News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what is "device registration" and how is it accomplished?

Started by Name, February 23, 2012, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Name

Stewart

Try setting:

X_KeepAliveEnable: (checked)
X_KeepAliveExpires: 30
X_KeepAliveServer: 208.64.8.6
X_KeepAliveMessageType: empty

I don't guarantee that this will work, because the PP server is quite fussy and may complain about the keep-alive packets!  If if doesn't, the next step is finding out why the Draytek is changing the port numbers.  Do you have another router you can try?

Name

Quote from: Stewart on February 25, 2012, 12:13:55 PM
Try setting:

X_KeepAliveEnable: (checked)
X_KeepAliveExpires: 30
X_KeepAliveServer: 208.64.8.6
X_KeepAliveMessageType: empty

I don't guarantee that this will work, because the PP server is quite fussy and may complain about the keep-alive packets!  If if doesn't, the next step is finding out why the Draytek is changing the port numbers.  Do you have another router you can try?

Thanks, I made the changes but I would have to wait as I am locked out by Phone Power. Wait time: 1 hour.
I do have a smaller, simpler router/modem combination. I'll try this later on and see what happens.

I use different DNSs in my modem than the ones from the ISP. Does this make any difference?
I have a SN Margin (dB)    28.0    21.0 on my modem. But I also had -21 26 a couple of hours ago.

Stewart

If the modem/router works ok, you could connect both the OBi and the Draytek WAN port to it.  Then, your computers and other devices would still have the better firewall and wireless capabilities of the Draytek.

Your noise margins are excellent, but occasionally go negative?  I assume that you lose sync when that happens?  To me, that sounds like a bad splice, cable water ingress, etc.  Do you also have POTS voice service on that line?  Can you hear any noise when the trouble occurs?  Is an inside wiring problem likely?

Name

Quote from: Stewart on February 25, 2012, 12:55:24 PM
If the modem/router works ok, you could connect both the OBi and the Draytek WAN port to it.  Then, your computers and other devices would still have the better firewall and wireless capabilities of the Draytek.

Your noise margins are excellent, but occasionally go negative?  I assume that you lose sync when that happens?  To me, that sounds like a bad splice, cable water ingress, etc.  Do you also have POTS voice service on that line?  Can you hear any noise when the trouble occurs?  Is an inside wiring problem likely?

I sorted out the router issue, all ports go on 12060 (syslog). Registration on phone power seems still not to be working. ISP sent a team out a while ago (6 mths) to check wires before installing service. No noises. I'm gonna buy a new DSL modem. I have CAT 6 RJ45 cables, professional grade between networking devices, and professional RJ11 cabling (shielded) inside to avoid interference.

Do you have any recommendations? I would need one to allow MAC cloning, setting of DNS servers, and to support ADSL 2+.

Stewart

Quote from: Name on February 25, 2012, 03:09:37 PMI sorted out the router issue, all ports go on 12060 (syslog).
Please explain what you changed and what result you observed.  In particular, are you now seeing "received=yourpublicIPaddress" and "rport=12060" in incoming Via headers?  Does phonepower work with the alternate router?  What is make/model of the alternate device?

Do you have an ATA supplied by Phonepower?  If so, does it work properly with the Draytek, when OBi is disconnected? Does the OBi work properly, when the other ATA is not connected?

What do the stats in the modem show regarding sync loss?  If it occurs frequently, there is a problem with your line (or, less likely, with your modem or the DSLAM port at the central office).  If you are not losing sync, it's nearly certain that the problem is unrelated to the modem.

Quote from: Name on February 25, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
Do you have any recommendations? I would need one to allow MAC cloning, setting of DNS servers, and to support ADSL 2+.
I don't understand what you are asking.  If you buy a combination modem/router (which I normally would not recommend), then MAC cloning is not a meaningful option; most such devices do not have an Ethernet WAN port at all.  If you buy a separate router (and possibly a new modem, too), then ADSL 2+ support is a modem feature; the router should work with any form of DSL, cable, fiber, etc.

Name

I used the same router, but I MAC cloned another Netopia 2210 modem (gift from previous att love) with previous modem's. I never buy/use modem router combos. Modem is in bridge mode but also works on PPPoA/E protocol, less stable, prolly unsupported. Adjusted VPI/VCI to achieve the best service.
I reset router to original configuration (from a backup) and opened required ports in router NAT (12060, I suspect it should also work with 5060). Monitored on syslog the registration of OBI110: all ports reported the same. I had to adjust keepalive as now phone power complained about registering the same device more than once within the hour.
Connection is made stable and on a forced static IP, I recycled both OBI and modem, no negative effects on power phone.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. God bless!