News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[S]Working with 2 OBi's but 1 VoIP.ms account, some questions...

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 16, 2012, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:
I have 2 OBi's: Montreal & Florida.

I have only 1 VoIP.ms account that has a Montreal DID & a Florida DID.

I want calls to the Florida DID to go to OBiF.

I want calls to the Montreal DID to go to OBiM.

Is this possible? If so, how do I set thing up?

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Stewart

Set up a Sub Account and register one OBi to it.  http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Sub_Accounts .

Change the Routing for the corresponding DID to ring that Sub Account.

Depending on your application, you may want to set the Sub Account to send "its" caller ID on outbound calls.

You might want to use two Sub Accounts, one for each OBi, not registering to the main account at all.  That way, each OBi will have an extension number and you can easily call one from the other.

RonR

Assuming each OBi has SP2 configured for SIP...

Route your Montreal DID to OBIM using a SIP URI of:

OBIM@IP_address_or_hostname_of_OBIM:5061

Route your Florida DID to OBIF using a SIP URI of:

OBIF@IP_address_or_hostname_of_OBIF:5061

You will need to forward ports 5060 - 5061 in the routers feeding each OBi to the OBi's LAN IP address.

If the public IP address of the OBi's is dynamic, you will need to set up a DDNS hostname to use with the SIP URI.

It appears sub-accounts are a much better approach than using plain SIP URI forwarding.

DaveSin

Under the VOIP.ms Portal, create one (or two) sub-accounts.  Assume you use the main account credentials (105xxx - Montreal) and a Sub-account (105xxx_101F), you would enter the information under SPx on the OBiM for the main account and the sub-account credentials for OBiF, making sure you use the same Server (e.g., chicago.voip.ms) for both the OBis and the VOIP.ms Portal accounts.  Under Manage DID, for Montreal DID and Florida DID, select the "SIP/IAX" router for each, i.e., Montreal DID would be assigned to the main account ( 105xxx) and the Florida would be routed to the Sub-account (105xxx_101F), with the DID POP being the same for both (e.g., chicago.voip.ms).  You should setup different extensions for each so that you can call between extensions and also have separate voice mail for each account if so desired.

Edit: While I was typing my response, Steward and RonR was responding as well.  I just check and Stewart is correct that it is best that you create two sub-accounts if you want to use two separate extension nummbers.  I had three separate Sub-Accounts at first, so I did not check this.  If I remember correctly, using a sub-account with e911 sends a weird number to the e911 call center when I test e911, so I reverted one of my sub-accounts back to the main account to avoid that (in the US) issue on the main e911 location.  You might want to check this before committing to one approach or the other.

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 16, 2012, 02:13:20 PM
Hello:
I have 2 OBi's: Montreal & Florida.

I have only 1 VoIP.ms account that has a Montreal DID & a Florida DID.

I want calls to the Florida DID to go to OBiF.

I want calls to the Montreal DID to go to OBiM.

Is this possible? If so, how do I set thing up?

Thanks,

Rob.

Stewart

Quote from: DaveSin on February 16, 2012, 02:43:54 PMIf I remember correctly, using a sub-account with e911 sends a weird number to the e911 call center when I test e911, so I reverted one of my sub-accounts back to the main account to avoid that (in the US) issue on the main e911 location.  You might want to check this before committing to one approach or the other.
The weird number is usually a good thing -- If you accidentally hang up or get disconnected, a callback from the 911 dispatcher will ring the sub-account.  This is exactly what is wanted if e.g. the sub-accounts are extensions in the same office.

However, I don't know whether there is any way to configure a different physical address for a sub-account; if you are unable to speak, the dispatch will likely go to the wrong address.  Even if there is a way to do this, you should be sure that 911 calls will be routed to a PSAP in the right country!

A more conservative approach would be to route 911 to local POTS, if available.  Or, get a Callcentric or Anveo account for 911 at the Florida location; it can also serve as a backup for normal outgoing calls.

Robert.Thompson

Many thanks to all! :)

I have setup a sub-account and will 'TeamViewer' myself into the Florida OBi tomorrow morning and give it a try.

Edit: Works just fine! :)

Thanks to all for your help.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com