News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi and GV Outside the USA

Started by 4myphones, March 07, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybob

Works perfectly using Google Voice from Brazil!

I sent an OBI 110 to Rio, after signing up with google voice and testing it in California.
When it arrived, all that was needed was to connect it up, and calls could be made to and form the U.S. The call quality was fantastic!!
(I have not used the line port yet, as i am working on the configurations needed for this. Follow my other posts to see my progress with this.)
Larry

GeeDub

Works well in the Dominican Republic.
FYI: Call phones in Gmail is available in Dominican without connecting through VPN or proxy server

skpv

Quote from: humble on May 18, 2011, 10:17:07 PM
Where were you? India
How were you connected to the Internet? Tomato Router - 2MBPS Speed
What kind of calls worked? Calls to and from US and Canada
What kind of calls did not work? None
Any other observations? None

Awesome and worked out of the box. Thanks.

Auto Provisioning is very useful where you don't rely on portforwarding etc.,

Keep up the good work

Hi there, would you please shed some light on your experience with India internet. I just send a device to New Delhi. they have MTNL broadband service. Obi seems not to be connected with the internet. I changed the port forwarding to Computer firewall.

TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
        UDP Ports: 5060, 5061
        UDP Port: 10000

Have no idea how should i fix it in the router, if this is the issue. I assume the MTNL modem is the router itself as it has ethernet ports at the back of it.

Any comment/ experiences would be helpful

Thanks

Stewart

Quote from: skpv on January 07, 2012, 01:22:23 PMI just send a device to New Delhi. they have MTNL broadband service. Obi seems not to be connected with the internet. I changed the port forwarding to Computer firewall.
Make and model of modem/router?  Do you have remote access to it?

From the phone connected to the OBi, if you dial ***1, do you hear an IP address?  Can you access that from a PC on the LAN and see the OBi Web pages?  If so, on the System Status page, is the System Time correct?  What shows for SP1, SP2 and OBiTALK Service Status?

If you dial **9 222 222 222, what do you hear?

skpv

Thanks for response. The modem is : sterlite sam300ax
Obihai tell the IP address after ***1 however, it is the same IP that shown in the computer internet connection. I could not access the modem and the obi page as well.
I opened the obitalk page and tried to add the obi, it simply didn't go through. When I dial the **5XXXX number it says to hang up after sending information to the server however on obitalk it shows no change. When dial **( 222 222 2222 it says that it was rejected by the service provider. Please guide me what I can do.
Thaks again

Stewart

Quote from: skpv on January 08, 2012, 09:08:17 AMObihai tell the IP address after ***1 however, it is the same IP that shown in the computer internet connection.
Something is very wrong; probably some incompatibility between OBi and modem.

Try this: power off OBi, modem and PC.  Power up modem and wait for it to come ready.  Then, power up OBi, wait one minute, then dial ***1 and confirm that it received an IP address.  I believe that with default settings in the modem, it should be 192.168.1.2 .  Then, boot up the PC (which I assume is set for automatic addressing) and see what IP address is shown for the Ethernet interface when you type
ipconfig
at a command prompt.  With luck, it will be different, e.g. 192.168.1.3 .  Then, you should be able to access the OBi web pages at 192.168.1.2 .

If you still get the same address for both PC and OBi, report the detail; I suspect that your modem is somehow misconfigured.

Stewart

I found this link http://mtnldelhi.in/services/con_s.doc which implies that the LAN ports are not all the same.  What devices do you have on each of the ports?  What address does the OBi get?  The PC?

skpv

Stewart, I will try these first thing in their morning and will report you back here. thanks for your help, am hopeful now.

skpv

Quote from: Stewart on January 08, 2012, 09:49:13 AM
I found this link http://mtnldelhi.in/services/con_s.doc which implies that the LAN ports are not all the same.  What devices do you have on each of the ports?  What address does the OBi get?  The PC?

Hello Stewart,

Just letting you know that the document was of great help. They really have dedicated port for VOIP. with your guidance, finally I could get the separate ips for pc and the obi however, it is yet to see if the obi web page can be accessed. **9 222 222 222 testing failed with no service, couldn't connect with my obi in Canada. But it is too early to say anything, I need one more try before I can give you full report. Hopefully, in next 24 hours I will be able to say for sure as I couldn't connect with my family in India.

Thanks

skpv

Hi there, Could try one more time. The IP address for the obihai and the PC are different, but can't access the webpage for both modem/ router and the obihai as well. Can't add device on obitalk either. Any suggestion?

