News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi and GV Outside the USA

Started by 4myphones, March 07, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Quote from: nontechnie on August 18, 2011, 10:21:55 PM
But do I have to connect a Real phone to the Obi? Can I not tell my Obi to forward all calls to my cell phone?

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to connect a telephone to the OBi in addition to using the OBi with your cell phone.  It would allow you to make and receive calls when you're at home without using your cell phone.  It would also make configuration, testing, and debugging infinitely easier.

I've read also of people configuring their family's cell phones so they can take their phones overseas and yet to able to call to the US free. How do I configure my relatives' cell phones (they are Canadian cell phones though) so they can  call my Obi and then have my Obi forward all calls to my cell?

There are OBiON Apps that can be run on Smart Phones which, with data capability on the Smart Phone service, will allow calls between Smart Phones and to/from OBi's from anywhere without using carrier voice minutes.  Non-Smart Phone mobile phones can only access the OBi by calling into a trunk on the OBi (Google Voice, VoIP, or a POTS line) at normal calling rates.

If these scenarios described above could be done, please tell me the steps I need to do to accomplish this.

After configuring Google Voice on SP1 of your OBi, the following change will allow you to call your Google Voice number from your cell phone and reach the Auto Attendant where you can place an outgoing Google Voice call.  All other incoming calls to your Google Voice number will ring your cell phone and any telephone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port.  The first one to answer gets the call.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {(1?7145550001):aa},{ph,sp1(17145550001)}

where 7145550001 is your cell phone number.

When you call your Google Voice number from your cell phone, the OBi's Auto Attendant will answer and present you with 3 options:  Press 1 to continue this call; Press 2 to make a new call; Press 3 to enter a callback number.

Pressing 1 will ring any telephone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port.

Pressing 2 will allow you to enter a phone number to call (be forwarded to).

Pressing 3 will allow you to enter a phone number to have the Auto Attendant call back to.

nontechnie

Thank you very much Ron. When the Obi comes, I will try to play with it and if I have more questions, I'll post here.

QBZappy

nontechnie,

But do I have to connect a Real phone to the Obi? Can I not tell my Obi to forward all calls to my cell phone?

Not required if you don't need it. Sounds like you have unlimited incoming airtime. All calls can indeed be forwarded to your cell phone.

I've read also of people configuring their family's cell phones so they can take their phones overseas and yet to able to call to the US free. How do I configure my relatives' cell phones (they are Canadian cell phones though) so they can  call my Obi and then have my Obi forward all calls to my cell?

Calling from a cell phone->your OBi (long distance call), implies that the call between the cell phone and your OBi is free. It is unlikely that your relatives have free international calls on their cell phones otherwise they could be calling you directly.

They will need an OBi in their telephone area code plus either an unlimited incoming or outgoing minutes for the call to be free. If their cell plan is unlimited outgoing they can simply call the OBi and dial any number over a previously setup GV acct using the Auto Attendant of the OBi. If they have unlimited incoming air time they can use the Callback feature of the OBi. Call the OBi, hang up before the call is answered, the OBi will call them back offering the Auto Attendant features. They would need to set up the unit with the correct dial plan for this to work.

Although it can be done, getting a GV acct setup outside the USA is not easy. It is best to ask someone the the USA to setup an acct, because of a couple of hurdles GV sets up in the way (local Phone activation+US ip).

By now basic configuration such as you ask has been documented many times. Have a look around. If you still have problems feel free to ask.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jiver

could anyone clarify how i could do the following?
i got a headache making searches (not very familiar with VoIP advanced settings)

i have a obi110 in the US and another one in Canada (as soon as I bring it with me)
since it appears goog's blocking IP addresses outside US, I want to have it call through my obi in the US
ive already set up so that incoming calls can be received in Canada (through Sipgate forwarding)
now all i need is to setup outgoing
i have both devices under the same account (so I assume there is no need for that circle of trust thing)
im under the assumption that this dialing out would have to be done through the automated attendant?

so if i make the following one of my speeddial number: **9B2**2
where B is the Obi 9 digit number in the US
i assume at this point the automated attendant responds?
(do i need to additional setup? cant get AA to answer from my cellphone thats added to trusted callers)
pressing 2 would then allow dialing out?
**2 would pick the second GV line thats not being used as primary in the US obi110
afterwards would I be able to dial my desired number?
or would I need to play around with the InboundCallRoute settings (the ones that look like jibberish)...?

