News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 hangs after accessing the web mgmt interface (bug ?)

Started by lk96, February 20, 2012, 06:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lk96

I upgraded to the latest firmware release 1.3.0 (Build: 2675) couple days ago.

Twice so far I noticed that around the time I'm accessing the embedded web mgmt interface
(not through Obitalk), the device kind of hangs in a weird semi zombie state:
I do get a dial tone. But the web management interface is not accessible any more.
Trying to initiate a call back through an IPKall number fails as well (Obi doesn't respond).
Only way to recover the Obi is through power cycle.

Has anyone else seen such instability?
Feels like buggy behavior to me.

I don't know if it's a mere coincidence but I didn't notice my Obi110 to get in the same state
(at least not yet).

L.

Stewart

This happened to me once (on build 2586), after saving changes and attempting a reboot.  The device was remote and remained inaccessible, until a friend went in and cycled power.  I've seen some credible posts that suggest a DHCP-related bug.  Did your device fail after a save?  Is it set up with a static IP?  If yes and no, respectively, you might see whether setting static IP makes it more stable.

lk96

In my case the device failed while I was doing a routine review of the call history.
No modifications, no saving, no loading of any saved configuration, no
changes to the port/web access account, no reboot.

I currently don't use static IP: I have it configured with DHCP. But I have my router
return the same IP address to the Obi (MAC-based assignment).But I guess if the
issue is with DHCP, this latter detail doesn't really matter.

I did see couple references about issues with DHCP but it didn't seem obvious to me
what the source of problems.

Are you (or others) say that with static IP assignment, nobody experienced re-occurrence
of this kind of failure? I can give it a try and see if things turn a bit more stable.

L.

Stewart

Quote from: lk96 on February 21, 2012, 07:00:43 AM
Are you (or others) say that with static IP assignment, nobody experienced re-occurrence
of this kind of failure? I can give it a try and see if things turn a bit more stable.
Sorry, I don't know.  I have not set up a static IP on my unit, fearing loss of control if I made a mistake.  However, I'll probably do that once I get on site.

Since the power cycle, 66 days ago per OBi's System Status, I haven't had any trouble.  I've examined the config and status many times, perhaps 100 page views, but have not saved any changes.  We may be experiencing different bugs, or the window for messing up may simply be very small.

lk96

I just switched my Obi100 to static IP. I'm leaving the Obi110 to DHCP or now
since that one didn't give me any grief yet. Lets see how it performs. I'll report
back after a while on how things worked with static.

thanks for the tip.

L.

lk96

I thought I'd report my observations on this before closing the topic:

This topic had to do with one of my two Obi device being inaccessible/hanging
after trying to access it remotely over the web interface (not Obitalk).
Both Obi devices were configured with DHCP. One Obi is 100 and the other one is 110.
I also observed that even when the Obi devices remained functional, remote admin access
to the Obi device web page was less than reliable.

At the suggestion of Stewart I configured the Obi100 with static IP address within my home network.
A couple days later I also converted my Obi110 to use static as well.

Good news is that since the above change I didn't experience neither a hangup of the device
nor loss of ability to access the devices' web interface.

While there is no way to be 100% that this change really fixed anything, neither there is a way
to know whether other devices on my network (ie router) were screwing something up, there has
been for sure significant improvement in the availability and accessibility of the Obis. As such
I decided to leave the Obi devices configured with static IP.

L.