News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Warranty questions

Started by WeAreNotAlone, February 28, 2012, 09:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeAreNotAlone

Have a couple of questions- and a comment on some conflicting info /suggestion for Obi Inc on their webpages on the OBi 110:

I will probably be purchasing direct from Amazon LLC due to them issuing a pre-paid RMA label for defective product.
(On defective product - In my mind on defective product the vendor/seller/manufacturer should bear the cost of issuing a prepaid RMA shipping label.)

Q: Read a post just a few minutes ago saying unless you purchase directly from Obihai - You won't get support and you will get the run-around /denial on a warranty claim.
Is this true? (I would think not- Especially if purchasing from Amazon LLC.)

Quote from OBi 110 Amazon product page:
http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI
"Product Description
Support (technical or warranty) will be provided by the seller from whom you obtain the product."

Wording suggests if purchasing thru Amazon LLC, Obihai washes their hands of you?

Q:  If I was to purchase thru Obihai and the product was fulfilled by Amazon AND/ OR if I was to purchase thru Obihai direct if the product proves to be defective- would Obihai issue a pre-paid RMA label?.... Or does the customer pay to ship back defective product that has slipped by Obihai quality control?

A: Within 30-days.
B: 30 days to 1year.

Conflicting info /info that needs to be corrected:
http://obihai.com/how-to-get.html
ObihaiBrochure.pdf
OBi110DS.pdf states 1-year hardware warranty

OBi110QSG.pdf - (Quick Start /Owners manual) states 90-day hardware warranty
CRC32: 59729854
MD5: B714E5B2326BCC3A24FA07304356D515
SHA-1: 3D96722C10556796C9C33BEBE92A3B7DF5DF533B

Suggestion for Obihai website

Add wording on http://obihai.com/product-primer.html, http://obihai.com/what-is.html , etc  about units having a 1-year warranty...

Put wording that in effect that says: "You're covered, don't worry we'll take care of you.. we make good stuff with a extremely low reject rate and we stand behind it 110%.

Note: Seeing a 90-day warranty (OBi110QSG.pdf) on a device does not inspire confidence. Warranty is not the end all, but length /terms of warranty imply how durable unit will be in long run.
EG: 90-day vs 1-year... Customer having to pay return shipping on defective product, VS company when they are contacted issues a pre-paid RMA shipping label and replaces the defective item right away.

MurrayB

I bought two Obi 110 from Amazon. One was OK the other was sick. I went to my account on Amazon and printed the prepaid RMA returned the sick Obi and got a new one. I try to purchase everything I can from Amazon due to their liberal return policies.

Good luck with your Obi adventure it is worth the effort plenty of help here on the forum.

WeAreNotAlone

Quote from: MurrayB on February 29, 2012, 05:01:37 AM
I bought two Obi 110 from Amazon. One was OK the other was sick. I went to my account on Amazon and printed the prepaid RMA returned the sick Obi and got a new one.
~snip~

Yep, Amazon issues a pre-paid shipping label for defective items.

My primary concern is:

A: Getting the run around from Obihai Inc after 30-days if not purchasing DIRECTLY from them.
B: If Obihai Inc believes enough their product to issue a pre-paid RMA shipping label if the unit needs warranty repair.

Product Description
Support (technical or warranty) will be provided by the seller from whom you obtain the product.

Above wording (And a post I read somewhere) suggests unless the "seller" is Obihai Inc they will not honor the warranty /provide tech support.

Surely this is a oversight -I can't imagine a company not honoring warranty /support claims for items being sold by Amazon LLC.

This issue aside...Does Obihai Inc have enough confidence to issue a pre-paid shipping label if product requires warranty service?

Felix

I realize that the willingness of the vendor to pay for return shipment might be a deal breaker, and I respect that. However, you didn't indicate whether you need a VoIP adapter in the first place. If you do - did you look at others (PAP2, Grandstream, etc). Do they specify who pays shipping in case of RMA?

