calendar, etc.