News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[S]DynDNS.org is no longer free!!! Is there a free alterative?

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 09, 2012, 02:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hi:

I went DynDNS.org but it is no longer free - you get redirected to http://dyn.com/dns/ and it costs $29.95 per year.

Is there a free alternative?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 09, 2012, 03:33:53 PM
Try this : Free DynDNS.org

Hi Ron:

It sends me to the $29.00 per year site too!

I guess all good things must come to an end.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

infin8loop

http://dyn.com/dns/free-vs-vip/  implies there is still a free option.  Try creating an account and see if you cannot get at least one free hostname.  They have reduced the free options available.  If you do get a free hostname it has to to be updated at least once every 30 days and not much more unless your IP address has changed. 
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

lk96

try to see if you can register at: www.dlinkddns.com

I'm using a DIR-655 Dlink router at home and when I was going through the same
realization that dyndns.org is not that free anymore (unless you sign up for 30 days
trial account etc etc) I saw that the router was pointing me to the above web site for
getting a free dynamic DNS registration as one of the pre-programmed options.

What is more interesting though is the host name and info you register at the above
site are actually managed by dyndns.org. In fact, once you sign up at the
above site, you can use the same login credentials to login at dyndns.com and
then you'll see your host already setup at the dyndns.com site.

L.

lk96

Also, another one I had looked at was:

freedns.afraid.org

It seems free but I haven't worked through the setup. So don't know
if there are any "hidden" terms somewhere

L.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: lk96 on February 09, 2012, 07:49:10 PM
try to see if you can register at: www.dlinkddns.com

I'm using a DIR-655 Dlink router at home and when I was going through the same
realization that dyndns.org is not that free anymore (unless you sign up for 30 days
trial account etc etc) I saw that the router was pointing me to the above web site for
getting a free dynamic DNS registration as one of the pre-programmed options.

What is more interesting though is the host name and info you register at the above
site are actually managed by dyndns.org. In fact, once you sign up at the
above site, you can use the same login credentials to login at dyndns.com and
then you'll see your host already setup at the dyndns.com site.

L.

Hi L.

I don't know what they want me to enter.  :-[

I guess the hostname could something like: Home.

But what do they want me to enter in 'New IP Address' ??? Do I put in my OBi IP address? I tried this and get this error msg: Unknown API error: notavail.

Add Host
Hostname                    Home
Browser IP Address    75.16.152.203
New IP Address   

Thanks for any help,
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

lk96

Which free dns service are you trying to use for this? www.dlinkddns.com ?

host name is normally a mnemonic name that will uniquely identify your
public IP address (the address that the service provider "gives" to you either
statically or over DHCP).

In general it has to a be a unique name. So home.dyndns.org is almost certainly
taken or unavailable. You should choose something more unique like:

robertobi or possibly add some numbers after the name you chose to make it unique.

I believe that the new IP address only needs to be filled when your "browser" address
is not the detected public address. It seems to me that the IP address you show in your response
is a public address so most likely you can ignore the new IP field.

Also note that unless your service provider assigns you a static IP address, you should setup
some dynamic DNS client behind or on your firewall. This is needed because the service provider
may change your IP address without warning. Some routers/firewall boxes support
dynamic DNS clients within them so you don't need torun it on a separate PC.

L.

Robert.Thompson

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

lhm.

lk96

I believe that a DNS client on the user end takes care of the "refresh".
I don't think that you need to go and manually log in into some site every few days.

BTW, in my case I point directly to dyndns.org server given that
as I mentioned dlinkddns.com is really "managed" on the back end by dyndns.

L.

techbytes

Felix

BTW, dyndns is $20, not $30... and occasionally they have some promotion 10-20 per cent down (there was one over Valentine's Day, I am sure there will be more).

infin8loop

According to this post http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/21580/from-dyn-what-happened-to-free-accounts.html you can still get one free host name at dyndns.  Read the details.  It's now a PITA but apparently still possible.  I was able to activate one free host name on my old dyndns account without going through the free trial period. New users will have to set up a free trial and cancel it before 30 days and then be left with the option to have one free host name.

A recent Tekzilla episode segment, http://revision3.com/tekzilla/free-dynamic-dns covers some free dynamic dns services.  See show notes and actual episode content.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

VulcanTourist

Quote from: lk96 on February 10, 2012, 06:34:50 AM
Also, another one I had looked at was:

freedns.afraid.org

It seems free but I haven't worked through the setup. So don't know
if there are any "hidden" terms somewhere

Nope, no hidden terms... it really is free.  I've used it for years, and even donate sub-domains off of my primary for other people to use (and I donate MX records etc. for Project Honeypot).

fibercarbon

just curious what is this dynamic dns needed for?? im using high speed comcast cable internet

VulcanTourist

It's needed if, for instance, you need or want to self-host a domain with some server on your own home equipment.  If you broadcast your Domain Name to the world and they come calling after your IP address DHCP lease from your ISP has expired, the Domain Name Servers of the world will tell their browsers to visit your former IP address that now belongs to one of your neighbors at the moment... and you just lost a visitor!  People traffic in domain names, and browsers traffic in IP addresses... and Domain Name Servers are the translators.

A dynamic IP address is whatcha get when you don't pay your ISP through the nose for the privilege of having a static one that never changes.  A dynamic DNS service is whatcha use to work around that, by using an "agent" on your PC/router to constantly report your IP address to the Domain Name Servers of the world, so that your catchy domain name always points to where your computer actually is in cyberspace at any moment.

Better?

Portporty

Try Dynu at www.dynu.com. I had to change into dynu after dyndns started charging. Dynu seems to be reliable. I have been using for several months, its smooth~