Did you compare the costs and functionality otherwise? For example, if brand X costs $10 than competition, but you run the risk of paying RMA shipment costs ($3-5), you are still better off with brand X. Otherwise, you will keep dwelling on marginal issues (the cost of RMA shipment) or on 7-yoear old bizarre reviews from some weird website.

Come back to Earth and use real life comparison criteria!

By the way, as far as I know, none of the vendors (Obihai, Cisco, Grandstream) sell directly to consumers.

WeAreNotAlone

Quote from: Felix on February 29, 2012, 08:27:33 PM
I realize that the willingness of the vendor to pay for return shipment might be a deal breaker, and I respect that. However, you didn't indicate whether you need a VoIP adapter in the first place.

I am looking to ditch my landline - As I mentioned in the other thread you reference below.

If you do - did you look at others (PAP2, Grandstream, etc). Do they specify who pays shipping in case of RMA?

I have not in-depth as reviews on Amazon seem favorable for OBi 110, (From what I've read the OBi 110 has more options, is more easily configurable, than the Linksys PAP2).

Another factor is I'm for giving the little guy , new guy on the block my business instead of the business who has grown so huge- they could care less if you're satisfied. (EG: Linkys/Cisco)

(Another consideration in OBi's favor is they specialize in (1) product range (right?)

Q: The below wording on Amazon product page implies unless you purchased directly from (click the Ohihai Technology seller link/button) Ohihai Technology will not provide technical support or warranty for the item. Can you disprove otherwise?

Product Description
Support (technical or warranty) will be provided by the seller from whom you obtain the product.

2: How is Ohihai in regards to warranty issues? Do they give people the run-around like Linksys /Cisco does?
How much time is required to effect a RMA? (Linksys RMA's run about 2-3 hours- You have to fight each step of the way with those guys.)

What is the turnaround on a RMA?

QuoteDid you compare the costs and functionality otherwise? For example, if brand X costs $10 than competition, but you run the risk of paying RMA shipment costs ($3-5), you are still better off with brand X. Otherwise, you will keep dwelling on marginal issues (the cost of RMA shipment) or on 7-yoear old bizarre reviews from some weird website. Come back to Earth and use real life comparison criteria!

I am well aware of cost comparisons, Concerned about a post (I read somewhere) in which the poster was evidently having a problem getting
Obihai to honor a warranty service- and the above wording on the Amazon product page for the OBi 110.

On the "marginal issue of the cost or a RMA shipment", Who should pay for items that slip past quality control (or from a design perspective are flawed)?   Who should pay for product that is released with buggy firmware/hardware? The customer or the manufacturer?

Current mindset of most manufacturers is "push it out the door, No matter the firmware (or hardware) is buggy...

(EG: Lets get it to market before xyz competitor does, we have to release it by a certain date (EG: Christmas, back to school sales, etc)

If those same manufacturers by some type of law had to issue a pre-paid RMA label- it would cut down on alot of el-crap-ola on the market as the mindset would be BEFORE release we need to get this "right" before it hits the market.  It would also motivate manufacturers to update fixes , update firmware in a more timely manner.   (Some manufacturers never (or are very slow to) fix problems- it's the old lets throw some mud on the wall and see how much sticks- We don't care about the mud that falls off (customers having problems)... on those customers having problems we try to discourage any warranty claims as much as possible.

*Regarding the cost of issuing a pre-paid RMA affecting overall cost- Yes it does affect the bottom-line- then again you gain increased sales.  

(Q: You mention RMA shipping cost to be only $3-5. How are you shipping that is A: Insured, and B: Offers tracking that only costs $3-5?

I can see the cost of a RMA shipment being around that for the MANUFACTURER to issue a pre-paid RMA label.)

QuoteBy the way, as far as I know, none of the vendors (Obihai, Cisco, Grandstream) sell directly to consumers.

Q: You say Obihai does not sell directly to consumers?

Amazon webpage lists Ohihai Technology, Inc as one of the sellers.
(Play on words about the word "directly", but I bet the receipt would show the seller being Obihai Technology, Inc.)

http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI
Sold by Obihai Technology, Inc.
Fulfilled by Amazon