News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100, Can someone please give a thorough set-up for incoming calls?

Started by caroline214, February 14, 2012, 11:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caroline214

I have browsed through most of the community trying to look for the answers I am needing to set up this device for incoming calls but I have yet to find a solution that I actually understand. I have my device already configured to Google Voice with Google Chat selected and I **am** able to make phone calls, just can NOT receive. I have my Obi100 connected to a Linksys WRT54G2 router so I am not sure if I need to change something in my router's config or what. I do not have an active land line phone so all help will be deeply appreciated.

Stewart

In GV Settings, Phones tab, confirm that the box for Google chat is checked.

When someone calls your GV number (from a phone not associated with your GV account), what do they hear?  Do other phones associated with your GV account ring?  What, if anything, appears in the OBi's Call History?

RonR

What happens when a call is placed to your Google Voice number?

Does the call go to voicemail?

Does the telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port ring?

Does the call show up in the Google Voice Call History?

Does the call show up in the OBi Call History?

caroline214

When a call is placed to my GV number, the caller hears a few rings before it goes to the voicemail message. I the receiver do not have any indication or ring what so ever to even answer a call for the phone connected to the obi phone port. The calls do show in my history both sent and received calls in my GV Call History and I'm honestly not sure how to check the Obi Call History to see calls placed.

RonR

Do you have the Google Chat forwarding phone in Google Voice enabled as shown in the attachment?

The OBi Call History is accessible by logging into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1.

caroline214

Yes, the google chat is enabled to forward calls to google voice. And no, I only see outbound calls in my Obi call history.

RonR

When you log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1, does the Main Status screen show:

Status -> System Status -> SP1 Service Status -> Status : Connected

RonR

Try temporarily bypassing your router.  Connect the OBi directly to your broadband modem.  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct connection.  First verify that you can reach the echo test at **9 222 222 222.  Then make a call to your Google Voice number from a phone not connected to your OBi or associated with your Google Voice account in any way and see if you receive that call on the OBi.

dwestall

Also, if you have a smartphone or tablet, make sure you're not running some competing app like Grove IP (Android) or Talkatone (iPhone) with your same GV account that would prevent incoming calls from routing to your Obi.

caroline214

Ok, I do not own a smart phone or tablet that could be interfering with this. I did try bypassing the router and performed the echo test successfully. However, I got the same result when I used another phone to call my google voice number and did not get a ring.

Stewart

Make sure that  Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening is set.  This should not directly affect incoming calls, but may prevent the caller from hearing what is really happening, e.g. call going to OBi auto attendant or other misrouting.

caroline214

X_SkipCallScreening is set. I'm still not sure why the calls are not being connected to my obi, though. It's ringing from the caller's end so it's gotta be going somewhere, just not to my obi phone. ???

RonR

1. Make sure you don't have a browser or any other application accessing any Google account of any sort.

2. If you have more than one Google Voice account, make sure the credentials you have in the OBi are for the one whose telephone number you are calling.

caroline214

I am completely signed out from all Google accounts and services and I only have one Google Voice account so I think I may be at a loss here....

RonR

When you are logged into your Gmail account, are incoming Google Voice calls received there as expected?

caroline214

No, when i am logged into gmail I do not get any notifications for any incoming GV calls either.

RonR

Quote from: caroline214 on February 14, 2012, 04:57:55 PM
No, when i am logged into gmail I do not get any notifications for any incoming GV calls either.

That would seem to indicate the problem is with Google Voice and not the OBi.

Lateralg

Where can I set the number of incoming rings that triggers sending the call to GV voicemail?

Reason: Telephone answering machine doesn't record incoming messages since I set it to 4-rings trigger.  Now all missed calls go to GV which isn't as convenient as a flashing & beeping answering machine.

When answering machine was set at 2 rings, it "picked up" & recorded message.
Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

RonR

Quote from: Lateralg on March 15, 2012, 10:05:59 AM
Where can I set the number of incoming rings that triggers sending the call to GV voicemail?

You can't.  Google Voice answers after 25 seconds and cannot be changed or disabled.