News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

no 7 digit dialing in area code

Started by nedjinski, February 09, 2012, 07:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedjinski

I am helping a friend to setup her Obi110 with GV.

It seems to be working okay except that all inbound callers need to dial 11 digits (1+ area code plus 7 digit number) to complete the call - even people within her area code.

It looks to be setup correctly in ObiTalk.

How can I fix this?

RonR

The OBi has no control over what other people have to dial on their telephones to reach your number.  If you actually meant you can't dial out using 7 digits to make local calls, make this change:

Voice Services -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

nedsobi110

this is for incoming calls -

in the obi setup you choose a 3 digit area code so that callers won't have to dial an 11 dgit number but this doesn't appear to be working.

there are no options in GV to choose an area code for 7 digit dialing.

so where does it get decided when you do / don't need a 10 digit number vs a 7 digit number.

my own setup works with a 7 digit number for local calls, so I'm trying to figure out why mmy friends setup is not working this way.

RonR

Quote from: nedsobi110 on February 09, 2012, 10:08:07 AM
this is for incoming calls -

You select a telephone number when you create a Google Voice account.  That's a regular telephone number.  It's local to some callers who can use 7 digits to reach it and it's long distance to others who have to dial 11 digits to reach it, just like every other telephone number.  The OBi can't change that.

RevKev

Quotein the obi setup you choose a 3 digit area code so that callers won't have to dial an 11 dgit number but this doesn't appear to be working.
No, you choose a 3 digit area code so you won't have to dial an 11 digit number for local calls (within your area code). The OBi can prepend the 3 digits to the 7 digits you dial. What callers have to dial is totally independent of the OBi and is based on the area code from which they are calling and to which they call.