News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What are the conf call limitations, if any? (number of callers in a conf)

Started by hgeorges, February 06, 2013, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgeorges

Hello;
I am trying to understand a few problems I experience lately:
1.- I cannot be heard from time to time, on an active call
2.- I cannot bring more than 3 people on a conf call (I want to make a 4-way call)
I use Voip.ms as the service provider.
I have the reference of a stable service - w/o any issues over the last 6 months, up to some time in January. I know that the internet service (Teksavvy/Rogers cable) is having problems, and I'm taking those with them, separately.

Re (1) - I tend to think it is all internet related, but when I did voip tests this morning (Toronto, CA), I got a 4.2 score (which is very good). One hour later I had a brief call, and on both ends the sound disappeared several times, for a few seconds. After the call I've done the speedtests (Teksavvy) and everything seemed normal (good upload and download speeds)

Re (2): I think that at some point in the past I was able to conference more than 3 people on a conf call. In the last couple of weeks I tried a couple of times to get that working again, and I wasn't able to. After I've had the 1st call established, I could add a 3rd person. But when I pressed again "link" on my phone, I did not get a dial tone anymore, to add a 4th one. Is this a limitation of OBi110, or some other issue?

Please comment, advise, etc. Much appreciated your input.
HG

carl

You may want to dicuss it with voip.ms tech support. If your account does not have enough channels you will not be able to make a 4 way call.

ianobi

Re 2:

The most the OBi can do is a 3-way conference call. This is because the Phone Port can only handle two sessions (calls) at one time, so the two calls and the Phone Port make up the three-way conference call.

carl

Thanks ianobi. I just wanted to make a 4 way call and this saves me bothering Callcentric's tech support. Is this generally the case with ATA's and IP phones?  A very serious flaw.  :'(

ianobi

I don't know about other ATAs and IP phones, maybe someone else will comment.

The odd thing about the OBi as a device is that it can handle at least 4 sessions. Imagine the 3-way conference call going on with the Phone Port - that's two sessions in use. At the same time a call can come in from another trunk to the auto attendant, which then allows that call to bridge to yet another trunk. That's four sessions in use at the same time and it does all work.

The limitation here does seem to be the Phone Port, which can only handle 2 sessions.

QBZappy

Here is something on the topic I have discussed in the past. The use of a softphone could overcome the phone port limitation. The softphone could be connected to the OBi or directly to sip voice services. Using the OBi202 plus the GV offering of 2 voice channels per number we could easily have 4 way conferences. I'm not certain if a second call on the same GV trunk can be forwarded or conferenced into the other call, otherwise 8 way call might be possible. Imagine that! If the OBi could be integrated with  Google+ hangout then we could accommodate a 10 way conference. This should be a feature request I think.  :)

Quote from: QBZappy on March 13, 2011, 07:09:51 PM
If you wanted a fully automated way of using the OBi I could think of the following method. I tried it so I know it works.

What you need:
A softphone where you can configure at least 2 sip accounts and with an auto answer feature (Many have this feature). Jitsi, 3CX have free softphones with these features. Eyebeam is a commercial version.

What you need to do:
Set the auto answer feature on. Arrange with your calling parties to call a prearranged extension number after they hit the IVR. Same concept as a conference room. This works particularly well on an PBX with extensions. Without a PBX it should work as well, however there is always the risk someone will call at an awkward time and be conferenced into the call as there is no extension number to press, everyone automatically gets conferenced in. You could perhaps use a "secret" GV Tel number to avoid accidental drop ins. A softphone with the OBiAPP could create this feature using this strategy.

Hope this helps.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

carl

QB, that would be a great feature indeed, do you want to make such a request? ;)
I could not get the softphone ( as a matter of fact, any softphone) working short of putting my computer into DMZ which I obviously will not do.The u-verse gateway is very uncooperative.