News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Q: How much bandwidth does the Obi110 use during calls /On Standby?

Started by WeAreNotAlone, February 26, 2012, 10:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeAreNotAlone

Hello all, New to VOIP.
Currently on a 6m down/512 up dsl connection.

Q: How much download "*bandwidth" does the Obi110 use:

A: During calls?
B: While in standby mode?

Q: As a rule- when in use how much of a 100mbps network will a OBi 110 use?

I ask because I'm very interested in migrating to VOIP from POTs and doing away with POTS via a Obi110, but I was reading up on a (OLD-2004) D-Link DVG-1120M/US V.A2 VOIP gateway device in which the reviewer was stating while in "standby mode" DSL/Cable speed dropped by 10% and while in use dropped by 90%.????

I'm going to assume VOIP has advanced from the time the (2004) D-Link DVG-1120M/US V.A2 was reviewed? -90% drop?

http://bigbruin.com/reviews05/dlinkvoip_3

lk96

Assuming G711 codec, 20ms packetization and no silence detection
the amount of bandwidth needed for simplex stream is in the order of 100kbps (a bit less actually).
In reality, in a typical calls there can be on the average about 60+% of silence (or more): for example,
when the other person talks, you normally don't talk. And also even when you talk, you don't
talk 100% of the time. So if silence is taken into account, the bandwidth for a simplex stream can
be even lower by quite a bit. So even though 100Kbps is an overestimate you can probably use
it as a nearly worst case guideline.

Other codecs supported by Obi should be using even lower bandwidth.

Not sure why the report you point to shows such an impact. But I'm guessing that something
else is causing it and not actual bandwidth usage of the voip stream.

L.

WeAreNotAlone

Quote from: lk96 on February 27, 2012, 12:58:54 PM
Assuming G711 codec, 20ms packetization and no silence detection
the amount of bandwidth needed for simplex stream is in the order of 100kbps (a bit less actually).
In reality, in a typical calls there can be on the average about 60+% of silence (or more): for example,
when the other person talks, you normally don't talk. And also even when you talk, you don't
talk 100% of the time. So if silence is taken into account, the bandwidth for a simplex stream can
be even lower by quite a bit. So even though 100Kbps is an overestimate you can probably use
it as a nearly worst case guideline.

Other codecs supported by Obi should be using even lower bandwidth.

Not sure why the report you point to shows such an impact. But I'm guessing that something
else is causing it and not actual bandwidth usage of the voip stream.

L.

RE: The report /review of a old 2004 D-Link DVG-1120M/US V.A2 VOIP gateway device showing 10% drop while on standby /90% while in use on a 6m down DSL connection.

Thanks for the info on the OBi 110 network usage - 100kbps sounds reasonable.

(Reason I mentioned the D-Link was I have one from a thrift store I picked up a while back and was Googling for info on it- Seeing that review had me worried. Figured it was a case of the device being so old /whatever network /provider it was tied to, the device being configured incorrectly, or the device being defective in some way being the cause of such a HUGE hit on bandwidth usage. I was having a hard time wrapping around my head it using so much bandwidth for a digital audio stream in which as you point out during normal conversation there are lulls in the conversation.)

Felix

Hi, @WeAreNotAlone, Experienced in VoIP

VoIP adapters didn't take 6 Mbps even in 2004. So, I would use some more reputable sources for review (try DSLReports and Voxilla).

And while ATAs send occasional registration calls, bandwidth during standby is about the same as your IM client. And it was the same in 2004, by the way 600Kbps tells more about the writer than about the reality...