Stewart

Quote from: skpv on January 10, 2012, 11:04:02 PM
Hi there, Could try one more time. The IP address for the obihai and the PC are different, but can't access the webpage for both modem/ router and the obihai as well. Can't add device on obitalk either. Any suggestion?
This sounds bizarre -- can you confirm that the PC was able to access the modem/router web pages (and the Internet), but when you plugged in the OBi, the PC is no longer able to access the modem/router at 192.168.1.1, even though it can still access the Internet?

I don't trust the "specialized" nature of the LAN ports on that device.  Try the following: power off modem, PC and OBi.  Connect the OBi to the LAN port where the PC was previously connected, i.e. the port that we know has proper access to the Internet.  Leave the PC disconnected for now.  Power up modem, wait for it to come ready, then power up the OBi.  Wait one minute, then try **9 222 222 222 .  If that works, we know that the OBi is accessing the Internet ok.  Next, power up the PC and connect it to the other "broadband" port.  Report whether it can access the Internet, the modem web page and the OBi web page.

If the above can't be made to work, one choice is to use a single port on the modem, with an external router.  Another option that may work is setting a static IP address in the OBi or the PC, but if the person there messes up, one may lose control of the device.

skpv

Hi Stewart,
It turn out that the modem cum router was dysfunctional. Currently it is working with GV and freephoneline crystal clear. Will try to do some call forwardings based on my need and suggested on this site and hopefully it will be all well.
Thanks a lot for your support.

skpv

Problem is that Obi in India show sleep status and can receive calls from other obi numbers. However, properly connected with working internet connection and power. The calls from on PTSN successfully forwarded using SP1 (Canada) and SP2 (GV) numbers. And no issue with call receiving through SP1 and SP2.
Please help!

paulpresident

Quote from: MagicVoice on April 04, 2011, 04:32:45 AM
Where were you? Philippines
How were you connected to the Internet?PLDT DSL
What kind of calls worked?Calls to and from US and Canada
What kind of calls did not work?None
Any other observations?The bigger your bandwidth, the better the call quality.  Calls to and from US cellphones work as well.

Hi, did you have to use a cloaked /masked IP to get a Google Voice number or did Google not block you and got a number right away? Thanks very much and best of health to you

mykmayk

Where were you? Philippines
How were you connected to the Internet? Bayantel DSL
What kind of calls worked? Calls to and from the US
What kind of calls did not work? Some US Verizon landline phones can't seem to call the GV number.  GV via OBi from the Phils. can call those same US Verizon phones just fine.
Any other observations? No proxies required.  Calls to/from GV via OBi located in the Phils. are freeeeeeeeeee.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

JeanObiUser

I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. I'll be overseas in a few weeks. I'll be taking my Obi which is configured to use Google Voice to make calls. I plan to connect both the ethernet and local phone port line to the Obi. Since the local phone port is connected, when I call a local phone number (local to that country) on the phone will is make the call using the local phone port line and not the ethernet connection? And when I make a call to the usa will the Obi know to make the call using the ethernet collection and not the local phone port line?

I want to know how the Obi will know or differentiate between the two types of calls. How will it know when to use the internet cat5 cable to make the call and when to use the phone port? I guess this question is also applicable in the usa when I have both the ethernet connected and the phone port line connected as well.

How can you specific which method to use to make the out going call? Thanks in advance.

Jean

jimates

If this is a temporary change, you can press **8 before dialing the local number. This will send the call on the land line. Since the Obi is already set up to use google voice as default that will not change, you can dial as you normally have.

Also, pressing # on the phone will connect you directly to the land line's dial tone and you can dial local.

JeanObiUser

Thanks Jimates for the reply. That was very helpful. Is there a way to make it the opposite. Letting the land line port be the default line dialed through (without needing to dial "**8" or "#" first) and the google voice ethernet line needing # to activate its dial tone? I hope that was clear.

Also how do I become a Obi beta user like yourself ? Sounds intriguing. thanks in advance.

Jean

jimates

Physical Interfaces -> Phone -> PHONE  Port -> Primary Line = PSTN (un-check the Obitalk Settings box & check the default box)

This will send all direct dialed calls out the line.
To use the SP services, pre-pend **1 for SP1 or **2 SP2 service.

If you want an automatic setup where the proper service is used based on the digits you dial, without pre-pending anything, you can change the phone port outbound call route. With the correct call route you would just change the default outgoing line when moving from the US, and visa versa when coming back.

RonR speaks both digitmap and callroute. I haven't taken the initiative to really learn it because he does such a great job with it.

(I have so much knowledge now that I am not using, why learn something else I won't use.)

Tropitaste

//

I have been using Google Voice and OBI in Suriname for over a year successfully.