News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Porting question

Started by BillS, February 09, 2012, 07:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillS

Should I request a GV number first and then do the port or can choose "I want to use my mobile number" (since I'm creating a new GV account) and it will give me option to port my number.  Once I port, I don't want to use cell phone again.

Didn't know if by choosing I want to use my mobile number is the same as porting the number over to GV.

Thanks

jimates

You will be porting your mobile number to GV. Once you have a GV number it costs $10 to change it. I don't know if that would b e included in the port fee or not.

If you want to have 2 phone numbers that ring your GV line you can get a number and then port your cell number. The old number will continue to ring the same line for 90 days. Before the 90 days is up you can buy that number for $3 and it will continue to ring your GV line along with the real GV number.

All outgoing calls will carry the caller id of your actual GV number.

BillS

Thanks but I guess I'm still trying to determine if I should have GV get a number a number for me right off the bat and then request to  port  my mobile number  over or if I should choose the option "I will use my my mobile phone" option.   Didn't know if it was really the same.  Still costing me $20 to port.

The end result is I want my mobile phone number as my GV number.  Don't care to have a second number.

Hoping outbound calls will show my ported GV number once we are all done.

Rick

Quote from: BillS on February 10, 2012, 05:37:26 AM
Thanks but I guess I'm still trying to determine if I should have GV get a number a number for me right off the bat and then request to  port  my mobile number  over or if I should choose the option "I will use my my mobile phone" option.   Didn't know if it was really the same.  Still costing me $20 to port.

The end result is I want my mobile phone number as my GV number.  Don't care to have a second number.

Hoping outbound calls will show my ported GV number once we are all done.

There is no reason to get a Google number first, and then port your mobile number.  Simply port the mobile number to begin with, and 24 hours later you should be all set. 

Just to make sure you understand, when you port your mobile number to GV, your mobile account is closed.  Your cell phone will no longer work except to dial 911 calls, as your provider will have shut the account. If you're in a long term contract, it will be terminated and you will be charged early termination fees, if any.

The most common porting of mobile numbers is for those that are dropping landlines.  Since GV can't port landlines, you have to setup a prepaid mobile account, port the landline to it, then port the mobile number (your landline number) to GV.  The end result is that your landline will now be your GV number.  This will result in both your landline account and your prepaid mobile account being closed.