RonR

Jiver,

Why not simply configure both OBi's so that calls be made though either OBi without the use of the Auto Attendant (it's called single-stage dialing)?  It's a whole easier to set up than you might think at first glance.  Take a look at this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0

Incoming calls on either or both OBi's can even be configured to ring both OBi's, if desired (no Sipgate or Google Voice forwarding required).

Jiver

Woah...talk about gibberish
so doing all that, I would be able to dial straight, to a local number in Canada using GV through my Obi in the US?
or i still have to put something in speed dial, but have no delay in dialing thereafter?

Is there any way I could convince to write the exact syntax I need for the inbound call route (and the rest perhaps unless I just need to put my Obi#)?
to dial from Obi-US (SP2 i guess, being the 2nd GV line) using Obi-CAN
and I guess Obi-CAN receiving calls from Obi-US (SP2), where SP2 does not ring at Obi-US (only in CAN), if you say its possible without Sipgate forwarding

I assume no configuration is needed for Obi-US, right?

RonR

You simply configure both OBi's with:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:

{(Mcot)>(Mpli):pli},{(Mcot)>(<*1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<*2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<*8:>(Mli)):li},
{(Mcot)>(<*9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},
{(Mcot)>(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}

Note: Replace pli above (2 places) with the OBi's PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine trunk name (sp1,sp2,li,pp,tg1) as the OBi won't do it for you.

User Settings -> User Defined Digit Maps -> User Defined Digit MapX:

Label : cot
DigitMap : (200123456|200123457)

where 200123456 is the OBiTALK number for OBi #2 and 200123457 is the OBiTALK number for OBi #3.

Note: These are trusted caller OBiTALK numbers.  This DigitMap should also contain the OBiTALK numbers of any OBiON Apps that are used.

In the PHONE Port and Auto Attendant DigitMap's, change [1-9]x?*(Mpli) to [1-9]x?*@@.

In the PHONE Port and Auto Attendant OutboundCallRoute's, change {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp} to {([1-9]x?*@@.):pp}

Speed Dial #2 : PP(ob200123456)
Speed Dial #3 : PP(ob200123457)

where 200123456 is the OBiTALK number for OBi #2 and 200123457 is the OBiTALK number for OBi #3.

From either OBi, you make calls though the local OBi dialing normally:

18005551212  ->  Local PrimaryLine
**1 18005551212  ->  Local SP1 Service
**2 18005551212  ->  Local SP2 Service
**8 18005551212  ->  Local LINE Port
**9 200123456      ->  Local OBiTALK Service

From OBi #3, you make calls through OBi #2 by dialing:

2*18005551212  ->  OBi #2 PrimaryLine
2 **1 18005551212  ->  OBi #2 SP1 Service
2 **2 18005551212  ->  OBi #2 SP2 Service
2 **8 18005551212  ->  OBi #2 LINE Port
2 **9 200123456      ->  OBi #2 OBiTALK Service

From OBi #2, you make calls through OBi #3 by dialing:

3*18005551212  ->  OBi #3 PrimaryLine
3 **1 18005551212  ->  OBi #3 SP1 Service
3 **2 18005551212  ->  OBi #3 SP2 Service
3 **8 18005551212  ->  OBi #3 LINE Port
3 **9 200123456      ->  OBi #3 OBiTALK Service

If you'd like the other OBi's phone to ring on incoming calls (no Sipgate or Google Voice forwarding required):

For the trunk(s) you wish to ring the other OBi:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> InboundCallRoute
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> InboundCallRoute
Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute

change ph or {ph} to {ph,PP(ob290123456)}

where 290123456 is the OBiTALK number of the other OBi.

Jiver

Wow, thank you very much. ;)
Just one last question, when you say change pli in 2 places...
do you mean like where it says "{(Mcot)>(Mpli):pli}...."
i should put in "{(Mcot)>(Msp1):sp1}...." right?

sp1 being my primary line on Obi-US
while Obi-CAN is dialing/receiving calls from Obi-US's sp2...

as far as dialing from Obi-CAN through Obi-US...do i need to have 1+areacode+number?
or can i just dial 2*5551234 if i already set up that sp2's default area code?
or even better...
any way of dialing without the speed dial? making it the primary outbound code for Obi-CAN?

RonR

Quote from: Jiver on September 04, 2011, 08:29:33 PM
Just one last question, when you say change pli in 2 places...
do you mean like where it says "{(Mcot)>(Mpli):pli}...."
i should put in "{(Mcot)>(Msp1):sp1}...." right?

That's correct.

Quote from: Jiver on September 04, 2011, 08:29:33 PM
sp1 being my primary line on Obi-US
while Obi-CAN is dialing/receiving calls from Obi-US's sp2...

Each OBi needs to get the same changes described in this thread.  Each OBi needs to have pli replaced with its respective PrimaryLine.

Jiver

(if you missed before my edit)

as far as dialing from Obi-CAN through Obi-US...do i need to have 1+areacode+number?
or can i just dial 2*5551234 if i already set up sp2's default area code?
or even better...
any way of dialing without the speed dial? making it the primaryline for Obi-CAN?

RonR

Quote from: Jiver on September 04, 2011, 08:40:50 PM
or can i just dial 2*5551234 if i already set up that sp2's default area code?

The SP1/SP2/LINE Port DigitMaps haven't been changed, so you dial the same way as before.

Quote from: Jiver on September 04, 2011, 08:40:50 PM
or even better...
any way of dialing without the speed dial? making it the primaryline for Obi-CAN?

You don't need to use any Speed Dials if you don't want to.  The Speed Dial 2 and 3 have to be there for the all this to work, but you can forget about these two.  You can set up Speed Dials of your own (starting with 4) or not, that's your choice.

Jiver

well if I dial without speeddial,
how would Obi-CAN know to send my outgoing calls through Obi-US?

From OBi-CAN, you make calls through OBi-US by dialing:
2 **2 18005551212  ->  OBi-US SP2 Service

isnt that how I would go about calling normally?
since there wouldn't be a functional primaryline for Obi-CAN
(with google blocking canadian ip's from using gmail calling, the reason behind all this headache)

RonR

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking.

If this is too much of a headache, checking the Default boxes will restore your original settings.

Jiver

lol, thanks for all the help, didnt mean to sound ungrateful
i guess ill just deal with the 2**2 for now, much better than a monthly bill

mnjeepmale

I don't show that anyone has used the OBi in Malaysia. I will be traveling there in a few weeks and staying for several months.

Now I am not technical when it comes to voip. I have hooked up a OBi 110 with GV at my family house so they could cancel their landline. It was a simple process.

I want to have voip while in Malaysia so I can call back to the US for free and also have a US number with the OBi so friends/family can call me and not have to pay for an international call.

I used Magicjack before when I was in Malaysia but I really would like to use the OBi instead if it works.

Suggestions?

Stewart

Quote from: mnjeepmale on October 19, 2011, 05:46:36 PM
I don't show that anyone has used the OBi in Malaysia. I will be traveling there in a few weeks and staying for several months.
Sorry, I don't know whether Google Voice may be blocked from Malaysia.  But even if that's the case, you could still call to/from your family home for free on OBiTALK, as well as make calls thru their OBi.  If desired, you could also get an inexpensive SIP account.  For this purpose, you don't need 911, so e.g. Localphone ($0.99/mo. for unmetered incoming; $0.005/min. to most US destinations) may be suitable.  If you want the best quality, take a look at Anveo or Callcentric.

Assuming that you will have a cell phone with a local SIM, all of the above providers can forward to MY mobile for very reasonable rates.  For inexpensive outbound calling from your mobile, set up the OBi to call you back, or (if you have a smartphone) use the Web call offered by the provider.

mnjeepmale

I am going to try Google Voice from Malaysia. I doubt it is blocked there. I just bought another OBi 110 today for my trip.
That is where I get confused. What are the steps to connect to the OBiTALK in the US to make calls? How do I make that work? If they(family) were on the phone using the line(GV through OBi), would I need to wait until the line is free?

Can I make a OBi to OBi call? What are the steps?

cybuerke

Just to resurrect the "This Location Works" database:

Where were you?  UK
How were you connected to the Internet? ADSL
What kind of calls worked?  GV to  US 800 nos. (eg TellMe),  Canadian Landline
What kind of calls did not work?  None
Any other observations?  Excellent sound quality, even during ~20 minute call.

baky

I am traveling to VN and wondering; Has anyone try OBI with Google Voice in Vietnam yet?  Any response greatly appreciated.

ebbyt00@yahoo.com

i have 2 questions first how to use Circle of Trust if someone adds me to his Circle of Trust and what is the way to use his obi device ,all i have is softphone and how am i suppose use his device to call someone and what is the advantage of that ,could anyone help me .